World of Warcraft

Arataniello

I choose this one.

[quote]Ok, but there's three mages. Which one should change their playstyle however much it is, sacrifice a significant amount of damage, for the raid? We've got a guy who's been fire since 60. A guy who's been arcane since 60. Ok, if I had my choice I'd make the other guy do it, he's obnoxious and he was frost in BC. Right now it's a moot point, everyone who has a character capable of providing replenishment is a tank or healer, which would require two people changing, and likely also someone effectively changing their main. But in 3.1, how do we pick who should change, and how do we say, even to the group "Someone's got to stop playing the spec they enjoy and play another spec that they might hate, because we need Replenishment"?

Of course, if we could get to only needing 2 healers, and feel like we could go forward with 2 healers... then the shaman could bring his hunter, which he'd not have a problem with anyway.[/quote]Okay, here's what you do.

Say in your guild website/chat/whatever that as of 3.1, we're going to need replenishment on a regular basis from a raider that has good attendance. That you know it might suck to take one for the team, but it's important if they want to have success in Ulduar.

Then one of them should volunteer. Why? Because they're raiders, damnit.

[quote name='Aratan' post='1684454' date='Feb 12 2009, 10.40']I start, merely because I can think of a subtitle.[/quote]
I like this subtitle, we should go with this thread. The ice stone provided a lot of entertainment yesterday actually, the comments were pretty funny. A GM assured our DK that they were working on refreezing the ice stone as soon as possible.

Is it possible to be playing without having applied the patch? I keep seeing a lot of "OH NOES THE ICE STONE" still being yelled in cities, and I can't decide whether it's them just continuing from yesterday or whether they're actually still getting those messages.

I take it back. I've got the patch, and I'm still seeing the messages myself (when I look at my general chat window).

Guest thebadlady
Me too, I hate to think I have given up on dating (even tho that may be the truth).

Anyway, past events have made me think its better to play with fake frends than real friends cuz the relationships can be hurt. Because I am a horrible player and am in it only for the larfs and human contact. Or as human as pixals and TS can be. :P

I decided I simply do not like BT and thats why I am not leveling. And the quests there are stupid. Is there another zone I can quest in at level 71 with so so gear?

[url="http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Quel%27dorei&n=Timmet"]Timmet[/url]

Yes, I logged out with my fishing pole equipped and I was leveling crossbows. I have more weapons for him than I have hair.

Dammit, it seems so obvious now.

I'm still getting the Ice Stone has melted messages, and so is everyone else. AFAIK, it is not possible to play without a patch, so not sure what to tell you. I'm just sick of the global warming joke :(

Ro- I hate, hate, hate Borean Tundra. Skip on over to Vengeance Landing, zep from UC.

I've had strained friendships in regards to WoW in the past. Most of that stemmed from raid leading, or from being a guild officer. I found it hard to separate my personal feelings for my friends from guild and raid decisions. I don't think I'd put myself in the same position, because it really caused additional stress when this is a game that is meant to be played for fun.

I feel sorry for yag's lonely thread :cry:

Ro, go to the Howling Fjord. I liked it better than the Boring Tundra.

Personally, I'm not complaining about the entry level difficulty of Naxx. I'm in a tiny, brand new guild with people I didnt play with before Lich king, and pugging the extra naxx spots is helping us fill our ranks without causing us to wipe a million times in Naxx10. With the exception of last night, which was the worst naxx run since week one for a bunch of reasons. Our guild is up to 9 now, hopefully we can get everyone on consistently so we can become a solid team before 3.1. I do hope Ulduar is reasonably harder than naxx though.

[quote name='Eefphrodite' post='1684466' date='Feb 12 2009, 14.46']Is it possible to be playing without having applied the patch? I keep seeing a lot of "OH NOES THE ICE STONE" still being yelled in cities, and I can't decide whether it's them just continuing from yesterday or whether they're actually still getting those messages.[/quote]

I think that the issue has been identified, but was NOT corrected by that mini patch yesterday. The patch was fixing something to do with probelms with firewalls; I read at WoWinsider that there is to be a restart at some point to fix the Ice Stone repeat emote.

But in your case, it is probably some d*ckwad players who think it is hilarious to keep perpetuating the Ice Stone thing long after it has been fixed. Hey, at least it is better than Chuck Norris jokes or the "anal <insert talent/spell>" tells that spasm through trade from time to time.

Phel,

[quote]Ok, but there's three mages. Which one should change their playstyle however much it is, sacrifice a significant amount of damage, for the raid? We've got a guy who's been fire since 60. A guy who's been arcane since 60. Ok, if I had my choice I'd make the other guy do it, he's obnoxious and he was frost in BC. Right now it's a moot point, everyone who has a character capable of providing replenishment is a tank or healer, which would require two people changing, and likely also someone effectively changing their main. But in 3.1, how do we pick who should change, and how do we say, even to the group "Someone's got to stop playing the spec they enjoy and play another spec that they might hate, because we need Replenishment"?[/quote]

I'm not suggesting you make anyone change their spec. I'm just saying I would be annoyed by the fact that none of the three would do it just because it would be best for the raid. I can only judge by the people I play with. They aren't saints, but we do spend a great deal of effort making sure we have tanks, healers, and replenishment for our runs. We log alts, and change specs as needed. Not because we're martyrs, or nice guys, but because we want to raid and it makes sense. That's all I'm saying. :)

And playing arcane without replenishment must suck balls :o

Edit to add- I don't mean to pick on mages, but... I do think its not a great sacrifice to play frost instead of fire, or arcane, tbh. Even if one's DPS is slightly lower, you are still going to be the hero of the hour for bringing replenish, and that must be some sort of ego boost.

BT was probably a better place to level (more quests, easier to get around without a flying mount) but I really had a lot more fun in HF. The place looks awesome, you get to help sea lions fuck, and the quests are largely more fun. And none of that stupid mist crap.

Though you have to do the murloc questline in BT. It is AWESOME.

Raiding is fun, but it's not where I want to do happy fun things with my friends and goof off. That's what 5-mans and arenas and pvp and weird questing is for. Raiding...for me, raiding has too many other people's expectations on it to goof off reasonably. When you're just fucking around with friends it's usually fine. When you fuck around and it costs people 15-20 minutes of their time because of a wipe, time that they budgeted for a specific purpose in their day - it's not really fair to them.

I guess for me raids are the tax I pay to socialize with other friends, but it's not where the socializing is done for me. Maybe that's because of the role I tend to play in the raid; having to keep a big spreadsheet of who has how much DKP and trying to get all the gear sorted out doesn't scream 'omg fun' most of the time. It's a lot more like work. And work can be fun - but it's a means to having fun more often.

Maybe that's the real dissatisfaction for me. I like raiding because for overcoming hard communal challenges. That's what makes it fun for me. It's fun learning new fights, doing a good job and knowing that you really did make a difference in overcoming a new challenge. It's cool being part of the choreography of the fight and when it all comes together. Naxx...really doesn't have that right now for me, and it really never did.

The two-minute evocation helps.

I think if we did say "guys, we're going to need replenishment, hate to say it, but someone's going to have to bite the bullet and make a change to fit it in", the mage who'd switch is one of the ones I'd really not like to be changing his spec; he's reliable, competent, not a jerk who pulls the next group because otherwise his Hot Streak proc would have been wasted...

But while I definitely see him being willing to change things up if it'll make the difference between winning and losing, I hate the idea that for our main run, one or more people are going to [i]have[/i] to make sacrifices like that. For alt runs, whatever, a few people bite the bullet this week and someone else does it next week.

Ah well, we'll do what we do. Which warlock tree is going to pick up replenishment, anyway?

Phelan, I'm not sure what to tell you.
The encounters are designed with replenishment in mind. Therefore you need to get someone to spec to a build that has replenishment. Its pretty simple. If no one in your raid wants to you have 3 choices. Recruit someone who will, or not raid, or find another way to work through the encounters.

Raiding is a group activity. If no one is willing to spec to help out the group maybe they need to stick with solo content, or better yet go play a single player game.

I prefered Borean Tundra to HF. Many of the quests were just great. Murloc suit, and Saurfang!

Oooh, Dual Spec FAQ up on MMO-Champion-

[quote]Nethaera: How do you switch between specs?
Ghostcrawler: Players will be able to switch between their talent specs by visiting any Lexicon of Power provided they̢۪ve paid for the ability to have a secondary spec. Lexicons of Power will be available in major cities, and inscribers will also be able to create a new item that summons one. Anyone can purchase this item, but it requires a ritual of several players to summon it for use by the party. It̢۪s similar to a repair bot in that it will exist in the world for a short duration. It̢۪s important to keep in mind that you will not be able to switch specs while in combat or Arenas. While you won̢۪t be able to switch your spec without the Lexicon, you will still be able to look at your secondary spec whenever you want to.[/quote]

[quote][b]Ghostcrawler: With the dual spec feature, we are going to allow players who respec to configure all their talents before they get saved. [/b]They will be able to allocate the points, then choose if they want to use that as their spec, rather than needing to carefully diagram out their talents ahead of time. This will allow players a little more freedom when deciding on the talents they want to pick and avoid costly mistakes.[/quote]

Woot. I can't tell you how much money I've spent to respec over a mispent point

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1684501' date='Feb 12 2009, 14.01']Raiding is fun, but it's not where I want to do happy fun things with my friends and goof off. That's what 5-mans and arenas and pvp and weird questing is for. Raiding...for me, raiding has too many other people's expectations on it to goof off reasonably. When you're just fucking around with friends it's usually fine. When you fuck around and it costs people 15-20 minutes of their time because of a wipe, time that they budgeted for a specific purpose in their day - it's not really fair to them.

