A thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

Probably gonna get regulated for saying this; but I think Eminem's Relapse is his best album since Eminem Show. Better with each listen.

Really? I hated it, but The Eminem Show gets some regular play.

Probably gonna get regulated for saying this; but I think Eminem's Relapse is his best album since Eminem Show. Better with each listen.

That's not saying much since Encore is the only album he released since then, and it didn't take much to beat that.

On Wale all you need to do is listen to

and you'll be hooked. Can I change my opinion for hip hop album of the year? This is right up there with Slaughterhouse. Amazing debut for the kid outta DC.

On Nas and Jr Gong, I don't know how they screw this up. It's a match made in heaven for sure.

Yeah Wale was bound to blow up. I love Nike Boots.

Is the Nas/Marley album still on? Last i heard it was on indefinite hold due to Nas' issues with his ex.

Is the Nas/Marley album still on? Last i heard it was on indefinite hold due to Nas' issues with his ex.

Well the first I heard about it, it was supposed to be released this fall. That said, this NPR article from today has the release date set for March. So things still look pretty good. I wouldn't worry especially since this album's profits are going to charity. These type of projects are important to artists like Nas and Damian Marley

Er yeah I don't know wtf I meant. Ture, Eminem hasn't done shit since Encore and Encore was weak. My point was Relapse is one of those albums I initially didn't really think was that great, but it has grown on me. It's definitely not a radio friendly unit shifter type of album though.

Er yeah I don't know wtf I meant. Ture, Eminem hasn't done shit since Encore and Encore was weak. My point was Relapse is one of those albums I initially didn't really think was that great, but it has grown on me. It's definitely not a radio friendly unit shifter type of album though.

Oh we all know that Em could fart into a microphone for 45 minutes and still move 1 million units. I'm just afraid that that may be why his last two efforts have been less than stellar. He isn't really as hungry as he was earlier in his career. Success has changed his content bc he may no longer relate to the type of music that he was making before. Hopefully I'm wrong. Like I said before, his verse on "Forever" put everyone else in the shade, so it's obvious that he's capable of making that type of music but it's up to him. He's also apparently left D12 behind and is hopefully about to link up with Slaughterhouse, so good music could be on it's way from him..

not really much of a Hip Hop fan..nothing against it, when its got really good lyrics and they have good beats and talent.. But.. whats the deal with Autotune all of a sudden? every time I turn on the radio its like putting in a Daft Punk album..

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get why Wale gets so much credit. I've listened to Attention Deficit 3-4 times now, and I think its garbage.

Sure, he can flow about nonsense, but he says nothing. He lacks depth of any sort. He's not as talented as any of the members of Slaughterhouse, Horus, and certainly not the equal of them combined.

Yes, 'Nike Boots' is catchy, but so was Paperboy's 'The Diddy.' Hell, so was 'Ice, Ice, Baby.'

I don't get why Wale gets so much credit. I've listened to Attention Deficit 3-4 times now, and I think its garbage.

Sure, he can flow about nonsense, but he says nothing. He lacks depth of any sort. He's not as talented as any of the members of Slaughterhouse, Horus, and certainly not the equal of them combined.

Yes, 'Nike Boots' is catchy, but so was Paperboy's 'The Diddy.' Hell, so was 'Ice, Ice, Baby.'

I don't know if it's fair say that there was no substance to Attention Deficit. If you listen to tracks like 'TV in the Radio' with K'naan, or especially 'Shades' which speaks to the Naija-American experience growing up with Black-Americans or even '90210' where he talks about how women see themselves, there's plenty of substance there and he doesn't usually get off topic and just ramble on like alot of modern rappers do. At this point he's no Nas or KRS-One but he certainly relies on lyricism alot more than most rappers these days do and he opens the door a bit more to storytelling lyrics which was what was so good about rap in the 90's.

I can't say that it speaks to everyone and you've obviously listened to it enough to say whether or not you took anything away from it or not. But I still have to say that I put it right up there with Slaughterhouse as album of the year as far as hiphop goes. And since Nas and Damian Marley didn't release their album last year as planned, I can't see anything else that was even close.

I can understand the differing opinions thing, and I certainly think he has ability. I'll check out his stuff in the future, probably, but he's not in my rotation.

