NBA

Arakasi

[quote name='Triskele' post='1719202' date='Mar 13 2009, 23.48']My Blazers lost a tough one at home the other night to Dallas and were down at half at home tonight against NJ. Not good. We haven't had a major lull this year but losing tonight would be the beginning of one. The West is so frickin' competitive that lulls cannot be tolerated.[/quote]
The Blazers are on an important road trip now. They've got 5 in a row on the road and the only sure loss is at Cleveland. The games at Atlanta, Memphis, Indiana, and Milwaukee are all winnable. It would be nice to go 3-2 on this trip and maybe pick up some road momentum for the playoffs.

I'm not overly concerned about the loss to Dallas. Rudy was out and, he's only one guy, but I think he's pretty important to the team.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1720575' date='Mar 16 2009, 01.25']Yeah, we came back and won that NJ game which was huge but we had one of our worst games of the year today losing at Atlanta by 18. Atlanta is much improved in the last couple years but we can hope to beat those guys on the road these days. A few games which are way more winnable but in the super tight West, we need to win them.[/quote]
That was a bad second half. I can see the Blazers making maybe the second round of the playoffs this year, but they've got to be able to beat teams like Atlanta on the road on a semi-consistent basis. Atlanta's a good team, but not great. The Blazers are still really young though, which can be tough to remember when you want them to win.

I think Atlanta lately has really picked it up, going back to their early season form. They've beat some very good teams lately, including Utah, NO and Detroit. Detroit is being a bit weird though. They go out and beat Boston and Orlando on the road, and now this week they lose to the Knicks and Memphis? That is a big wtf moment.

Doesnt Detroit almost play better on the road then they do at home?

Another theori for your enjoyment.

Hulk or David Banner, aka Tech man or Sheed.

If you look at Sheed its almost (or not almost) as if he's cruising and content at reversing the ball, grabbing a board or 2 and tossing up a few 3s. Thats because thats david banner or just plain sheed. If you want him to become old, prime, portland sheed. the one who was or could easily be a 20-10 guy you want the hulk or tech sheed. This one dominates the post, rebounds agressively, blocks shots and gets T like he's an english lord 'cause that the price you have to pay. If you want sheed to be the player he can be, you need to live with the fact that he will get 30+ T a season. Just like the Hulk he'll get stronger (read play better) but just like the hulk he'll smash everything (read your season and/or ball club)
Thats way the sheed we see now is like sheed on prosac, content to drop a 3-bomb or 2, averaging in the low teens and a few boards.

of course a few wise cracks like Add On will say that they already knew but I wrote it down ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I just got through watching Lebron play against the MAvs. The Cavs dominated them. But my god is Lebron a douchbag on the sideline. Its ridiculous what a huge dork that guy is. Seriously with all the dancing and the horribly awkward looking choreographed celebrations. Who died and made you Ty Thomas? I cant wait for the hottest team in ball right now to stomp on James' nuts in the second round of the postseason.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1737663' date='Mar 29 2009, 14.43']I just got through watching Lebron play against the MAvs. The Cavs dominated them. But my god is Lebron a douchbag on the sideline. Its ridiculous what a huge dork that guy is. Seriously with all the dancing and the horribly awkward looking choreographed celebrations. Who died and made you Ty Thomas? I cant wait for the hottest team in ball right now to stomp on James' nuts in the second round of the postseason.[/quote]

Which hottest team in basketball? If Cleveland is 1 they play Detroit or Chicago, likely Chicago. The Bulls don't match up well with the Cavs and will lose. Then they play either Atlanta or Miami in the second. Neither of those teams are very hot. Really I'm quite clueless to who you think are the hottest team in basketball that they'd play in the second round. Maybe you mean Atlanta, but I severely doubt they'd be able to beat the Cavs. You certainly can't mean the Bulls. :P

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1737825' date='Mar 29 2009, 18.51']Which hottest team in basketball? If Cleveland is 1 they play Detroit or Chicago, likely Chicago. The Bulls don't match up well with the Cavs and will lose. Then they play either Atlanta or Miami in the second. Neither of those teams are very hot. Really I'm quite clueless to who you think are the hottest team in basketball that they'd play in the second round. Maybe you mean Atlanta, but I severely doubt they'd be able to beat the Cavs. You certainly can't mean the Bulls. :P[/quote]

Considering only a half game seperates the the two and they play each other to close out the year, id say the Bulls get the 7 slot and beat the decrepit Celts in round one, and dodge Lebron until the eastern conference finals. At which point the clash of the eastern conference tytons gets underway.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1737863' date='Mar 30 2009, 02.41']Considering only a half game seperates the the two and they play each other to close out the year, id say the Bulls get the 7 slot and beat the decrepit Celts in round one, and dodge Lebron until the eastern conference finals. At which point the clash of the eastern conference tytons gets underway.[/quote]
I read your post and watch your 'tar and can almost hear Vinny say:
"Whatever you say, Slick.......Taxi!!!!

