The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

Can someone provide the error message(s) you get when uploading?

I get:

Upload Warning (and then underneath in red (for example))

Could not rename file "/tmp/phpzOv97k" to "public/b/ba/Daenerys_in_Qarth.jpg"

I've tried different images in different sizes and none work.

Edited by Tourmaline Dragon

I dont know about anyone else but I’m disappointed with all the images all put at the bottom of Daenerys’s page. I think some artwork next to the script enriches the reading of a character’s page.

Obviously all images cannot all be up there and things can get cluttered so it’s good to have the addition of an image gallery but it’s a shame to relegate all of the images to the bottom of the page.

Who came to this decision? Does anyone feel the same way as me or do they think the images are better off at the bottom?

Also there is a more serious issue – copyright.

I will have to remove some the pictures that I received artist permission from as most want their copyright at the bottom of the work – especially the artists that have been commissioned by Fantasy Flight Games – Fantasy Flight Games must be credited on the image as the copyright owner – this is a contract issue. This is especially true on a page like Daenerys’s as it must receive a lot of hits.

Also some artists know where their Image Portals are and can check on what art may have been added – the art should link the artist’s name. I’m not familiar with adding all the relevant info to an image in a gallery or if it can be added using that format. If I cant get the info on I will have to remove some of the images in that format.

Edited by Tourmaline Dragon

Maybe I am wrong - and if so, please tell me - but it seems to me that any registered wiki user can simply edit Daenerys' article and move any of the images from the gallery to appropriate places inside the main text.

I don't think there is any need for explicit permission, either; after all, it is easy enough for others to revert or fix the article if need be.

Also there is a more serious issue – copyright.

I will have to remove some the pictures that I received artist permission from as most want their copyright at the bottom of the work – especially the artists that have been commissioned by Fantasy Flight Games – Fantasy Flight Games must be credited on the image as the copyright owner – this is a contract issue. This is especially true on a page like Daenerys’s as it must receive a lot of hits.

I'm not sure I understood the problem, but it seems to be solvable by adding a bottom line with a copyright notice with the artist's name. Am I wrong? Or is it the matter that the artists want credit, but FFG has the rights for lone copyright credit?

Also some artists know where their Image Portals are and can check on what art may have been added – the art should link the artist’s name. I’m not familiar with adding all the relevant info to an image in a gallery or if it can be added using that format. If I cant get the info on I will have to remove some of the images in that format.

I'm not sure I understood this. Are you essentially saying that we should be real careful to make sure to include the appropriate artist category in the images, or is that not enough?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Images_By_Artist

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if it's legal to upload a still shot from the series. I uploaded an item about Cersei's armor and was wondering if I or someone else can upload an image of Lena as Cersei wearing the piece. If not, can someone render a sketch of her wearing it? Thanks for the advice. :)

A few screenshots from the TV series can be considered "fair use". So that would not be a problem. The thing is where to place it. We agreed that the image that is used in the character template, top right of the article, should match the description of the person in the books. For most characters there usually are drawings that match the description closer then the actors.

A few screenshots from the TV series can be considered "fair use". So that would not be a problem. The thing is where to place it. We agreed that the image that is used in the character template, top right of the article, should match the description of the person in the books. For most characters there usually are drawings that match the description closer then the actors.

Got it. It's just that this was a specific piece of armor that she wore on that one episode. The page is in the armament section, not the character section. I'll see how I can figure this out. :)

• 3 weeks later...