I'm a big, white, bald, tattooed guy from Boston, so I probably can't relate to the Naija-American experience.

I can understand the differing opinions thing, and I certainly think he has ability. I'll check out his stuff in the future, probably, but he's not in my rotation.

Obviously he has work to do to go down with ppl like Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Andre Benjamin, Ice Cube, Talib Kweli & Mos, Eric Sermon or any of the others. But that's not who I'm comparing him with at the moment. He's up with guys like Common or Royce who are vying for a slice of the market today. In today's market it's important to at least sift the guys with talent from the lackluster rappers who seem to dominate the market today.

Basically, he has alot of the same elements that makes the members of Slaughterhouse so exciting for today's market. He's not afraid to experiment with production, he relies heavily on lyrics and not hooks, he uses creative punchlines but doesn't use them as filler when he has nothing better to say. Okay, maybe he relies on punchlines over flow moreso than Slaughterhouse's MC's so I'd give them the slight edge overall. Both were impressive and I give SH points for being able to blend their styles almost as seamlessly as some of the best groups like Bone Thugs or Wu Tang who've been together much longer.

I'm a big, white, bald, tattooed guy from Boston, so I probably can't relate to the Naija-American experience.

Are you Dana White? Because you just described Dana White. :lol:

BTW, being from Beantown, what's coming out of there as far as hiphop. Some of the few names I pick off the top of my head are guys like Guru or Benzino. It wasn't too long ago that Joe Budden was dissing Boston rappers, probably due to his beef with Benzino, but I've heard that they have a pretty live underground scene.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I call 'em, or can I call 'em. Apparently HiphopWired.com agrees with my taste in music. Here is their top 10 list of 2009:

1. Wale: Attention Deficit

2. Raekwon: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2

3. Slaughterhouse: Self Titled Album

4. Clipse: Til The Casket Drops

5. Ghostface Killah: Ghostdini: The Wizard Of Poetry In Emerald City

6. Jay-Z: Blueprint III

7. Eminem: Relapse

8. Joe Budden: Padded Room

9. Rick Ross: Deeper Than Rap

10. Mixtape for Honorable Mention - J. Cole: The Warm Up

As great as Slaughterhouse was, I can see them being eclipsed by Wale's effort which I think is some of the best hiphop has offered in years. I still have to get Streethop and OB4CL but money is tight, but I've been listening to them both on Youtube, but there's something about having it on your MP3 player that changes the listening experience. Listening to it in the car or sitting at work or waiting for the train, it all makes it come together and you feel closer to the music somehow, I can't really explain it. I guess I just have to get the albums. I'll probably have to grab the J. Budden too.

BTW, is Rick Ross becoming the new Scarface? I really am diggin his sound.

Can I call 'em, or can I call 'em. Apparently HiphopWired.com agrees with my taste in music. Here is their top 10 list of 2009:

1. Wale: Attention Deficit

2. Raekwon: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2

3. Slaughterhouse: Self Titled Album

5. Ghostface Killah: Ghostdini: The Wizard Of Poetry In Emerald City

6. Jay-Z: Blueprint III

Conveniently enough, I read this and went right to Amazon MP3, where they have Wale's Attention Deficit on sale for $5. Will be checking this out on Monday's commute.

I have no idea how I missed Ghostface putting out an album. Of course, it seems like he has released so much stuff in the past few years that one album can get overlooked, especially by someone like me who has trouble keeping years straight.

And while I'm still not a fan of Jay-Z in general, I do enjoy "Empire State of Mind".

Other hiphop I liked from 2009: Diamond District's In The Ruff and MC Esoteric's Saving Seamus Ryan.

The new Jay Electronica - Exhibit C (produced by Just Blaze)is being thrown around by a lot of people as the best Hip-Hop song of '09 and I'd certainly agree that it's up there.

Nas & Damien Marley album is being released on 4/20 now and the first single's been released.

Nas & Damien Marley album is being released on 4/20 now and the first single's been released.

I wonder if they're going to put something for Haiti in this, I know this album was supposed to be for charity. I hope they don't have to delay too much longer. I'll have to look that single up.

Here it is.

Archived