Three Mounts for Daenerys

iheartseverus

[i]three mounts must you ride...one to bed and one to dread and one to love...[/i]

So say the voices to Dany in the House of the Undying. Some very interesting words here, particularly thinking about the word 'mount,' and the word 'dread.' I think we can assume from the first 'mount' (one to bed...) that the word is used in the Biblical sense, meaning the sexual act, rather than a mount as in a horse (or a dragon.) If so, then Dany's first mount was, of course, Drogo. And its true that their relationship was primarily based on sexual interaction. So, if all three mounts refer to sexual interaction, who might be the 'one to dread?' And does 'dread' in this prophecy mean, as we use the word today, something you [i]really[/i] hate to even think about, like a visit to the dentist? Or, might it mean 'fearsome,' as in a dread-lord or a dread-fort? Many of us think Tyrion is on his way to join up with Dany. Could he figure into this somehow? And for the final mount, one to love--quick now! A show of hands! How many of us instantly said 'Jon Snow?'

Its also interesting to speculate whether the three mounts relate in order to the three treasons that are part of the same prophecy, so that it would look like this:

Mount: One to bed
Treason: Once for blood

Mount: One to dread
Treason: Once for gold

Mount: One to love
Treason: Once for love

I honestly don't think that Jon and Daenerys are gonna be a couple.
Jon made his vows to the nights watch. He was tempted by Stannis who promised to give him all he ever longed for but he resisted. I think it's sure that he's gonna stay in the Watch.
He had his sexy-time ( ;) ) with Ygritte. That will be his first and last love.

Now to Daenerys. I don't think that you can count Drogo as the one "to mount".
I think the things that happend before the "prophecy" don't count. I assume that it refers only to the future.
And I also think we haven't seen any of the prophecised "mounts" or treasons yet.

[quote name='General_Lee' post='1659859' date='Jan 23 2009, 14.19']Now to Daenerys. I don't think that you can count Drogo as the one "to mount".
I think the things that happend before the "prophecy" don't count. I assume that it refers only to the future.
And I also think we haven't seen any of the prophecised "mounts" or treasons yet.[/quote]

That's interesting input, General Lee. I took the 'three mounts must you ride' to mean 'three mounts must you ride [i]in your lifetime[/i].' But your interpretation is certainly just as valid.

[quote name='General_Lee' post='1659859' date='Jan 23 2009, 12.19']I honestly don't think that Jon and Daenerys are gonna be a couple.
Jon made his vows to the nights watch. He was tempted by Stannis who promised to give him all he ever longed for but he resisted. I think it's sure that he's gonna stay in the Watch.
He had his sexy-time ( ;) ) with Ygritte. That will be his first and last love.

Now to Daenerys. I don't think that you can count Drogo as the one "to mount".
[b]I think the things that happend before the "prophecy" don't count.[/b] I assume that it refers only to the future.
And [b]I also think we haven't seen any of the prophecised "mounts" or treasons yet.[/b][/quote]

I'm inclined to agree.

[quote name='Baratheon_bastard' post='1659954' date='Jan 23 2009, 15.11']Call me crazy, but I always thought Drogo [i]was[/i] the 'one to love'. Dany always referred to him as her love and remembers him quite fondly and sadly; she doesn't ever really think, "Wow, that was some good sex we had!"

As far as the one to bed and dread, I'm not totally sure, as I'm only just starting my first reread.[/quote]

But if Drogo were the 'one to love,' wouldn't that mean the various parts of the prophecy must be taken out of order?

Then again, Dany hasn't loved a lot of persons. All she's ever had was Viserys and various Magisters and rich men. Not exactly the most lovable of people.
By that standard Drogo might be her love. He gave her a sense of security and power, something she's never felt before. And even though she mourned Viserys (to some extent), I think she cheered when Drogo chose to protect her in such a radical way.
So maybe Drogo was "the one to love"?

And am I the only one who thinks that Euron is "the one to dread"? He is after all interrested in her as a wife, and he sent Vic after her (although he might just take her for himself).

[quote name='Baratheon_bastard' post='1659954' date='Jan 23 2009, 15.11']Call me crazy, but I always thought Drogo [i]was[/i] the 'one to love'. Dany always referred to him as her love and remembers him quite fondly and sadly; she doesn't ever really think, "Wow, that was some good sex we had!"

As far as the one to bed and dread, I'm not totally sure, as I'm only just starting my first reread.[/quote]

Honestly while she might say she loved him, their relationship was mostly only sexual and why I'd say he was the "one to bed". She might not say that was "some good sex" but when she remembers him it's almost always in regards to sex.

[quote name='Baratheon_bastard' post='1660092' date='Jan 23 2009, 22.34']Maybe Victarion will be the one to bed and Euron will be the one to dread! :D[/quote]

Good idea! Or the other way round, we don't know.
[i]Witless and ruthless... the Greyjoy boys. [/i] :pirate:
No hang on, I'm mixing things up ^^

Now you guys, do you seriously think that Danaerys would bed either one of the Ironmen? I think they are not smart and charming enough for her.
Okay, maybe Euron, but certainly not Victarion ;)

[quote name='General_Lee' post='1660112' date='Jan 23 2009, 16.47']Now you guys, do you seriously think that Danaerys would bed either one of the Ironmen? I think they are not smart and charming enough for her.
Okay, maybe Euron, but certainly not Victarion ;)[/quote]

Maybe she'll feel she [i]has[/i] to, for whatever reason, perhaps something to do with the 'gold treason'? Like she's ready to begin her coup for the crown of Westeros, somebody slick suddenly steals/pirates all her treasure and she's helpless to proceed without the ever-lovely Greyjoy boys. Now, that'd be something to [i]dread[/i]!