I guess for me raids are the tax I pay to socialize with other friends, but it's not where the socializing is done for me. Maybe that's because of the role I tend to play in the raid; having to keep a big spreadsheet of who has how much DKP and trying to get all the gear sorted out doesn't scream 'omg fun' most of the time. It's a lot more like work. And work can be fun - but it's a means to having fun more often.

Maybe that's the real dissatisfaction for me. I like raiding because for overcoming hard communal challenges. That's what makes it fun for me. It's fun learning new fights, doing a good job and knowing that you really did make a difference in overcoming a new challenge. It's cool being part of the choreography of the fight and when it all comes together. Naxx...really doesn't have that right now for me, and it really never did.[/quote]

Raiding is actually where I get the most socializing done. Probably because it allows almost all of us to be together... and most significantly, we're actually together. Because of the other raids people are in, and complaining angrily about, the guild hardly exists as a guild except on Thursday nights.

But at the same time, it does have that responsibility attachment. I don't goof off in raids like I do in a 5-man, because I refuse to waste 9 people's time like that. I refuse to skip a raid even if I'm in a terrible mood (like I am today). A friend suggested a "hey you're gonna be single on Valentine's Day and that's terrible!" party that's tonight, and I'm not going because of the raid commitment. Well, that and the fact that I'd just stand in a corner alone... This illustrates both how I feel responsible to the raid and why I'm in a bad mood.

If a part of NYC explodes sometime on Saturday, it was probably me somehow converting anger, frustration, and some depression into some sort of spirit bomb. Without knowing how.

[quote name='RaceBannon42' post='1684526' date='Feb 12 2009, 14.19']Phelan, I'm not sure what to tell you.
The encounters are designed with replenishment in mind. Therefore you need to get someone to spec to a build that has replenishment. Its pretty simple. If no one in your raid wants to you have 3 choices. Recruit someone who will, or not raid, or find another way to work through the encounters.

Raiding is a group activity. If no one is willing to spec to help out the group maybe they need to stick with solo content, or better yet go play a single player game.[/quote]

Yes I keep posting. Work is currently akin to banging my head against a brick wall. A brick wall with shards of glass embedded in it. Shards of glass which retain the residue of the acid stored in the flasks they once were.

I don't think, if we were to say "hey guys, we need a replenishment", everybody would say "screw you". Someone would do it. Would anyone say "hey we're going to need replenishment, so I'll respec frost"? Probably not. Especially as people often tunnel-vision.

The real question is if it will be viable to work through the encounters without Replenishment. Is it the "yes, but it will be harder and you might need a trick or to put this encounter off until you've cleared the other wings a couple of times"? Is it "only if you overgear the encounter, which you can't do unless your people also attend 25 man Ulduar"? Is it "For these encounters yes, for those ones no, not no how, not never"? If we can work around it and things will just be harder on some fights, that's ok. If it reaches the point where we are literally stuck without it, that's rather less fine, but we'll find a way around it.

Obviously, we all want to enjoy ourselves. I don't want anyone to have to cut their own enjoyment back so that the group can have more enjoyment, but I suspect it'll be necessary.

Unless we can actually switch to two healers in general, but I don't think we can yet afford to do that. Hell, how are you supposed to do Kel'thuzad with two healers? Pray neither gets frost blasted? Or rely on dps or tanks with healing spells to help then?

Guest thebadlady
I like being single on Valentines Day. :P I am going to go out and buy myself jewelry this afternoon. :D I have had a blast with the stuff I have pugged. People aren't fucking off, but its a happy environment and there are lots of jokes. (Yes, and even some anal[eviseration] jokes *sigh* - you can't have everything). I have also been meeting fun peeps by playing with their alts. I'd say our server has a generally nice group of people on it. *shrug* Its a game and as long as you get what you want out of it, its worth the monthly fee.

Server is restarting now, hopefully that fucking message will stop.

Oh, I am getting dc's like a whore gets diseases. I even shut off my firewall, but its still happening. Bah.

[quote]Unless we can actually switch to two healers in general, but I don't think we can yet afford to do that. Hell, how are you supposed to do Kel'thuzad with two healers? Pray neither gets frost blasted? Or rely on dps or tanks with healing spells to help then?[/quote]

This is in no way meant to sound elitist, I'm just sharing my experience:

We've always run with two healers. Resto druid and a resto shaman (me). What problems are you having when one healer gets frostblasted? Druid usually just hits me with a regrowth+swiftmend, and I spam lesser healing wave on him, or maybe a macro'd NS+Healing Wave.

Meh, cockblocked by Gluth again. Downed patch and grobulus in one-shot, then died on Gluth 5 times. Just can't seem to get a hunter who can effectively kite the chow. We even had an enh sham to help and it still didn't work. Best try was 3%, before a wave of 5 zombies got through, and then Gluth enraged when we got him back down 12%. *sighs*

/2 WTB Hunter who can kite. Will pay AH price or better. pst.

Archived