LepreCon 36. May 14-16, 2010. Phoenix Mesa Marriott, Mesa, AZ

I also wanted to follow up on this post from Parris, since I'm also involved with the local independent bookstore, The Poisoned Pen, in helping with the events they have with SF/F authors and they are working on having an event with him with the book is released. We were definitely looking at having him as a participant at LepreCon and will be following up with that.

Lee Whiteside

LepreCon 36 Chair

We're looking forward to a good time at the convention, and I'm happy to let folks know that two other New Mexican writers, part of the Wild Cards consortium and celebrating the release of their new novels, Melinda Snodgrass (EDGE OF RUIN) and Ian Tregillis (BITTER SEEDS) will also be attending LepreCon. For Ian, this is his first novel, for Melinda, well, I've lost count of how many novels and stories she's written, but her work includes an ST novel, THE TEARS OF THE SINGER, then she wrote "MEASURE OF A MAN"for ST:NG which is still considered one of the best ST episodes ever, the CIRCUIT trilogy (Lawyers in space! What could go wrong?), many works in WILD CARDS where she also works as assistant editor, and, of course, the excellent and well received EDGE OF REASON, and now the second novel, EDGE OF RUIN, set in the same New-Mexico centric universe as EDGE OF REASON.

I'd say that's a quorum of WILD CARDS writers, enough for a panel and lots of laughs.

Great - this sounds like it's just getting better and better. Of course it looks like I'll be spending a bunch of money in the dealers room at this rate.

Not likely that I can get in on this one, as it's over the weekend. Unless perhaps if something is going on Thursday night. That, and Mr. Wolf still hasn't read one word, I think. Though since I'm on another re-read, maybe I can get him going....

The party is a go. I received a couple of e-mails from people that's interested in hosting a party and I some friends who are also willing to help out with the party. So I reserved a Junior Suite, the largest room they had, for that weekend. Now comes the fun part. We need to start to get the word out. I need an artistic type to make a flyer announcing that the BWB is going to host a party at Leprecon 36. We also need to get decorations and such. If you haven't yet, e-mail me at azrifts@ gmail.com to help organize this thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I met with the Leprecon staff today and was able to see the suite we can host the party in. They are eager for us to host a party and join their convention.

• 1 month later...

Nice. Has anyone contacted you about getting the fliers put together yet?

Somebody should have a copy of the Bros art around that could be used as the basic template for the party fliers - there's the big raven with heraldic devices as well the dragon skull. If you can't find a fan artist to do something original, consider using those images that have been used by other Bros events.

Count Jeanne and me in for the con, party and any other related events! She is attending an oncology social work conference in downtown Phoenix the 12th, 13th and 14th for CE credits and we will be arriving Monday afternoon May 10th (Continental Airlines from Newark, NJ Liberty Airport willing ;) ) and departing Monday morning the 17th. Staying at the Mesa Marriot, how convenient is that! :cheers:

Count Jeanne and me in for the con, party and any other related events! She is attending an oncology social work conference in downtown Phoenix the 12th, 13th and 14th for CE credits and we will be arriving Monday afternoon May 10th (Continental Airlines from Newark, NJ Liberty Airport willing ;) ) and departing Monday morning the 17th. Staying at the Mesa Marriot, how convenient is that! :cheers:

And so it goes and grows... Welcome! We shall look forward to receiving you.

For those who are not down here with us in beautiful, sunny Arizona the weather could not be better for a gathering right now.

Currently, it is 65 degrees (we're expecting a high of 80) and it is sunny with a light breeze. I anticipate that by the time the Con arrives, we'll be consistently in the 80's and the skies will be clear and beautiful.

Oh, and we've already had about as much rain in the last 4 months as we usually get in a full year... so everything is green and the desert is alive with color!

And so it goes and grows... Welcome! We shall look forward to receiving you.

For those who are not down here with us in beautiful, sunny Arizona the weather could not be better for a gathering right now.

Currently, it is 65 degrees (we're expecting a high of 80) and it is sunny with a light breeze. I anticipate that by the time the Con arrives, we'll be consistently in the 80's and the skies will be clear and beautiful.

Oh, and we've already had about as much rain in the last 4 months as we usually get in a full year... so everything is green and the desert is alive with color!

90 and sunny with a light breeze here in northwestern NJ at the moment. Unusual for this time of year!

Good to have you with us Sir Knight Somerville.