ETA: But then, she could always pull a black widow scenario afterward. Get her three 'children' to flame them into crisps. (Hey, thinking about, that'd be great--then we could add them to our limericks in the Cannibalism thread!)

Guest Other-in-law
I don't understand how anyone can discount Drogo as the mount to bed. The widespread interpretation is that the three prediction triplets correspond to the three description triplets, so the three mounts go with the bride of fire. Thus the image is of the Horse Drogo gave her as a wedding present walking to the darkling stream under the sea of stars is the first mount.

Imo, Drogo is the mount to bed, a Greyjoy (probably Euron) is the ount to dread, and Jon is the mount to love. The last doesn't necessarily require any more than a one night stand, followed by a death in battle...it doesn't have to be saccharine reigning happily ever after.

As to the prophecies applying only to the future, well that's plainly false. Rhaegar was dead for fifteen years by the time the prophecy happened, as were Aerys and Viserys, who also appeared, and the poisoner who was dragged behind her Silver, and Mirri Maz Duur, Willem Darry, etc..

As to Dany's choice in marrying an Ironman, I don't think her opinion will automatically come into it. Ironborn traditions are not all about being nice and saying please.

I like Drogon as the mount to dread. If he gets a taste for the human flesh, I think it will upset Dany, the Mother of her people

If not that, I'd say the second mount is a metaphor for Victarion's ships when she sail east across the great sea to Pyke

I'm not completely sold on the idea that the three mounts have to do with sex. Obviously, "the one to bed" does. I've felt this was Drago as sex was really the basis of their relationship. However, in her limited understanding of what love is, he could qualify as the "one to love". But I don't think so, and I have no one to offer for this part. I think the "one to dread is going to the black dragon. The spoiler chapters seem to be setting up her starting to doubt whether she has done the right thing in birthing the dragons. She is having a harder and harder time controlling them and they are starting to grow at an alarming rate. The end of the chapter that was posted on GRRM's website where the man dumps out the childs bones is the first clue as to how dangerous they can be. Having only read the summaries of the additional chapters from Daenerys, it seems that she is alot more unsure of how she is going to be able to ride them and to use them in battle, because it seems they are becoming more primal and less civilized (for lack of a better description).

Its interesting that no one so far has suggested Jaime Lannister in any way connected with Dany, neither as bed, dread or love. I take it everybody's got their own theories about Jaime's fate and its [i]not[/i] going to involve DanyBedDreadLove?

Jon doesn't take Winterfell from Stannis, because he knows by right it should go to Sansa and Arya. I also don't think Jon respects Stannis much as king. So, any decree he might give wouldn't be worth much. He also has weighing heavy on himself the trouble to the North, and the Others, which he knows is coming. It's his responsibility to stay there and command the Watch against that threat.

On the other hand, once the Others and dealt with and the kingdom restored to a single monarchy, if Daenerys absolves him of his Night's Watch oath, then he is once again free to play the field, so to speak. Which I think she just may, and hope she does.

And, Prophecy just states what will happen in her lifetime. Past events count, and I'm of the thought that Drogo goes into the "mount to bed" category. After all, their relationship started with sex, and grew to love later. So, no matter what happens, it's still based on sex, not love.

And definitely Euron is the mount to dread. The one man capable of stealing her dragons? I hope she lets her dragons feast on him!

[quote name='iheartseverus' post='1660196' date='Jan 23 2009, 17.47']Its interesting that no one so far has suggested Jaime Lannister in any way connected with Dany, neither as bed, dread or love. I take it everybody's got their own theories about Jaime's fate and its [i]not[/i] going to involve DanyBedDreadLove?[/quote]
You've posed quite a stumper with your OP, iheartseverus. I for one tend to think that Jaime will be one of the "three heads of the dragon," but that's because I believe Jaime was fathered by Aerys, and that Cersei and all her kids are living on borrowed time already, so that by the time Dany gets to Westeros, Jaime and Jon will be the only other two Targs running around (I fully support Blauer Dragon's Voldemort Theory, in other words -- he, of course, thinks Tyrion is the Lannister Who Is Actually a Targ). But I don't know that Jaime and Jon being the other two heads means that either or both of them need be part of this "three mounts" prophecy. I greatly suspect (and fear) that the "dread" will indeed refer to a Greyjoy. Or, as some have already posted, Drogon seriously running amok. The "one to love" could be either Jon or Jaime -- or neither. Maybe she'll love someone else, but the dragons will "choose" Jon and Jaime because of their Targ blood? Maybe her dragons will continue to grow less civilized -- maybe one human linked to three dragons just isn't enough -- and it'll be Jon and Jaime who are able (through their mystical Targ-blood-dragon ties) to help Dany rein them in and "civilize" them? There are so many questions and even more possible answers...

The best crackpot suggestion I can come up with for her mount "to love" is [b]Jojen Reed[/b]. With his greensight, he'd be able to predict exactly where and how Dany would most enjoy being pleasured (he'd put Irri and/or Jhiqui -- whichever one it is that occasionally helps Dany handle her business -- to shame, no doubt) -- not to mention his mystical abilities possibly allowing him to "communicate" with the dragons. He could predict the actions of her enemies. And from what we know of the Reeds, they seem awfully loyal. A perfect match, no? :)

hmmmm, I missed in Blauer Dragon's Voldemort theory just how Jon being the son of Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne makes him a Targ! (But I'm not worried, I have full faith that our favorite Dragon will be along here any time now to clarify things!)

You believe Jaime was fathered by Aerys--so, that means Cersei was as well, since they're twins? And, I take it you don't see Tyrion the dragon-fan (meaning dragon-dragons, not Blauer Dragons!) having a hand in housetraining Dany's wild children?

Archived