Series POV

Maggi

I know this had to have been discussed, but I didn't find it. At least this forum.

Just wondering your thoughts on the series using Pov like the books. Second part of topic would be hearing the Pov thoughts.

I just think we will miss, and the new audience would miss some of the flavor of the storytelling without Pov or the personal thoughts of the character.

For Example: AND SPOILER ALERT!!

Half of Tyrion's dialog. We learned alot from the dwarf pov. Most of it not saying what he is thinking...I still think it would be a good idea to hear the pov thoughts in the series. Just to hear half the dialog in his head as he is confronting Janos Stynt, and his sister, and his father, ect. ect.

I guess its too radical to use in a series... and I know they have said they won't take this route. But, sure works with the books.

It's going to be tricky because there are a few characters - Tyrion, Catelyn, Jaime, for example - who are very different in their internal thoughts than they are on the outside. Either Benioff and Weiss and GRRM are going to need to write a lot of extra scenes for them, where they can express these kind of things externally (which might not work very well, depending on the situation), or we're going to have to rely on the actors to be able to express a lot of that simply by body language and expression.

I just think we will miss, and the new audience would miss some of the flavor of the storytelling without Pov or the personal thoughts of the character.

I guess its too radical to use in a series... and I know they have said they won't take this route. But, sure works with the books.

I think this works perfectly in a book, but I've always found quite ridiculous and unnerving the "Mike Hammer" effect. Different ways to communicate: in a movie/TV you have to show, not to tell.

Yeah, David Lynch went with voiceovers to express character thoughts in Dune and it was quite weird. Didn't work very well at all, so I'd prefer it if they didn't do that.

Archived