I want to remind everyone that George R.R. Martin is coming to Meas for LepreCon in two weeks. I have gotten a suite to host a party at. But over the past month my hours were slashed at work and money is very tight, so I've cut back on some of my plans for decorations. I'm still going to get a keg and cups but not much more then that. If you can bring other things to drink that would be great. I'm also going to send George an e-mail letting him know we'll be there.

The other thing I'd like to do is have dinner with George. I understand he likes to have a unique meal where ever he goes. My thought is to order from the Cornish Pasty Co. It's a locally owned restrurant in Tempe and Mesa. If you haven't eaten there I'd recommend you do. I can arrange an order for them if people thinks this is a good ideal.

Their address is: http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

my e-mail address is [email protected] you can e-mail me there for more info.

James

Good to have you with us Sir Knight Somerville.

I want to remind everyone that George R.R. Martin is coming to Meas for LepreCon in two weeks. I have gotten a suite to host a party at. But over the past month my hours were slashed at work and money is very tight, so I've cut back on some of my plans for decorations. I'm still going to get a keg and cups but not much more then that. If you can bring other things to drink that would be great. I'm also going to send George an e-mail letting him know we'll be there.

The other thing I'd like to do is have dinner with George. I understand he likes to have a unique meal where ever he goes. My thought is to order from the Cornish Pasty Co. It's a locally owned restrurant in Tempe and Mesa. If you haven't eaten there I'd recommend you do. I can arrange an order for them if people thinks this is a good ideal.

Their address is: http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

my e-mail address is [email protected] you can e-mail me there for more info.

James

The restaurant sounds great, and indeed George does enjoy that. We have sometimes carpooled to a restaurant. I will have a small rental car so can take a couple of others with us if that helps. We also usually set up a donation jar for the visitors at the party, and the BWB members kick in more.

---Ken

Do we have any idea of the schedule? Are we planning on the part for Friday or Saturday night? I may not be able to be there for the whole time. The LepreCon website is rather short on details.

Also, it looks like the Wednesday before this event (the 12th) is a signing/release party for new Fantasy author Sam Sykes (and Arizona resident) at the Poisoned Pen bookstore in Scottsdale. Sam will be at the con and has quite an internet reputation already, so it should be fun. I'm trying to make the signing/party too.

Do we have any idea of the schedule? Are we planning on the part for Friday or Saturday night? I may not be able to be there for the whole time. The LepreCon website is rather short on details.

Also, it looks like the Wednesday before this event (the 12th) is a signing/release party for new Fantasy author Sam Sykes (and Arizona resident) at the Poisoned Pen bookstore in Scottsdale. Sam will be at the con and has quite an internet reputation already, so it should be fun. I'm trying to make the signing/party too.

Do you have any details that you can share as far as timeframes go? Also, you said that you might not be able to make the entire con, so I can only assume that you'll be hitting the earlier portion of it?

I too, would like to know if there is a schedule of any sort (or if there is something I can do to help create one).

Here's the link to the Poisoned Pen's events page- not much info there. The event starts at 7pm on Wednesday the 12th.

Here's a fun link to a blog post at Sam's webpage that discusses the event(and more).

As for when I'll be at the con - I have no idea without a schedule. It's 3 hour drive to Mesa from Flagstaff (accounting for traffic), so I want need the info to coordinate my work and personal schedules and figure out how much I can attend.

Here's the link to the Poisoned Pen's events page- not much info there. The event starts at 7pm on Wednesday the 12th.

Here's a fun link to a blog post at Sam's webpage that discusses the event(and more).

As for when I'll be at the con - I have no idea without a schedule. It's 3 hour drive to Mesa from Flagstaff (accounting for traffic), so I want need the info to coordinate my work and personal schedules and figure out how much I can attend.

There is a Thursday evening GRRM event now listed for those pre-registered:

"As a special incentive for those who are pre-registered, we will be having some programming on Thursday night for pre-registered members only.

At 9:00 pm, we’ll have a special panel with Artist Guest of Honor Charles Vess and Author Guest of Honor George R. R. Martin focusing on the limited edition of George R. R. Martin’s A Storm of Swords that Charles Vess did the art for. The book is no longer available from the publisher, but you’ll have a chance to see the art that Charles did for the book."

---Ken

So is the Con ever going to post any information. I live in Tucson and I am just driving up on Saturday the 15th for the day. I hope there is something going on that day. I mean that is less then 10 days from now and there is no useful information on their website. Kind of sad actually. I hope there will be something going on that day.

It's a small con, around 500 people, that's focus mostly on the Arts of SFF. There will be something going on that day, but I don't have a schedule either. At the least you can help me pass out flyers.

Sorry you can't make it Starkness. I know how flat broke goes.

Archived