Exercise and Fitness IX

Vestrit

Seastarr

I'm sure you have posted plenty before

She has, but the posts are often hard to find when you need them. There should have been a sticky thread called "seastarr's stretching exercises" or something like that at the top of this forum.

but do you any exercises to improve shoulder flexibility? Mines terrible and its hindering my lifting.

Same thing with me. I recently decided to learn to do full snatches in addition to the power snatches I've been doing for a while, and discovered that I can't do a single deep overhead squat with an empty bar. The problem isn't strength (I'm weak, but nowhere near that weak), but flexibility: I just can't bring my arms far enough backwards to keep the center of gravity above my feet. I can manage a quarter squat, but not much more.

Something completely different:

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about pullups last week! I haven't found the time to try out your suggestions yet, but it seems like just thinking about it helped a little: Yesterday I managed 17 bodyweight pullups, which is one rep more than the upper end of the 14--16 range I have been stuck in for the last couple of months.

She has, but the posts are often hard to find when you need them. There should have been a sticky thread called "seastarr's stretching exercises" or something like that at the top of this forum.

Same thing with me. I recently decided to learn to do full snatches in addition to the power snatches I've been doing for a while, and discovered that I can't do a single deep overhead squat with an empty bar. The problem isn't strength (I'm weak, but nowhere near that weak), but flexibility: I just can't bring my arms far enough backwards to keep the center of gravity above my feet. I can manage a quarter squat, but not much more.

Something completely different:

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about pullups last week! I haven't found the time to try out your suggestions yet, but it seems like just thinking about it helped a little: Yesterday I managed 17 bodyweight pullups, which is one rep more than the upper end of the 14--16 range I have been stuck in for the last couple of months.

Same here. Snatches are impossible. Overhead squats the same. I struggle with power cleans and front squats. All because of poor flexibility.

17 pull ups is impressive.

LTL and Vethnar:

I have posted some arm stretches and I have a little shoulder stretch series I am working on for QuietColors and her handstands. I hope to get that up this weekend.

In addition to the prep for handstand series I will add a few other stretches for you guys. I think I see what's going on for you Vethnar, sounds like chest and external rotation of shoulders need work--but LTL can you describe how your shoulders are tight? What directions are the hardest?

Here's the page with the original arm stretches I posted a while back. This was more for arms, but it will get your shoulders some too.

ETA: LTL I just read your last post--so chest and external rotation for you, probably overhead range as well. The handstand series will be good for you.

Do any of you guys have experience with physical therapy? I think I have a slipped disc in my lower back and I'm seeing a PT tomorrow.

Yes. The success of your physical therapy depends on several factors: the skill and expertise of your practitioner, your ability to stick with your program and do your homework, and your ability to apply what you have learned to everything you do in your day-to-day activities. Take what you learn at PT with you into everyday life.

Ask questions of your PT if you don't understand what they are having you do. If you have particular concerns, like with having to sit for so long everyday, tell them how that seems to bother your back and ask for assistance in finding ways to change how you sit to make it better.

Unfortunately, a herniated or bulging disk can take a while to recover, so don't get frustrated if progress is slow. Muscles spasms are usually part of the matrix. I always advise my clients to find a "rescue position," a very comfortable position they can go into if the spasms or pain get intense. (I am usually the person people come to after they have already done their round of physical therapy and/or their insurance runs out and they are still in lots of pain. They are often very worn down from being in pain for so long.)

Here are some possible rescue positions for a lumbar herniation. You might want to ask your PT if they have other suggestions for you as far as how to find a pain free position for you to relax in. I do think it's helpful to know ways to get out of pain that go beyond drugs and ice. Helps to feel that you have more input and control over the situation, knowing you can take action to help yourself and allieviate your pain.

You would have to try each shape to figure out which one works for you. You'll know it because it will be a pain-free position and you will feel like the back spasms can release a bit:

1) Lying prone (on the belly), either with weight resting on elbows or with a large pillow under the chest. Legs are straight, side by side.

2) Child's Pose: Kneeling, sitting hips down towards heels, letting chest rest on thighs. If chest won't settle because of tightness in back, hips, ankles, or knees, rest some weight on elbows. You could also put a long, large pillow between the legs and rest the torso on that.

3) Constructive Rest Position: Lying supine, with calves draped over the seat of a chair, sofa, or ottoman. Knees and hips should both be flexed at about 90 degrees.

It can be helpful to feel that you have tools in your toolbox for coping with the pain, because sometimes the pain is very persistent and it becomes hard to hold together in your mind when it is seemingly never-ending.

