The Mythago Wood Cycle by Robert Holdstock

Werthead

Cool. I do think Mythago Wood is one of those books where it helps to think "Ok, I'm not going to get very good dialogue (or whatever) but I am going to get excellent imagery, so hopefully that will balance it out". However, there's no obligation on readers to have to accept that. It does teeter on the edge of going too far at points too, and I think Avilion does suffer from that. I doubt you'd like Avilion as much - it felt a bit like a caricature of Mythago Wood at times!

• 1 year later...

A little necromancy....

It is a failing of the book if it sucks. That particular element of the novel brought it down considerably, and it would've been better served if it didn't lean on it, so much. I've no problem with romance, quite the opposite, but I found the romantic moments in Mythago Wood unbeliavable, and even laughable. Perhaps growing up in a similar area means I don't have any quiant notions for Celtic Princesses, so the foreigness of it does nothing for me. I've never desired a woman like that, and the author did nothing to convince me I should.

I have no intentions of changing your mind here, but the lust/desire for Guiwenneth didn't seem like it was intended to be natural, or organic, or something you would ever be expected to feel towards another human being. Stephen, Christian, and their father all fell hard for her, and I saw it as part of the myth they were being drawn into. The myth called for the love, so it forced it. Sort of like in the story of Tristan and Iseult (which I think was intended to have the same sort of proto-mythic origin, according to Holdstock's philosophy), or at least earlier incarnations of it, its a potion that causes the love and pain that follows, entirely outside of the heroes' control. Stephen's desire was driven by his role in the myth, because it is part of the effect the mythago of Guiwenneth has on her creator.

ANYHOW. I just got through reading both Mythago Wood and Lavondyss over the past couple of weeks. Mythago Wood was fantastic, fun, and presented plenty of new ideas (to me at least) on the nature and purpose of myth. Just like every review promised. Lavondyss was...just so different. And darker. Much darker. I wasn't really satisfied when I finished it, and still don't think I am, but that is no fault of the book itself. It was dense, and maybe a re-read will help, although letting it sink in a bit more oughta do the trick.

I was taken aback by how different they were to my expectations. Going into Mythago Wood, I expected to see a lot more Arthur and Robin Hood, more famous mythic characters. I'm glad they weren't there, and focusing on the proto-myths was a good move. Curious though, seeing that another of the cycle is called Merlin's Wood, DO they eventually get focus? Does he leave behind the more primal feel of the first two novels in favor of a more...familiar mythago set?

• 6 months later...

Little bit of necromancy here, but I just read Mythago Wood... I've got to say, I agree with Jhogo on the romance. I didn't click with it at all and the forced aspect of it just made it worse.

I also didn't like the initial presentation of the origin of the Mythagos, though that changed later on.

However, by far the most distracting thing in the book for me was that (before even going in) anyone could possibly consider three square miles of woodland as a forest, let alone a huge expanse. Even within the book itself it's mentioned once they get going that a person could run around it in an hour. Every time, particularly at the start, the narration made mention of how big this untamed forest was it totally broke my disbelief. The Forest of Dean is described as 'vast' ffs. A little thing to quibble on, sure, but given that it's quite crucial to the early atmosphere it irritated me well beyond what it maybe should have done.

I really really did like that part of the book actually spent in the woods, though. It's a fantastic concept and, in the end, it was really well presented. More than made up for an engagingly written but lackluster first half.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read this a while ago and enjoyed it. Like Werthead says, the central concept for me was strong enough to carry the book over the weaker elements. It probably sounds weird, given what fantasy is like, but it's one of the few fantasy stories that strikes me as really strange and mysterious rather than just a setting with a different set of predictable rules. Anyhow, here is a short review for anyone interested: http://www.sffchroni...-holdstock.html

I read this a while ago and enjoyed it. Like Werthead says, the central concept for me was strong enough to carry the book over the weaker elements. It probably sounds weird, given what fantasy is like, but it's one of the few fantasy stories that strikes me as really strange and mysterious rather than just a setting with a different set of predictable rules. Anyhow, here is a short review for anyone interested: http://www.sffchroni...-holdstock.html

It's become hard to find in the bookstore.

I'd never heard of this author or series till someone mentioned them on this site (in the paul kearney thread?) anyway I'm going to order The Mythagos Wood soon

Fuck :(

Met the guy twice. Last time we had a great chat about the Elite tie-in novella he wrote to accompany the original game and his next book, which is going to be a continuation of Avilion. Great bloke. Really hope he pulls through.

I was interested in this aswel, although I don't remember the game, the name rung a bell with me for some reason. Thought it was one of those Amiga games I loved from the 80's.

Anyway, Wert, can you give a little info on the novella that comes with the game? I've heard it gives the player some insight into the morals and laws expected in the game to raise your rank (to elite) but it's hard to find information about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived