Varys Targaryen?

Satoris T Born

It's not a one time event.

They gave Viserys the help of Khal Drogo.

They sent out a warning about Robert's decision to kill Dany and Viserys.

They sent Barristan Selmy to Dany, along with three ships.

SPOILER: ADWD spoiler
They sent Tyrion Lannister to Dany.

It's not just the scheming for Drogo's invasion. It's more like a consecutive trying to help the Targaryens.

The only way I see him with Targaryen blood is that he's one of Bittersteels bastards.

I could be wrong, thought Bittersteel was a Targ bastard that supported the Blackfyres against house Targaryen in the Blackfyre Rebellion.

And he escaped to the Free Cities to start his own company of sellswords. Maybe he fathered many kids who fathered many orphans????

Varys could be a grandson of Aerion Brightflame. In the end of THK Maekar sends him to Lys (where Varys was born), and Aerion certainly would father bastards if he gets the opportunity.

Bittersteel might be an opportunity as well, although I have no idea if Bittersteel ever lived in Lys. And one should think that Bittersteel descendents should be part of the Golden Company.

And, of course, Aerys II would never have called Varys to court if he had known about that. Bittersteel took part in Daemon Blackfyre's first rebellion and most likely organized the later Blackfyre rebellions. And the Golden Company could have fought in the War of the Nine Penny Kings against Aerys.

But as I have stated earlier, Varys could also have gotten his drop of Dragon Blood from Aerion's son or Daeron's daughter. We just have no idea yet what happened to them. Or what happened to Rhaegel Targaryen's children.

Varys is not a Targaryen. There's no evidence that supports such a theory whatsoever.

What? None whatsoever? Nice rebuttal. Couldn't you have trimmed down all your evidence for that?

Are you reading these books? GRRM hides more clues in a sentence than any author I've ever seen. This isn't your Harry Potter series, Szar.

When one is a eunich, it is not hair that is cut off. That comment makes no sense.

When one is a Eunuch it means they were castrated before puberty. Thus hair does not grow on their body, thus Varys is hairless because he is a Eunuch.

Comment makes 100% sense.

On topic: Even if he had silver hair, it could just mean he's Valarian of some sort. The Daynes also have silver hair and violet eyes don't they?

What? None whatsoever? Nice rebuttal. Couldn't you have trimmed down all your evidence for that?

Are you reading these books? GRRM hides more clues in a sentence than any author I've ever seen. This isn't your Harry Potter series, Szar.

No one has provided even a single piece of evidence that is in any way valid.

I'd appreciate it if you could keep the snide remarks to yourself.

Moose, a eunuch is not necessarily castrated before puberty. The term refers to any castrated man. Castration before puberty would also not result in hair loss on the head -- Varys evidently shaves for that.

No one has provided even a single piece of evidence that is in any way valid.

I'd appreciate it if you could keep the snide remarks to yourself.

Perhaps the snide is in response to your rebuttal, which is inaccurate by the way, and as subtle and eloquent as a hammer to the head, an equivalent of "All your opinions are completely wrong. Because I say so."

*edited to lower the snideness :)

Bittersteel might be an opportunity as well, although I have no idea if Bittersteel ever lived in Lys. And one should think that Bittersteel descendents should be part of the Golden Company.

And, of course, Aerys II would never have called Varys to court if he had known about that.

My only thought on this was that if Varys were already a eunuch, then maybe Aerys would have took him into service anyway despite is connection to Bittersteel, because he knew Varys would father no heirs that would be a threat to him.

Moose, a eunuch is not necessarily castrated before puberty. The term refers to any castrated man. Castration before puberty would also not result in hair loss on the head -- Varys evidently shaves for that.

Of course it's not exclusive, but most eunuchs were cut prior to any hormonal development because they would be used as servants/slaves in royal courts where physical access could be cause for problems.

Hairless- as a term, has been used for every Eunuch thus far presented in ASOIAF so presumably it refers to lack of hair on their bodies and everywhere else excluding the head. I was merely defending the statement which said Varys is hairless because he's a Eunuch, which, in the context of the books, is true. If he was only bald I'm sure his descriptions would say as much, as various other characters have been described as balding or shave their heads (i.e Luwin and Tywin).

Interesting side note: In some texts the word Eunuch also referred to men who were impotent or celibate.

Varys is not a Targaryen. There's no evidence that supports such a theory whatsoever.

Of course there is evidence, plenty of which has already been mentioned in this thread.

1. The assistance to Viserys/Dany
  2. The lack of hair, which could be intended to hide a distinguishing characteristic
  3. The name
  4. The fact that his body parts were used in a magic spell, and we've heard many times king's blood has magic properties

Is that proof? No. But it could surely be counted as evidence.

Right now it's important to keep in mind that no one (except Arya, at least in a way) knows that Varys and Illyrio are working together. Not their pawns, nor those who are protected by them. Tyrion is going to know it in ADwD, but Ser Jorah Mormont, Ser Barristan Selmy, Viserys and Daenerys have no idea. At least, that's what we believe; Selmy, for example, knew about Illyrio from his service on the Small Council, although Varys manipulated him into deciding to join Daenerys by orchestrating his removal from the Kingsguard, he himself has no clue about that. If he had, he would have a better opinion of Varys.

And a certain tragic goes with that secrecy: If Dany had known about Varys, Ser Jorah would not have been a traitor in the way he ended up being in Dany's mind.

On that Bittersteel thing: I consider it theoretically possible that Varys is a descendent of Bittersteel, but if that is the case, I assume, then Aerys II can't be aware of that when he decides he needs that 'cockless wonder' from Pentos as his Master of Whisperers. The last Blackfyre rebellion happened during Aerys's II reign, and it's not unlikely that the Golden Company fought there against the Targaryens. And then Aerys would have Varys killed rather then let him sit in his Council.

And, of course, Varys and Illyrio secured that any attempt on Dany's life would be foiled due to Jorah's intervention. Varys said to Ned that the men (who were doomed to fail) he send out to poison Dany were already on their way.

Is that proof? No. But it could surely be counted as evidence.

"Proof" and "evidence" are two words for the same thing. (Not precisely, but close enough for the purposes of this discussion.)

None of what you listed is evidence, because Varys does not have to be a Targaryen for even a single one of them. Varys isn't the only one who has assisted Viserys and Daenerys; is Jorah Mormont a Targaryen too? Illyrio? Varys shaves his head. Maybe he just prefers being bald. Varys' name isn't proof of anything; he is Lysene, and for all we know, names such as his are common there. Varys was a member of a travelling circus prior to his cutting, assuming he speaks the truth to Tyrion (which I believe he does). How would the sorcerer who bought him know whether he had the blood of kings?

Perhaps the snide is in response to your rebuttal, which is inaccurate by the way, and as subtle and eloquent as a hammer to the head, an equivalent of "All your opinions are completely wrong. Because I say so."

Change the latter to "Because the facts do not support it", and I'll agree that's what I said.

Change the latter to "Because the facts do not support it", and I'll agree that's what I said.

How about "because I've heard nothing that convinces me" and I'll agree with you. The facts don't support or deny it. While its not the most likely outcome, its certainly not that far out of a theory. And the evidence (because it is evidence) at least makes a decent case. So much of Varys is a mystery, that's why its easy to speculate about him.

Archived