Mafia Game 63

House Targaryen

The first match of the quarter finals pits Darryl Vidal against Karl Smith. Johnny Lawrence observes the match with interest, as the winner will be facing him in the semis, should he win (which he's convinced he will). Kreese stands beside him and they both whisper to each other, judging the combatant's performance.

Karl charges right in throwing a few straight punches, but Vidal sidesteps him with ease and leaps into the air, performing a spectacular roundhouse kick which hits Karl square in the chest.

The referee lifts the white flag and shouts "Point!" and then, signaling Vidal, "Winner!".

Karl crawls back to his corner, defeated. He's out of the tournament and will need to train harder, but he was [b]not a Cobra Kai[/b].

Send in your night-actions, but fully expect an 8 hour night.

[quote name='Dutch' post='1721739' date='Mar 17 2009, 13.28']I'm a paranoid mafia addict[/quote]
Is that a role claim? :stunned: :P

Well, Karl wasn't my top choice, but he wasn't a bad choice. I guess neither of the two top suspects (Johnny L and Karl) were around to make any sort of claim, so either way it was fruitless to wait for one unless Espi wanted to go against general consensus, so meh. Tomorrow is another day.

So my question is now this - can we assume that Karl did not have the Daniel role? Referee did not wait for Karl to use/not use the crane kick - but then again, Karl showed no indication that he would be on in any timely fashion.

In the future, how long will the Ref wait for a possible use of the Daniel role?

[quote name='Dutch' post='1721773' date='Mar 16 2009, 21.49']So my question is now this - can we assume that Karl did not have the Daniel role? Referee did not wait for Karl to use/not use the crane kick - but then again, Karl showed no indication that he would be on in any timely fashion.

In the future, how long will the Ref wait for a possible use of the Daniel role?[/quote]

I think you're reading the role wrong. As far as I can tell, its a night action, and if Karl has the DL role, he can still use it as long as he gets back before night ends.

[quote name='rules']Daniel LaRusso: A meager little weakling in a quest to become a Karate champ, win the girl and stop getting your ass kicked. Sensei Miyagi has taught you enough Karate to get along by making you wax cars, sand floors and paint fences. He's also taught you an ultimate finishing move called "The Crane Kick". To quote the man, "If well done, no can defense", which is specially true if your opponent obliviously walks right into it with his guard down. You may use the Crane Kick when the day's referee decrees you lose the match and are therefore disqualified. While you'd normally be dead, you may post once to bold the following (and only the following): I am Daniel LaRusso and I use the Crane Kick on player's name. If the player you name is a member of the Cobra Kai he will die in your stead. If the player you name is not a Cobra Kai then both you and him must retire from the championship and are eliminated. [u]You don't have to use the Crane Kick if you don't want to, and may not use it once the night phase ends (though the mods will wait for its use or lack of as if it were a night action).[/u][/quote]

Apologies for my absence. Kreese isn't the only one with internet problems.

I've found it slightly disconcerting to have left at a point where nobody had voiced any suspicions about what I had said, and to return having been close to elimination for those selfsame posts.

People have decried my relevant posts as 'silly', which having reread what I said is fair enough. I'm still at a slight loss as to how silly translates to guilty though.

Hopefully, I'll be able to be a bit more active more consistently.

I need to do a bit more of an insightful read on what happened when I was gone.

My thoughts at this point:

Vidal - vacuous, plenty of posting without any substance. I'm willing to let it slide (as I am for myself similarly ;)) but I'd hope for this to change in future. In fairness to us both, the serious discussion in earnest only started after we had both departed. The one post I found slightly offputting was where he distinctly distanced himself from a possible ref grab.

Espinoza - OK, I've thought about this a little more, and I don't see Espinoza as suspicious for the referee grab, intentional or not, as I now think that whether you are innocent or evil it is in your best interest either way to be referee as often as possible. I'm not a big fan of people not bothering to read the rules though. There was a slight oddity in his wavering on Hall from a suspicion to not wanting to eliminate him. I liked his one post about me where he said he was upset by me not upsetting people, which seemed to be the bulk of his complaint against me. He does say that it is his gut feel, so that's fair enough. Despite eliminating an innocent player, I feel Espinoza did a pretty good job as ref, and despite my earlier suspicions at day start, I find him to be solid.

Robertson - I've struggled to get much of a read on Robertson. Quibble with Bobby Brown aside, there is only his defence of Espinoza. Nothing too remarkable either way. The quibble with Bobby did get quite heated, but I'm uncertain as to why. Possibly overdefensive?

Miyagi - The voice of reason.

Bobby Brown - I think he did well in picking up on Karl's shiftiness and calling him out on it. I did get a sense of tunnel vision on Karl, but I think Bobby has a solid day 1 under his belt.

Tommy - I thought his who to keep and who to lose list was quite sensible, and I agreed with most of it, with one noteable exception (me).

Ali Mills - I'm not sure I understand how I became her top pick, but at the moment, she mainly seems to have parroted the most discussed posts. Someone pointed it out before, but the inconsistency between her post pointing out suspicious posts and her post for me as top target is strange.

DLR - most uncomfortable with Karl and Vidal. Vidal is a slight difference from most others. I think he has the makings of a case against Vidal but it is slight, but reasonable for day 1.