Remember, it will change! Finding your rescue position will give you moments of relief when you really, really need it.

Hey Trisk--Here's the position I am talking about. Sorry for the poor quality picture. The main difference I see between CRP and the static back you describe is that in CRP the legs are resting on something and so they can relax more. Also tension can be released more in the hip sockets in CRP.

Consider a nice thick mat for under your body in the CRP or static back. It may help the feeling of your back being driven into the floor uncomfortably.

Aeromat makes one that is 5/8 of an inch of nice squishiness--don't bother with a thin yoga mat, you need cushion!

As long as you are shopping, check out this book, 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back. It has lots of good advice for proper sitting and alignment techniques, and plenty of pictures to help you figure out how to do the exercises yourself. (JM Coetzee recommends it!)

BTW--it's not which chair you have, it's how you sit in it that matters.

day 10 out of 14 consecutive workout days is done. Nothing majorly different or shocking going on, except that I've been doing negatives on bench in an effort to increase it, taking a good three seconds lowering, (pause) one second lift up. My chest feels groooovy right now.

Despite a massive breakfast of a Southwestern omlette (with ham, bacon, avocado, jack cheddar, and chorizo, yummm!!) and fried potatoes yesterday, my weight is holding steady at 168 pounds. Five more to go.

Same here. Snatches are impossible.

I can do power snatches, but only when catching with almost straight legs. Of course, this severely limits the amount of weight I can lift.

By the way, I just found this video from the women's 48 kg class in the Beijing Olympics. How many of you can snatch and clean-and-jerk more than a 48 kg girl? I certainly can't, and I doubt that better flexibility would be enough to make me able to do it.

Overhead squats the same. I struggle with power cleans and front squats. All because of poor flexibility.

I have no big problems with power cleans, but front squats are hard.

17 pull ups is impressive.

Thanks, but given my bird-like physique it isn't really that impressive. It also looks like it was just a fluke; in the last two workouts I was back at the more usual number of 15.

LTL and Vethnar:

I have posted some arm stretches and I have a little shoulder stretch series I am working on for QuietColors and her handstands. I hope to get that up this weekend.

Cool! The weekend is almost over now (at least here in Europe), but I can wait a little longer. :)

In addition to the prep for handstand series I will add a few other stretches for you guys. I think I see what's going on for you Vethnar, sounds like chest and external rotation of shoulders need work

I never thought about the chest being (part of) the problem, but it might very well be.

Here's the page with the original arm stretches I posted a while back. This was more for arms, but it will get your shoulders some too.

Yes, looks useful. Thanks again.

Two general questions about stretching: Does it matter when during the day I do my stretches? If I'm impatient (yes, I know, I shouldn't be) and want to see improvements more quickly, is it better to increase the frequency of stretching, or to stretch for a longer period of time each time?

Here's a shoulder series for the lifters to add into the normal stretching routine. Take care as you are starting out especially if you are extra tight. You do not need to be able to look just like the pictures to get the stretch! Let me know how it goes.

Small Arm Circles

1) Stand feeling well stacked up into your ideal posture. (Have you read my posts about the core? Good. Then you know how to engage TA and suck your belly in.) Also try to engage external obliques and glutes to help hold torso and pelvis stable when you do this. You back should NOT be rocking and swaying as your arms move.

2) Arms reach out to your sides at shoulder height so your straight arms are extended parallel to the floor. Turn your head and check that your hands line up slightly forward of your shoulders.

3) Make fists with your thumbs free, point your thumbs to your front.

4) Draw circles about the size of the plate you would use for dessert, 8 each way, fairly quickly.

5) Repeat the circles each way with thumbs up.

6) Repeat the circles each way with thumbs down.

7) Repeat the circles one last time with thumbs pointing back behind you.

Big Arm Circles

1) Standing in the stable upright posture as above.

2) Draw a big arm circle, as big as you can make free of pain. Start by extending the arm out of the shoulder joint in front of you, taking it overhead, and then try to go back and over as far behind you as possible.

3) At first, pace should be slow and controlled. As you feel a little looser you can move a little faster. Eventually you can do this in a swinging fashion like Michael Phelps before a race. But wait until you feel nice and limber before you try that.

4) Arms straight! Body stable! No arching in the back!

Modified Downward Facing Dog

1) Find a table, counter, or boxy surface that stands at about the height of your hip bones, or a little taller.

