A thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

Yeah Kanye definitely goes hard on this one. I didn't really have a problem with the background vocals. It's like alot of Kanye's mixes he uses alot of different sounds, just expect the background to be kinda busy. But it's a jam and I'm up for the finished version.

I'm going to try to watch the 'Hip Hop Honors', Dirty South edition.

The link has a video of the entire show and it sounds like it wasn't too bad. Outkast and Scarface were no-shows apparently though.

And LL is coming out with a new album soon. Waiting for any leaks...

• 3 months later...

Apparently Lupe Fiasco is now going by his real name and moving his interests to rock music as the voice of British band Japanese Cartoon. I'll be very interested in hearing their sound. Rap-rock colabs have always produced interesting and creative sounds and this new band should be any different. Really excited to hear their music.

Also here's an interesting article on the music biz in the age of mp3's. Not surprising really.

What do you think of Lil Wayne's last album?

I was impressed. Even his continued use of auto-tune didn't bother me on this album. I especially liked 'Prom Queen'. It's the first Weezy album I've copped since 'Tha Carter'. But, then again, I have a weakness for rap-rock. It's why I'm also such a big fan of Cypress Hill, Kid Rock, Travis Barker and Limp Bizkit.

im finding im getting confused with the modern def's of hip hop..alot of the current artists i hear as more rap?

used to/ still love to listen to the following:

A Tribe Called Quest - Stressed Out

black eyed peas feat esthero - weekend (loved bridgin the gap, not keen on the rest)

i am pretty out of the loop now though, more influenced these days by the local stuff...

would anyone be able to recommend some artists/isolated trax along the similar vein? (lyricism + jazz + beat) ta :thumbsup:

im finding im getting confused with the modern def's of hip hop..alot of the current artists i hear as more rap?

black eyed peas feat esthero - weekend (loved bridgin the gap, not keen on the rest)

i am pretty out of the loop now though, more influenced these days by the local stuff...

would anyone be able to recommend some artists/isolated trax along the similar vein? (lyricism + jazz + beat) ta :thumbsup:

Not sure if these are what you're looking for or not but anyway...

Lupe Fiasco - Daydreamin'

Hilltop Hoods - Nosebleed Section

Bliss'n'Eso - Down By The River

B.o.B - The Kids

B.o.B - Mr Bobby

check

out.

Bad ass! I am definitely coppin' this album for sure. This is perfect walk-out music. The revolution theme has a nice edge to it. Was that Brekin Mayer in that video? I'm surprised I haven't heard them before. Thanks for the recommendation.

Was that Brekin Mayer in that video? I'm surprised I haven't heard them before. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, that was Meyer.

I just realized i called them Sweet Sweeper. It's Street Sweeper, of course. And you're welcome. Enjoy!

Lyricism + jazz + beat = The following six:

De La Soul - Stakes Is High

Blahzay Blahzay - Danger

In summary, my #1 recommendation is Camp Lo, bar none, if you like this type of rap, then you need these guys on your mp3 player or cd player. Get 'Uptown Saturdsy Night'. The whole album will have you high on life. 'Luchini' is still one of my favorite all-time tracks ever. I haven't met anyone who's into rap, whatever their coast, who can't feel this song. Even ppl who don't like rap have said they like this song. My parents liked this song, and that's saying alot since they normally don't like rap. It's one of the reasons I always drink Amaretto whenever I can. After that get The Roots and De La Soul.

Strictly Old School I have to get a few of these in though it's not necessarily jazzy but tell me if you're following any of these:

Akon - Operations of Nature then theres this one that I once had with a promotional CD around '96 but I lost it and basically all traces of the original song that had only Akon on it. I had alot of his pre-lockup music back then. Now I can't find a real copy anywhere. As far as I know, I'm one of the only ppl who even know these songs exist. It isn't even listed on his Wiki page.

And after the earlier convo about rap-rock I realized that this might be an opportunity to uplink the original rap-rockers. I was just a little kid in upstate NY listening to my older sister's Run-DMC and Beastie Boys tapes.

Beastie Boys - Slow and Low

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/video/detail.asp?=Marley-Marl-Craig-G-Masta-Ace-Kool-G-Rap-Big-Daddy-Kane-The-Symphony-Cold-Chillin-Records&ID=1046

This was rap (better label than "hip hop") when it was at it's best and most creative. Yes, the video is raw and lacks direction and production values. But the song, the lyrics, the pure heart is so real. Especially compared to what was to follow ... the overall dreck that is Lil Wayne, Drake, Nicky Minoj and the whole Young Money mess. Take ALL of Young Money and they aren't fit to carry the used condoms of the Juice Crew.

Oh yea, did you all know that Craig G (JUICE CREW!!!) wrote all the battle raps in 8 Mile ? Eminem is such a pussy. Too busy battling with Mariah Carey to think up an original line.

Here's the YouTube version of "The Symphony" uneditted ( unlike the video)

Oh yea, did you all know that Craig G (JUICE CREW!!!) wrote all the battle raps in 8 Mile ? Eminem is such a pussy. Too busy battling with Mariah Carey to think up an original line.

I had to laugh about that one. Yeah that thing that he had going with Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon was pointless.

They were supposed to be making a movie about the Juice Crew a few years back but unfortunately it got scrapped. It would have been nice for the general public to get an education about the early days of rap music. It would have been nice.

Wow, you're not kidding. I am getting that album ASAP.

Hip hop just ain't the same these days.

It's a shame how much it's regressed. I blame the industry. Ppl can only listen to what's put in front of them. The radio repeats their chosen artist on loops, artist started writing music specifically to become ring tones, and the rest of it became "club music".

Archived