March 2009 reads

mashiara

[quote name='Peadar' post='1739590' date='Mar 31 2009, 20.38']Yes. I liked it a lot, although I had a few credibility problems with it being a "true story" and that kept pulling me out of what was going on. However, that said, I really liked the way he presents India, whether true to life or not (I don't know), his version never felt less than complex and fascinating. I and a lot of my fellow SF writers could learn some great lessons from it about world-building.[/quote]
Agree. I took the 'true story' with a grain a salt and thoroughly enjoyed it. I do like a story that's set predominantly in one location which immerses you completely in that location through the richness of it's characters and their experiences - and [i]Shantaram[/i] achieves this with Mumbai ('My Mumbai' as Lin fondly notes) very much more than the visuals in Slumdog Millionaire.

When Johnny Depp purchased the film rights a couple years ago I thought we might see a version on the big screen soon but it looks like it could be in development for many a year.

[quote name='ithanos' post='1740869' date='Apr 1 2009, 07.10']When Johnny Depp purchased the film rights a couple years ago I thought we might see a version on the big screen soon but it looks like it could be in development for many a year.[/quote]

You never know, Slumdog's success might help it along. :)

Thanks for your feedback on [i]Shantaram[/i], people. There is a curious blend of grittiness and idealism, and the swinging back and forth is...unusual. In a way, I like it. I feel like it's a true indication of the narrator's brain, how he sees things.

Just finished Iron Council.
What a great read. It took me a little time to get into it. Possibly because of my unfamiliarity with Bas-lag. Possibly because of the flashback structure. Possible because of the abundance of words you have never seen before, and oddly structured sentences, can be a strain on the nonnative speaker. But when you get used to it, the prose is one of the things that make the book great. The first couple of chapters were a little strange when you didn´t know who Judah was.
As always, when you try to go back and forth in time, you risk breaking the momentum of the story. Most of the time it came out fine, but sometimes you felt it a little.

But, all in all, a truly great experience when it finally got going.
Can´t wait to get into the other books.

Also just finished:
Erik Juel Clausen: Faraos Eye (Faraos øje)
Pretty good book, about murdermysteries in ancient egypt and Crete.
The researchers insights were a little anachronistic (think CSI). But a fun read.
Also touched on the way a volcanic eruption, and following tsunami, that crippled the minoan civilization could be the origin of the tale of atlantis. As well as causing the ten plagues in egypt.

Stieg Larsson: The girl with the dragon tatoes (Män som hatar kvinnor)
The much celebrated swedish bestselling crimenovel. Pretty entertaining but not great.

Jim Butcher: Grave peril
Started out by reading "Proven guilty" and liked it. But there seems to be a drop in quality when going back to the first books. Get considerably more pulplike in slightly embarrassing ways. But still entertaining, and I have committed myself to the series now.

Have started "The Yacoubian Building". Like it so far. But will come back when I finished.

Archived