LepreCon 36. May 14-16, 2010. Phoenix Mesa Marriott, Mesa, AZ

Well, it sounds like I'm not the only one annoyed at the lack of schedule info.

I've exchanged a few emails this morning with one of the program managers and she says the reason they don't have a schedule yet is that she is waiting on confirmation from several people, including George.

But, I did squeeze a little info out of her:

Friday: apparently George will be doing a signing with Melinda Snodgrass Friday afternoon/evening at 6pm. Melinda will probably have a solo signing on Saturday.

Saturday: George's main panel (whatever that means - reading?) will be on Saturday afternoon from 12-1:30 pm. There should be another signing after. He may do another signing on Sunday.

Right now, Watcher is planning on Saturday night for the party, hopefully we'll get confirmation on that soon as well.

One author, Ian Tregillis had to drop out due to his day job (ashame since his newly released novel is getting a lot of good buzz). No word was provided on the other Wild Cards authors who will be there and others I'm interesed in meeting like Emma Bull.

Well, it sounds like I'm not the only one annoyed at the lack of schedule info.

I've exchanged a few emails this morning with one of the program managers and she says the reason they don't have a schedule yet is that she is waiting on confirmation from several people, including George.

But, I did squeeze a little info out of her:

Friday: apparently George will be doing a signing with Melinda Snodgrass Friday afternoon/evening at 6pm. Melinda will probably have a solo signing on Saturday.

Saturday: George's main panel (whatever that means - reading?) will be on Saturday afternoon from 12-1:30 pm. There should be another signing after. He may do another signing on Sunday.

Right now, Watcher is planning on Saturday night for the party, hopefully we'll get confirmation on that soon as well.

One author, Ian Tregillis had to drop out due to his day job (ashame since his newly released novel is getting a lot of good buzz). No word was provided on the other Wild Cards authors who will be there and others I'm interesed in meeting like Emma Bull.

An update for all of you. I just posted the preliminary schedule on the LepreCon 36 website at http://www.leprecon.org/lep36/lep36programming.html. It is still subject to change although most everything on the schedule should stay where it is or might move an hour or two. We had a good number of participants who had limited availability that made scheduling a bit more trickier than usual. We've also had some others who are not able to make it (Ian Tregillis and John Jos. Miller most notably) and we've just heard back from some others (Michael Stackpole for one) that they can make it and we're still working out some panels to be added.

We will have a good selection of new books thanks to Poisoned Pen in the dealer's room and they are making arrangements with Ian to get their copies of his new book signed so you should be able to get a signed copy from them shortly.

I've picked up some streamers and things to decorate the room with. I also made arrangements to get a 1/2 keg of Landshark beer. I'm going to pick it up on Saturday. I made some flyers to distrub before the party and one for the room. I think we should have some snacks, a veggie plate, crackers or something.

You can look at them here: http://public.me.com/malloc1

Let me know if you have any suggestions. The door one needs some work.

Lee, when will there be book signing events?

We're getting that finalized today. We've had to shuffle things around a bit due to some participants limited availability during the weekend. Still likely the signings with George will be on Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon. The major change with George is the reading has moved to Friday afternoon from Sunday and his spotlight panel will be late afternoon on Saturday after the charity auction instead of before. Once we have those nailed down, an update will be posted to the web and likely a PDF of the pocket program as well once it is ready.

I'm going to have the suite all weekend. If you looking for me on Saturday I'll be passing out flyers. Also the local SCA group has a table and demo setup. You can ask there for me there. Just tell them you're looking for Bald Jim. To make me even easier to find I'll be wearing a BWB t-shirt and kilt.

I had been hoping to take the day off today so that I could go sink my teeth into it, but I got stuck at work. It looks like I won't get to head that way until Saturday night or Sunday. I will try to swing by tonight after work, but I doubt much will be going on at 8:00 PM.

I had been hoping to take the day off today so that I could go sink my teeth into it, but I got stuck at work. It looks like I won't get to head that way until Saturday night or Sunday. I will try to swing by tonight after work, but I doubt much will be going on at 8:00 PM.

sorry you have to work, but there will be events going on after you get off work tonight - Charles Vess is doing an art show walk-through and demo at 9pm - you gotta see the originals he's got up in the art show - I'm doing a comedy panel at 11pm.

The charity auction is at 2pm Saturday - items from GRRM and Vess that should be highly desirable for collectors. the regular art auction is on Sunday at 1pm, right after George's final panel - on collecting miniatures.

Not much going on Sunday - if you can make it here Friday night or Saturday you'll have some good events to attend, and there's several parties planned for other conventions and fan groups.

I'll be there on Saturday. Not yet sure when I'll arrive, but probably between 11 and 2. (It all depends on when I get out of Flastaff). I'll be around to help Jim set up for the party.

I drove up to LepreCon Saturday from Tucson for the day with my girlfriend. It was pretty cool. It was really small but it was a really chill atmosphere. We really didn't do much as far as panels go. We got there around noon. We registered then ate lunch. My girlfriend and I then walked through the art show and the dealers room. Went to the charity auction after that, won the 2009 calendar for $20, she won signed Sworn Sword graphic novel with poster signed by grrm. Then went back to the dealers room and I got my copy of SOS signed by GRRM. First time meeting George. He seemed like a really cool person. Then we went to Georges panel. It was interesting. There was George and the guy running the panel asking him questions. He basically covered everything most people know. HBO stuff, nothing new that he can tell you because its top secret. Talked about his blog and the recent fan fic posts. I don't remember hearing anything new about Dance updates. I wasn't there Friday for his reading so Im not sure what chapter he read but he said as he read it he would mark stuff on the pages he was reading to change later. During the question and answers someone asked about Feast and he gave a long account of the 5 year gap and all the problems that came from that. A nice rehash of most people know and what he recently said in his interview that was online a while back. The only thing he said that I have not heard before and I don't know if he has talked about before was about a passage that he has written in dance. He spoke about a passage that he wrote that really liked. He didn't say who's POV or where it was in the book but he said he has taken it out and put it back in a few times. He said he really liked it and wanted to find a way to include but wasn't sure of the consequences or something like that. And that was really all he said about it that I remember. There were other questions about E-books or something. It was interesting to hear him talk about stuff. He was funny and seemed to be in good spirits. After his panel I drove for two hours to get home and feed my cat. And that is all I got. Maybe someone else can remember more stuff. Cya.

Thanks for the report, fuentez! That passage in ADwD sounds interesting. I wonder what it could be?

It was a description of Bran, Hodor, Cold Hands, etc. traversing the frozen north enroute to the three eyed crow. I believe I heard it read before, probably at Worldcon in Montreal last year.

Good times, much fun. Great meeting George and Parris. I plan to write up a full blog post sometime, but I'll be doing some work this week on a mountaintop in New Mexico, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to get anything up before Friday.

Thanks again to Watcher and company for making the party happen.

Glad to see everyone had a great time… I wish I could’ve made it. I was too late on Friday (got there at about 8:30 and just about everyone was gone), but I registered, paid my cash, and planned to come back on Saturday… Alas, that was not possible. I was called away to help a good friend with an emergency early Saturday morning and ended up stuck with him until about 11:30 PM… I certainly hope that I will be able to make the next nearby event that GRRM is going to be in attendance at.

Archived