Hall, Kreese, Dutch - none of these guys have raised my suspicion hackles, but I need to do some work so I'll have a look later.

Laters.

[quote name='Daniel LaRusso' post='1721639' date='Mar 17 2009, 01.28']Except that Ali says his points are "weird" in Post 203 but never says they are suspicious, yet she leaves by saying Johnny L is her top choice for lynching in Post 206, even though in Post 203 she thinks Karl Smith's posts are "terrible". I think I would generally consider "terrible" worse to have around than "weird", so I can't understand how Ali came to the conclusion that Johnny L is her top choice, no matter what her involvement, that's a pretty standard conlusion making process.[/quote]

I should have used different words, sorry. I didn't intend that the be a large difference in the perception of my attacks on Karl and Jonny.

I should have spelled out that the main difference I saw between Jonny and Karl was contribution, or lack thereof. Jonny hadn't posted anything substantive except the posts I quoted. Karl had.

Hmmmmg, Kreese-San ain't very happy about the Ref's decision.

Kreese also does not understand Miyagi's explanation about "easy" targets. Karl was not an easy target, because he behaved that suspicious that he was a logic target?

And Hall was an easy target, because he atacked todays Referee?

Hmmmh, I don't get it, I still think that Karl was a much easier target than Hall. And now that we know that Karl was not killer, it makes even more sense that a Cobra used the opportunity to get rid of an easy target.

Am I the only one who has been a bit surprised by Miyagi's explanation?

I'm flattered by all the attention, really.
Let's see:

Dutch:
[quote]I don't understand how he could have missed why I was suspicious of Hall at that point without being seriously disconnected to the game. This implies either boredom at the early stages with no significant role to ground him, or an evil skating through. It's often hard for evils to stay focused because they know the answers and are not trying to put the pieces together.[/quote]

I am not sure what happened there. Either I completely brain-farted and missed your post, or it originally said something different, as it was edited. I thought I remembered it only saying that you were suspicious of Hal, but not why. So yeah, this is probably rope I am going to be hanged on, but fwiw, it was honest mistake.
Also, I find it bit strange that you build a case based on this hours later instead of just saying: look above, moron, when it actually happened.

Hal
[quote]Alas, that theory was blown out of the water when I went back to check posting times however. I don't know how accurate the clocks are on this bored or if they can be influenced by a users own computer clock, but it looks as if the Vidal's post wasn't in the right time frame for a 'quick grab'.[/quote]

Mainly for the delicious Freudian slip :)

Danny:
[quote]Vidal, I couldn't find anywhere that Karl said he thought Hall was innocent. I think you'll find in the post above he said "Hall is the only suspicious person so far". I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound the same as "Hall looks innocent, but I'll lynch him for the sake of a lynch seeing as all you other people think he looks suspicious". You may be referring to this post:[/quote]

I was actually refering to this post:
[quote]I'm saying that I don't really think that the evidence on Hall is incriminating. But I haven't seen anything scummy from anyone except perhaps Espinoza.
I think it's fairly obvious to say that Espinoza won't lynch himself, and if he's got to lynch someone, Hall is atm the obvious candidate.[/quote]
Which says: 1) I don't think Hal is guilty. 2) we can't kill Espi, 3) so I want to kill somebody I think is innocent.
Maybe in quote, word "else" in first sentence is missing?

Your nonsensical request for leniency for Ali has been commented on, so I will not repeat it, but I agree.

Kreese:
[quote]I'd like to remember Mr Miyagi that I am NOT KREESE!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
Would you like goblet of wine with that?

(yes, this is joke, very sorry will not do it again.)

In general, I hate day1s, because shit gets spinned out of thin air, and usually innocent bites it. I prefer having couple of days to get read on players and their actions, and what happens at night.

"The quarter final match between Espinoza and Hall promises to be intense, Bob"

"Yes it does, Dan, two very evenly matched fighters, and they're both hungry for the championship title..."

"Whoa! Look at that Bob! On Tatami number 4! Kreese is down and grabbing his knee! Do you think that he got hit below the waist? We might have some disqualifications coming up..."

"Darn Dan, looks like the referee was arguing with the Cobra Kai sensei and didn't see a thing. You've got to be on the lookout with these Cobras!"

"But Bob, aren't Kreese and the Cobra Kai sensei the same guy?"

"Nah, Dan. Common mistake. This is the Kreese that wasn't Kreese"

"So what was he Bob? Evil incarnate?"

"Maybe he was Dan, but he's also dead meat. I don't think he can continue with that wound on his knee. Better luck next year Kreese!"

[b]Kreese has been wounded and must retire from the tournament. Dutch is today's referee.[/b]

Kreese, I don't know if it is just me being obtuse, but are you accusing Espinoza of being a Cobra? Or Miyagi?

I don't think I quite agree with Hall being an easy target either. If Espi had kicked him off, it would have seemed like a major case of OMGUS. Karl, along with me I guess, was an easy target, and hence he was eliminated. He was an easy target but it wasn't based on anything flimsy, it was based on evidence. Whereas the Hall situ would be a lot more gut and reactionary rather than substantiated.

Edit: Massive crossposst

Archived