Sandor Clegane - alive

CleganeBros

"Lady Brienne is a warrior maid," confided Septon Meribald, "hunting for the Hound."

"Aye?" Narbert seemed taken aback. "To what end?"

Brienne touched Oathkeeper's hilt. "His," she said.

Now, what we have here is a failure to communicate. Lady Stark did not send Brienne out to kill bad guys. Jaime did not give Brienne Oathkeeper because he wanted to arrange a hit on the Hound.

I can't believe I missed this. I'm so glad you pointed it out. It's such a change from Brienne's usual dogged nature that I'm stunned her sudden taking of matters into her own hands didn't stick out to me. The fact that Brienne has never met the Hound and now wants to kill him is quite strange, too. It's a significant break from her usual mission-fulfillment tunnel vision.

What? do you really think a small flesh wound like that would stop our Sandor? What about all the pirates with peg legs? And just to be a litlle bit serious: If the wound was very infected, the EB probably had to cut out the worst parts of the infected flesh, so he would not be lying when he claimed to have buried Sandors flesh. It would just have been a tiny piece and not a whole leg.

Unless you mean small flesh wound like a Monty-Python flesh wound, yes, it was enough to stop him. The upper leg/thigh/hip is one of the most dangerous places to get injured (besides the torso); it's also close to the femoral artery. He's lucky he didn't just bleed out, though it seemed like he got swiped on the outside of the thigh. It was already infected by the time Arya left him, and it's possible that he was hanging out there a couple of days before EB found him. It'd be better to just take the leg off rather than risk sepsis, which would be a crappy, crappy way to die. People with more medical knowledge have more info than me, though. Like you, I hope there was just some serious healin and cauterizin going on.

Wasn't his face also hacked up again also? He's going to be a pretty sight when/if we see him again.

It was all on the burned side, I think.

I think that's the third time he's been injured on that side of his face (also happened during Blackwater). Wonder if the scarring will be worse than before or a slight improvement. Poor guy.

Though maybe EB is used to doing brow lifts and cheek implants for all those vain monks and can help him out. He could at least make him look as hot as Jocelyn Wildenstein or something.

What? do you really think a small flesh wound like that would stop our Sandor? What about all the pirates with peg legs? And just to be a litlle bit serious: If the wound was very infected, the EB probably had to cut out the worst parts of the infected flesh, so he would not be lying when he claimed to have buried Sandors flesh. It would just have been a tiny piece and not a whole leg.

Well I think what saved him with the wound was that he did make Arya help him treat it (poured the boiled wine on it) and dress it. So, if it had been untreated, I think it almost certainly would have killed him, given him blood poisoning, etc. He's still around. He might even be involved in prophecy in some way.

Well I think what saved him with the wound was that he did make Arya help him treat it (poured the boiled wine on it) and dress it. So, if it had been untreated, I think it almost certainly would have killed him, given him blood poisoning, etc. He's still around. He might even be involved in prophecy in some way.

When Arya sniffed his thigh wound it smelled funny so his wound was definitely infected . I'm guessing that they had to debride the wound and remove the infected tissue/muscle on his thigh which is why the Gravedigger limps so badly.

When Arya sniffed his thigh wound it smelled funny so his wound was definitely infected . I'm guessing that they had to debride the wound and remove the infected tissue/muscle on his thigh which is why the Gravedigger limps so badly.

Oh quite probably, I agree. My point I guess was that that initial treatment stopped it from being a fatal infection. That and I'm guessing he was found fairly quickly and treatment continued.

And from Jaime's exemple we have seen that it is possibe to save someone's life even if the wound is seriously infected. that's true, the procedure was awfully painful, but it was possibe. So if the Elder Brother have found Sandor in time, so not far from the time Arya left him alone, it could have been still possible to save his life. We will see later if he can still fight or not.

I can't believe I missed this. I'm so glad you pointed it out. It's such a change from Brienne's usual dogged nature that I'm stunned her sudden taking of matters into her own hands didn't stick out to me. The fact that Brienne has never met the Hound and now wants to kill him is quite strange, too. It's a significant break from her usual mission-fulfillment tunnel vision.

Glad to be of service. And don't worry too much about missing things. In ASOIAF there are so many things that just about anyone will miss at least a few. Initially, I wasn't even convinced that the grave digger was Clegane. Then I went back and read the chapter again. That's when things fell in place for me.

• 1 month later...

She was sent out to get Arya/Stark girls, and at this point believes the Hound killed everyone at Saltpans (Arya included) so it's not crazy to think avenging Arya's death as a continuation of her "quest"

• 4 months later...

Hmm Brienne never really struck me as the 'revenge' type. I may be wrong, it's been a while sincei've re-read, but she never really made much effort into finding

out who killed Renly, whom she was in love with...

It was Stannis. She says something about wanting to kill him to Cat.

I like all of the points suggesting the Hound is alive. I hope you're correct. And, in keeping with the possibility that he lives, I hope that after seeking revenge upon his brutal bullying brother, Gregor, Sandor frees his "little bird" from her cage.

This is one of those theories I completely missed on my read, then thought was completely bonkers when I first heard of it, and finally became completely convinced when I cracked open my book (er, Kindle) and re-read the chapter carefully.

Damn.

Anyway, while I now think Sandor is the gravedigger, I think I'd be horribly disappointed if he winds up fighting unGregor.

First, it's way too much of a fantasy hero trope. It might be Sandor, but I hate the idea that it has to be him.

Second, one of the major themes in the series is that death is an impersonal thing, and that war and death is bigger than any one person. The Elder Brother makes a point of contrasting the songs of Robert defeating Rhaegar, versus his experience as a nameless figure amongst tens of thousands. If Gregor Clegane is to face justice as opposed to simple revenge, it won't be at the hands of his brother.

Last, it's also out of character if he really did undergo an epiphany and become a novice. The Elder Brother describes kinslaying as an unspeakable sin; I would imagine the first thing they would try to teach him is to let go of his anger. He doesn't necessarily need to forgive him, but the whole point of the Quiet Isle is to give up the sword and be at peace with the world.

I don't think we're done with Sandor, but I think we're done with him as a warrior.

Archived