March 2009 reads

mashiara

[quote name='Guinevere Seaworth' post='1738414' date='Mar 30 2009, 16.12']I finished [i]Hand of Isis[/i] by Jo Graham which I quite liked. While reading [i]Hand of Isis[/i], I was inspired to re-watch episodes of ROME![/quote]

I had the exact same response while reading [b]Hand of Isis[/b]! ;)

[quote name='Brady' post='1739156' date='Mar 30 2009, 16.42']I finished the Broken Sword, didn't really get into it. Now reading Thunderer by Felix Gilman.[/quote]
Never understood the appeal of Poul Anderson; he writes like English is his second language (and not in the good Vladimir Nabokov way).

Hope you enjoy [i]Thunderer[/i].

Just finished[i]Altered Carbon[/i] by Richard Morgan. I had avoided it for a while for no reason in particular. I ended up really enjoying it on many levels--an entertaining and thought provoking read.

Still working on [i]Shantaram[/i]. Has anyone else read this?

This month I have read:

Cosmic Trigger I: The Final Secret of the Illuminati - RAW
The Dragon Waiting - John M. Ford
The Hellbound Heart - Clive Barker
Rides A Dread Legion - Raymond E. Feist
A Case of Conscience - James Blish
Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny
Vermilion Sands - J.G. Ballard
The Legion of Space - Jack Williamson

currently reading:

Anarchy and Alchemy: The Films of Alejandro Jodorowsky
The Cometeers - Jack Williamson

[quote name='seastarr' post='1739471' date='Mar 31 2009, 05.36']Just finished[i]Altered Carbon[/i] by Richard Morgan. I had avoided it for a while for no reason in particular. I ended up really enjoying it on many levels--an entertaining and thought provoking read.

Still working on [i]Shantaram[/i]. Has anyone else read this?[/quote]

Yes. I liked it a lot, although I had a few credibility problems with it being a "true story" and that kept pulling me out of what was going on. However, that said, I really liked the way he presents India, whether true to life or not (I don't know), his version never felt less than complex and fascinating. I and a lot of my fellow SF writers could learn some great lessons from it about world-building.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1739171' date='Mar 31 2009, 01.53']Never understood the appeal of Poul Anderson; he writes like English is his second language (and not in the good Vladimir Nabokov way).

Hope you enjoy [i]Thunderer[/i].[/quote]

Speaking of Nabokov I just finished [i]Lolita[/i], and I found it absolutely divine, no book has ever haunted me this much I think.

Up next, I'm giving Hemingway a final try with [i]For Whom The Bell Tolls[/i], albeit I'm suspecting that everything will fall rather flat weeks after having finished Nabokov's masterpiece.

Wrote in another thread that I finished Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds. Enjoyed but not as much as I expected.

I started "The forever war" as book one in a "Peace and War" omnibus by Joe Haldeman. Like the pace thus far. Not much characterization

Just finished [b]Foreigner [/b]by CJ Cherryh. Took a long time to get into this one and it never did quite connect for me. I do plan on giving the next a try as many have said the first book is the weakest.
Starting [b]Death's Head Maximum Offense[/b] by David Gunn and then [b]Turn Coat[/b] by Jim Butcher.

[quote name='Trinuviel' post='1739016' date='Mar 30 2009, 15.20']I had the exact same response while reading [b]Hand of Isis[/b]! ;)[/quote]

:rofl:

I finished Paulo's Coelho's [i]The Alchemist[/i]. Up next is [i]Atlantis Found[/i] by Clive Cussler. I'm not really looking forward to this one, but my parents gave this to me to read and not realizing that I haven't liked any of Cussler's last 6 novels as they have no longer been original and have cheesy plots. I hate not giving a book a try.

I've finished reading Ken Scholes' 'Lamentation', a tale of what ensues when the last bastion of knowledge (in a far future time) is wiped from the earth by an ancient weapon. It's a very slow read but once you get into the rhythm it's well worth it and I'm looking forward to reading more in this series. My full review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url].
It's time for a change of pace again so I'm now reading Karen Traviss' Gears of War tie-in 'Aspho Fields'...

I finished [b]Lamentation[/b] too. While it wasn't bad, I didn't think it was quite as special as some on the board, but perhaps there was something about the characters, prose, etc that struck me as derivative. So I'm giving this a solid "meh".

I read [b]The Book of Lost Things[/b] by John Connolly. It's a nicely written if not overly original take on the childhood crossover thing. This book is reminiscent of Labyrinth or Coraline, only (if you can imagine) much darker and probably not for minors at all. Many horrible beasts, including one that stiches up children to beasts. Has there ever been a bad YA crossover ever? Anyways, this is also highly recommended!

I'm currently reading John Twelve Hawks' [i]The Traveller[/i], which I have seen a few recommendations for, but I'm not too keen on it so far. It is reasonably entertaining but the prose feels a bit simplistic and neither the plot, characterisation or world-building have much depth to them so far. The small band of rebels fighting against an Orwellian conspiracy plot feels unoriginal as well.

I just reviewed [i][b]Dancing on the Head of a Pin[/b][/i] by Thomas E. Sniegoski for Bookspot Central ([url="http://www.bookspotcentral.com/2009/03/book-review-dancing-on-the-head-of-a-pin/"]review[/url]). It's the second book in a new urban fantasy series about angel turned private detective. The series is pretty interesting and shows a bit of promise.

I need something different so I started reading the second Alastriste book, [i][b]Purity of Blood[/b][/i] by Arturo Perez-Reverte.

[quote name='Bellis' post='1739962' date='Mar 31 2009, 12.15']I read [b]The Book of Lost Things[/b] by John Connolly. It's a nicely written if not overly original take on the childhood crossover thing. This book is reminiscent of Labyrinth or Coraline, only (if you can imagine) much darker and probably not for minors at all. Many horrible beasts, including one that stiches up children to beasts. Has there ever been a bad YA crossover ever? Anyways, this is also highly recommended![/quote]

I loved [i]the Book of Lost Things[/i]! It reminded me of [i]Pan's Labyrinth[/i] too.

started off re reading John Marco's Tyrants and Kings trilogy for the 3rd time, i have always enjoyed his books and like his style of writing.

also re read his book, The eyes of god, had it for a couple years but didnt get the sequel despite the fact i liked it...

just finished the sequel today, The Devils armor, and really liked it and cant wait for the next book to arrive, i ordered them together and conveniently DA came first.

now waiting for The sword of angels to arrive im toying with re-reading AGOT, and after reading that ill probably continue with the whole series as its just so fantastic.

Archived