Third Narnia gets green light

gippu

But even I, who love the Narnia books, will not pay money to watch [i]The Last Battle[/i]. Lewis may have thought he ended the series on a positive note, but it never seemed that way to me. :cry:

[i]And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that [b]they all lived happily ever after[/b]. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page. Now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which on one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which [b]every chapter is better then the one before[/b].[/i]

Please tell me how this is depressing.

[quote name='El-ahrairah' post='1684363' date='Feb 12 2009, 12.24']Are you kidding? Compared to [i]Caspian[/i], [i]Dawn Treader [/i] is [b]far[/b] more cinematic.[/quote]

Oh, I completely agree. I was commenting much more on the disaster that was Caspian. I thought it sunk the movie franchise, and, therefore, I'm surprised a 3rd movie is getting made.

[quote name='Frank Stark' post='1684514' date='Feb 13 2009, 08.09']Oh, I completely agree. I was commenting much more on the disaster that was Caspian. I thought it sunk the movie franchise, and, therefore, I'm surprised a 3rd movie is getting made.[/quote]

Are you kidding? The movie made nearly $420 million worldwide at the boxoffice. Sure it didn't do all that great in the USA (<$150 mill), but there is a whole big wide world of movie goers outside the USA which can turn a ho-hum box office performance in the USA into a "hit" movie.

Collective wisdom is that studios earn about 55% of the box office gross. At a production cost of about $200 million the studio will have come out a few million in the black from the boxoffice taking. With DVD sales and merchandising I'd say they made a tidy earner out of Caspian (or as my family like to call it "Prince Capsicum").

Sure the profits from this movie are not as astronomical as some we could name, but there is still cash in this cow yet to milk out. And 'Dawn Treader' could turn the series around rather than see it fall further still. In fact with the moderate profitability of "Capsicum" they would be mad not to make the third one. Indeed if they only repeat "Capsicum's" results you can be sure they will make number 4.

And don't take this to mean I think "Capsicum" was a good movie. I've never actually watched the whole thing through, and having watched nearly 2/3 of it I am not all that fussed about seeing the last 1/3. And neither do I care that much if any furrther movies in the series get made. I wouldn't call it a steaming pile of crap, but it is certainly lacking in many ways.

I'll stand corrected then.

My comment was mostly based the studio's acknowledgement that they didn't do as well as they would have liked. They blamed it on the US release date sandwiched between other summer blockbusters.

Well, and it was also based on how bad I thought it was.

[quote name='El-ahrairah' post='1684513' date='Feb 12 2009, 13.09'][i]And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that [b]they all lived happily ever after[/b]. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page. Now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which on one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which [b]every chapter is better then the one before[/b].[/i]

Please tell me how this is depressing.[/quote]
Because I've spent the last ten or so chapters sobbing without a break to get to that point. :P

[quote name='Frank Stark' post='1688347' date='Feb 17 2009, 06.07']Well, and it was also based on how bad I thought it was.[/quote]

I just watched the movie in full, all I can say is deus ex machina. The trees!?! give me a break. I agree they shouldn't make another movie based on how badly I think of Caspian. I also think Dinklage sucked in this movie. If this were his only performance upon which to make a casting decision for ASOIAF I would have said kick him to the curb. Fortunatley it isn't, so I have to put it down to crappy direction and screenplay.

I'd watch Caspian again over the latest Indiana Jones movie though.

Archived