Varys Targaryen?

Satoris T Born

And one more thing. GRRM dont want that you see what is Varys motivate. But if you look very deep you can find the truth on Varys. Grrm always hint big things. Remember Red Wedding or Jon's parentage dilem?

That's interesting. I never considered the Aegon IV's children, and one of the women being Lysene.

That is huge, and coupled with Aegon being bald.....crazy. That really adds to a bunch.

Separate topic in your thread: And the mormont's raven being bloodraven is odd. How did the raven get up there? Was it just accompanying Aemon? Why would it go to the wall?

Satoris T Born

Hhmm. Meybe you need more that you can undestand what I mean. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=35202

Why Varys want Targaryen back to rule, if he is som Targ bastard? What he then get to herself. He was in Small Counsil, what els you can wish? To be Hand? Why? He cant seed sons so he not need land or lordship. And he say that he want best for the kindom, and he say that its too early to wolf and lion war when he talk to Illyrio. But he think that war need to come. Is war best for kindom? Only if kindom is more redy then to face Others. And how that be. Because Prinse who has promised lead them to war.

Oh, I reread and just saw how Bloodraven could have made it to the wall. Awesome theory. He may be the three eyed crow. Or mormont's raven. Or both?

Thanks for the link!

And you believe her?

Well he hasn't done anything to hurt the realm intentionally. He works to do what must be done.

For example, he is described as running and shouting when the decree comes to behead Ned. He is very much against it, because he knows what problems it will cause. He helps Tyrion do his business when he could stymie him every step of the way.

He allowed Tywin to be killed. He knew what Tyrion was planning to do. And now he has sent Tyrion off to Dany. Why? So they can hang out? He wants Dany to invade and restore Targ reign. A good Targ reign. Not all of them are crazy like Aerys the Mad King.

Just because she wants Dany to invade, does not mean that she wants Dany to succeed and restore Targaryen reign. We know so little of Varys's motives and true goals that speculation based on Varys's own self-promotion and on not obviously plunging everything that is good and nice into blood and horror just strikes me as ridiculously flimsy.

• 2 years later...

Come on! Varys a Targaryen? Is there someone on the entire freaking continent of Westeros who isn't really a Targaryen? I really don't buy it for a second that Varys would be a Targaryen. Does he even have some weird color on his eyes?

• 5 months later...

Have been rereading AGoT recently, and it caught my eye that Pycelle says Varys "was born a slave in Lys". I thought immediately, why Lys? And then considered:

1). The Lyseni have silver hair and purple eyes, courtesy of their Valyrian blood;

2). Varys is bald;

3). We never see his eye colour described.

Varys's attachment to the Targaryens always seemed strange to me. He looked like a pragmatic man, labouring either for himself or "for the good of the realm". But his actions in ASOS and ADWD show that he will sacrifice his own well-being and "the good of the realm" to seat a Targ on the Iron Throne.

The conclusion was obvious. And of course there was already a thread on this theory on the forum.

So yes, I do believe Varys may have Targaryen blood. He may be an offspring of Shiera Seastar, or his Lysean origin may simply be a convenient way to explain his Targ features (hair and eyes). He shaves his head for good measure, and we know at least one Targ to do so (Egg). This would explain his protectiveness of Targ descendants as well. And the kingsblood-bloodmagic connection is a good find, too.

What would be supremely funny if Varys was a descendant of Shiera and Bloodraven. A Targ-Warg, indeed.

• 10 months later...

He's hairless, because he's an eunuch.

the only cure to baldness in males is removing the testicles before the onset of puberty

also if i am correct a targaryen was sent to lys around 100 years before the events of the first book...

Varys is really loyal to the Martells I think. I think that he smuggled Aegon out of Kings Landing before the sack because of his Martell Blood, and that he counciled Aerys not to open the gates to Tywin Lannister because of Elia Martell and her daughter. Varys was also probably looking out for himself, i'm sure he was not expecting a pardon if the city should fall and felt he would probably be killed. In addition, Varys was more secretive about Aegon's location with the small council, over that of Dany and Viserys, I think because of his Martell Blood. Also, I have always felt that Varys was the one that told Doran Martell about Cersei's plot to kill Trystane. It would make sense seeing as how his Little Birds could have been listening in on a small council meeting, or listening in on one of Cersei's private conversations about it.

We don't really know how word of Varys' abilities reached the ears of King Aerys, but Varys' loyalties are one of the murkiest topics of ASOIAF. I think that Varys being loyal to the Martells help to clear up loose ends with him telling Kevan Lannister that Aegon is alive and raised to rule, and then Arianne Martell going to see Aegon in the Winds of Winter preview chapter.

The only way I see him with Targaryen blood is that he's one of Bittersteels bastards.

I could be wrong, thought Bittersteel was a Targ bastard that supported the Blackfyres against house Targaryen in the Blackfyre Rebellion.

And he escaped to the Free Cities to start his own company of sellswords. Maybe he fathered many kids who fathered many orphans????

He is descended from the female line of the Blackfyres.

Archived