Seriously.
I saw that game too. The Mavs are the perfect example of living by the jump shot and dying by the jump shot. Once the Cavs cranked up the D all shots were contested. Dirk stunk up the joint in the 2nd half. And it became painfully clear that Dallas needs inside scoring.

I liked James lying on the floor all dramatic and all and after the entire arena was holding its breath jumping up like he just tied his shoes. In every other arena it would start to rain beer and cups at that point but all the hens in the chickenloans arena just crackled a sigh of relief.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1738476' date='Mar 30 2009, 16.57']I guess Atlanta is doing pretty well lately, but then again I have a hard time taking them seriously since they can't win on the road and they lost recently to both NY and Charlotte.[/quote]
But they did beat the Lakers.
Speaking of which, do you guys also feel that the Lakers are far from almighty? Ive seen and read about a number of games where they're up big and still let the opponent get back into the game and in the end winning (although it failed against Philly).
Havent they learned anything from game 4?
When are we going to admit that there bench isnt nowhere as good as advertised? I say the miss Radmanovic more than they dare admit!.

[quote name='Exa Inova' post='1738492' date='Mar 30 2009, 10.07']But they did beat the Lakers.
Speaking of which, do you guys also feel that the Lakers are far from almighty? Ive seen and read about a number of games where they're up big and still let the opponent get back into the game and in the end winning (although it failed against Philly).
Havent they learned anything from game 4?
When are we going to admit that there bench isnt nowhere as good as advertised? I say the miss Radmanovic more than they dare admit!.[/quote]

Well did you see some of the highlights from the game yesterday? Lakers just played brutally. Lots of turnovers and other bad plays, plus well shooting 35% including 20% from 3 isn't going to win you much games. Surprised they were even within 10 with that kind of game.

I think the loss of Bynum has hurt them more than they let on. They've had to expend a lot more effort to keep winning games. People have stepped up, but it was easier when they had the big guy in the middle. As for their bench, I doubt losing Radmanovic hurt them much. He is barely doing any better in Charlotte now than when he was a starter for the Lakers last season. What has hurt them is Farmar and Sasha are struggling. Walton is playing pretty well, but Farmar/Vulajic have taken a bit of a step back this season. The injury likely didn't help Farmar much.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1738505' date='Mar 30 2009, 17.15']Well did you see some of the highlights from the game yesterday? Lakers just played brutally. Lots of turnovers and other bad plays, plus well shooting 35% including 20% from 3 isn't going to win you much games. Surprised they were even within 10 with that kind of game.

I think the loss of Bynum has hurt them more than they let on. They've had to expend a lot more effort to keep winning games. People have stepped up, but it was easier when they had the big guy in the middle. As for their bench, I doubt losing Radmanovic hurt them much. He is barely doing any better in Charlotte now than when he was a starter for the Lakers last season. What has hurt them is Farmar and Sasha are struggling. Walton is playing pretty well, but Farmar/Vulajic have taken a bit of a step back this season. The injury likely didn't help Farmar much.[/quote]
Of course you are right but Im not totally off. Radman is a better 3 point shooter than Walton and a better rebounder. Within the triangle this means that another player with less accuracy has to take those shots. Because of his length it also means that the unit he's playing with is taller (and more intimidating) defensively and less likely to give up more shots. He can also stretch the floor better because opponents have to tag him at all times. Ariza, for example, is a worse shooter and more likely to take it to the hole. An opponent can lay back more, clogging the paint.

Their offense is great, it is not the offense that is going to cost them in the playoffs. Their problem is that right now if their offense has a bad night they are beatable because their defense without Bynum in there suffers in comparison, even though Gasol (and don't laugh at this) has really stepped up defensively. He completely pissed Duncan off last time they played. The guy has length and is a good defender.

Radmanovic is a 38% 3 point shooter this season. Ariza is a 33%, with the rest of the Lakers guys either being 33% (Walton) or 35% (Farmar and Sasha). It's not really enough of a difference to make up for the absolute horrid defense Radmanovic gives. I doubt defenses had to tag him much. The guy just hung out in the corner and took some 3s and other than that offered nothing to their team. With Kobe, Bynum, Gasol, Odom, etc on the floor there is no point in putting much effort into guarding him.

Anyway the Lakers are a much better defensive team this year, even with Bynum out, than they were last year. However right now they have to give too much effort to be as consistent as they'd like with Bynum out. When he comes back everyone can play a few less minutes and spread the load. It should help the Lakers. Not that I think the Lakers will lose regardless if Bynum isn't back. I think they have a slight advantage over the Cavs and I think they can take the Celtics. Maybe if they actually played the Magic in the finals that would really hurt, but I don't expect Orlando to make it that far.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1738553' date='Mar 30 2009, 11.42']Radmanovic is a 38% 3 point shooter this season. Ariza is a 33%, with the rest of the Lakers guys either being 33% (Walton) or 35% (Farmar and Sasha). It's not really enough of a difference to make up for the absolute horrid defense Radmanovic gives. I doubt defenses had to tag him much. The guy just hung out in the corner and took some 3s and other than that offered nothing to their team. With Kobe, Bynum, Gasol, Odom, etc on the floor there is no point in putting much effort into guarding him.[/quote]

I'd say Radmanovic gives the Lakers their worst defender in their franchise's history; but then again that's because he plays for the Bobcats.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1738476' date='Mar 30 2009, 10.57']I guess Atlanta is doing pretty well lately, but then again I have a hard time taking them seriously since they can't win on the road and they lost recently to both NY and Charlotte.[/quote]

This is a team that has thoroughly confused me all year long. They have IMO a lot of talent, seem to be reasonably well coached but then they have games such as the ones mentioned above, they consistently do it. I can't buy the "young team" excuse either, Johnson and Bibby are vets that have been around.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1737663' date='Mar 29 2009, 15.43']I just got through watching Lebron play against the MAvs. The Cavs dominated them. But my god is Lebron a douchbag on the sideline. Its ridiculous what a huge dork that guy is. Seriously with all the dancing and the horribly awkward looking choreographed celebrations. Who died and made you Ty Thomas? I cant wait for the hottest team in ball right now to stomp on James' nuts in the second round of the postseason.[/quote]

Curious about which team you are referring to, that’s all.

I too am getting a little annoyed with the extracurriculars on the CLE sideline (pregame especially) - and this is coming from a CLEder, but the way I see it if it keeps the guy loose, irates both opposing teams and their fans such as yourself - I’m all for it...

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1738553' date='Mar 30 2009, 11.42']Their offense is great, it is not the offense that is going to cost them in the playoffs. Their problem is that right now if their offense has a bad night they are beatable because their defense without Bynum in there suffers in comparison, even though Gasol (and don't laugh at this) has really stepped up defensively. He completely pissed Duncan off last time they played. The guy has length and is a good defender.[/quote]
Yup,
the lakers need to be clicking every night on offense. I do agree that Gasol has stepped it up the D. I am not sure when Bynum is reportedly going to be back. But here is my question - is he going to be able to "plug and play"? come the playoffs? 11-4 in the past 15, which is fantastic but compared to the total body of work they have accomplished this year so far is that considered a "slide" (I am using the term loosely)? I think it has something to do with what you mentioned above Arakasi - if they have an off shooting night they are pretty susceptible, which they have the west all wrapped up (maybe rest up) but the big picture question is the number 1 record in the association worth chasing or rest up, get healthy and be willing to accept the possibility of maybe not having home court if in fact you make it to the finals?

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1738553' date='Mar 30 2009, 11.42']Anyway the Lakers are a much better defensive team this year, even with Bynum out, than they were last year. However right now they have to give too much effort to be as consistent as they'd like with Bynum out. When he comes back everyone can play a few less minutes and spread the load. It should help the Lakers. Not that I think the Lakers will lose regardless if Bynum isn't back. I think they have a slight advantage over the Cavs and I think they can take the Celtics. Maybe if they actually played the Magic in the finals that would really hurt, but I don't expect Orlando to make it that far.[/quote]

Agreed, the Lakers are better than the team that played in the Finals last year.

Here is where I disagree with you, and I am speaking as of today, right now end of March, I think both the CAVS would beat the Lakers in a seven game series and honestly ORL and BOS would give them a pretty good fight as well.

Anyways - I am really looking forward to the playoffs - but some good basketball coming up, three way dance out WEST with HOU, SA and DENVER, and Detroit and CHI racing to the wire. CHI fans take solace, Iverson is returning to Detroit's line up to put the kybosh on any progress or development they have made in his absence to drag them down the 8th seed and first round exit. Though nothing would be finer than CHA making a run and DET losing that 8th seed to the Bobcats and staying home this post season - first postseason in a longtime without a stupid GAURANSHEED, it would be sweet.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1738553' date='Mar 30 2009, 17.42']Their offense is great, it is not the offense that is going to cost them in the playoffs. Their problem is that right now if their offense has a bad night they are beatable because their defense without Bynum in there suffers in comparison, even though Gasol (and don't laugh at this) has really stepped up defensively. He completely pissed Duncan off last time they played. The guy has length and is a good defender.

Radmanovic is a 38% 3 point shooter this season. Ariza is a 33%, with the rest of the Lakers guys either being 33% (Walton) or 35% (Farmar and Sasha). It's not really enough of a difference to make up for the absolute horrid defense Radmanovic gives. I doubt defenses had to tag him much. The guy just hung out in the corner and took some 3s and other than that offered nothing to their team. With Kobe, Bynum, Gasol, Odom, etc on the floor there is no point in putting much effort into guarding him.

Anyway the Lakers are a much better defensive team this year, even with Bynum out, than they were last year. However right now they have to give too much effort to be as consistent as they'd like with Bynum out. When he comes back everyone can play a few less minutes and spread the load. It should help the Lakers. Not that I think the Lakers will lose regardless if Bynum isn't back. I think they have a slight advantage over the Cavs and I think they can take the Celtics. Maybe if they actually played the Magic in the finals that would really hurt, but I don't expect Orlando to make it that far.[/quote]
My point was that Im not convinced that they are a much better team defensively compared to last year. even if the are, they seem to go through dry spells and the second unit isnt delivering.
Why Radman?
simple.
When Kobe is out, thats when they need the triangle to generate points. so at that time its important to spread the floor and keep the ball (and players) moving. Radman knocks down triples at the best rate and with his sieze is even more difficult to tag. Sure he's no Bowen but neither is Walton or Vujacic.
When it come to defending a big lead all you ask from your second unit is to go toe2toe with the other team and Radman fills the cup better than the other guys.

On the defensive level the same can be said about powel and turiaf

The issue is Radman is awful defensively. Sure he is a better 3 point shooter but in all other ways he is worse than Ariza. There is really no comparison. Heck I heard some writers mentioning Ariza as a darkhorse 6th man of the year candidate. Also Radman was a starter when he was in LA, he was never really on the second unit.

As for the Laker's defensively, I forgot the Hollinger column it was in but he was saying their defense is better than it was last year. (without Bynum that is, with Bynum they are still even better)

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1739882' date='Mar 31 2009, 11.02']The issue is Radman is awful defensively. Sure he is a better 3 point shooter but in all other ways he is worse than Ariza. There is really no comparison. Heck I heard some writers mentioning Ariza as a darkhorse 6th man of the year candidate. Also Radman was a starter when he was in LA, he was never really on the second unit.[/quote]

Trevor is a more complete player than Radman though he is not as good of a shooter but he plays off the ball much better, he goes to the hole occasionally (as opposed to uhhhmm never in Radman's case) and is much more active on defense that Radman is, he just doesn't have the length though but makes up for with his athletic ability. I really like the kid, he is going to get some money thrown at him this summer.

The issue of generating points off the LA offense second team is valid one, especially considering Radman's length/match up problems on the perimeter and due the Bynum injury Jackson has been using a make shift second team but the good news is IF Bynum makes it back healthy and in shape(the latter would be my biggest concern as a fan) Jackson can be more flexible with his rotation. I can see Odom staying on with the second unit for extended periods in the first half once playoffs start to inject some offense, but the key right now (with thier current roster - Radman is gone, no sense beating that point to death) is they need production from Farmar (nearly -3 pont dif from last year) and VUK. If Luke Walton was named anything other than Walton he would be playing overseas in Europe or in the development league. Once the playoffs starts most teams go into a 8/9 man rotation so there will be a carry over from the first unit to the second in order to maintain and extend leads. Though I think the lakers have been playing better defensively this year as opposed to last, if they want to get out of the west the bottom line is they truly need to pick it up on the defensive end big time and rely less on thier offense being perfect every night, that in itself is one of the reasons why they have dropped the few games they have the past month.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1739882' date='Mar 31 2009, 17.02']The issue is Radman is awful defensively. Sure he is a better 3 point shooter but in all other ways he is worse than Ariza. There is really no comparison. Heck I heard some writers mentioning Ariza as a darkhorse 6th man of the year candidate. Also Radman was a starter when he was in LA, he was never really on the second unit.

As for the Laker's defensively, I forgot the Hollinger column it was in but he was saying their defense is better than it was last year. (without Bynum that is, with Bynum they are still even better)[/quote]
I know, I know Radman is a bad defender. But so is Walton. Yes Ariza is better but it would be nonsense to think they give up big leads solely because they dont get stops. They need buckets too and Radmans game fit in perfectly in the triangle. The triangle is a shooters offense, not a slashers offense.
besides, one good defender doesnt make a good defensive unit.
The fact that Radman was a starter doesnt mean he didnt play with the second unit.

My point is that unlike Kobe or Pau, most other lakers get their shots WITHIN the triangle and not based on their 1 on 1 skills. Sure, they have standard game but they are far more effective if they run the triangle. And within the triangle Radman had his use. Just like Turiaff had his use on the defensive side of the 2nd unit.

Archived