2) Stand close to the table surface and place your palms flat upon it. For now, shoulder width or wider with your hands. Wider tends to be a little gentler on the shoulders if tight. If you try shoulder-width and during the following stretch you feel a pain near the top attachment of your deltoid, that is a sign you should take your hands a little wider.

3) Keeping your hands where they are, start to walk your feet back away from the table and bend the torso forward. Try to flatten your back down and make it like a table top. Ultimately you are going to look sort of rectangular.

4) There is a feeling of the chest dropping towards the floor, the belly up-sucking, and the tail untucking so it feels like you are sticking your butt out.

5) Weight is in the heels (I snuck in a hamstring stretch for you!)

Arm Circles with Belt or Towel

1) Start standing in stable upright posture. Hold your belt or towel in both hands like this, at least two feet apart and possibly wider than that if you are a)over six feet tall or b) tight in the shoulders. If you are both tight and tall, you’ll need a nice wide grip to start.

2) Lift straight arms out in front of you and up over your head.

3) Try to head back behind you with straight arms so you complete a circle and end with the belt behind you, arms down. If you can't make it all the way through the circle, go as far as you can, and then back down. Then, start from the behind the body belt position, and try to lift up as high as you can.

4) Of course the back will not be arching while you do this. Belly in, ribs down!

External Rotation

1) Sit or stand with your back up against a wall. It is very important that you are able to touch your spine into the wall from the base of your neck down through your bottom ribs and also your sacrum. The back of your head should also touch the wall. This position may not be all that easy to do at first. Let me know if you have trouble.

2) Bend the elbows 90 degrees. Lift your upper arms so that the elbows also touch the wall. Your forearms will be sticking out from the wall straight in front of you. This is the start position.

3) Now, keeping the elbows on the wall, start to rotate the shoulder and arm so that the forearm and the backs of the hands begin to travel up and against the wall. If you cannot touch the wall while keeping the back and the back of the head pressed into the wall, have a kind friend gently press the hands and forearms towards the wall. It may take time until they are able to touch. This is not one to rush!

Sorry it all takes me so long, everyone. It's still Sunday afternoon for me! And I have been making fairy wings for Halloween, and yesterday I flew on the flying trapeze--it was so fun! And not half as hard as I thought it would be.

Two general questions about stretching: Does it matter when during the day I do my stretches? If I'm impatient (yes, I know, I shouldn't be) and want to see improvements more quickly, is it better to increase the frequency of stretching, or to stretch for a longer period of time each time?

I hate trying to tell people when to stretch. I am going to be honest with you. I stretch all the time. I stretch first thing in the morning, later in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening. I often dream about stretching. I think the consistency and frequency is what has made me a flexible person. I'm going to go with small doses more frequently.

That said, my kettlebell teacher gives me very dirty looks when I ask him if I can stretch after my KB sessions. He's got his reasons. I try to follow his directions, although it's actually hard to do, given the fact that I teach 7 hours a day and most of that time I am actively involved in demonstrations. So fitting in a KB workout where I am not stretching afterwards isn't actually that easy for me.

As I have said before, I've done almost ever variation of when to stretch that you can imagine. I like them all, even the ones that people swear you shouldn't do.

The main rule is to trust what your body tells you in the moment.

I can definitely vouch for the arm circles exercise if you want to develop the shoulder flexibility for overhead squats and snatches. I'd also say that you can get a lot of benefit from it if you use a very light bar as well as a towel or belt. Doesn't even have to be a proper bar, a broom handle or other wooden pole works just as well.

Inversion Prep Shoulder Series

This is what I do before I am going to practice handstands or a forearm balance to open the shoulders. I don’t love my pictures for this (they have several issues as far as alignment goes, plus erg…my butt looks big), but hopefully I can describe the shapes well enough that you can get the gist. I also do some lunges and hip flexor stretching before I practice the inversions—helps with the alignment upside down.

You will need 2 yoga blocks to get the most out of this series. Also, a sticky surface like a yoga mat is essential. A stretching buddy does not go amiss, and is pretty important for one of them!

Child’s Pose with blocks (this one really needs blocks)

1) Put the two yoga blocks at the front of the mat so the long edges line up with the short edge of your mat. Put 5-7 inches of space between the blocks.

2) Kneel, facing the short edge of your mat where the blocks are.

3) You are going to hook your elbows over the blocks. The pointy part of the elbow should just overhang the far edge of the block. Get this set up with the soft part of the elbow facing the ceiling and your palms face up. Make the rotation come from the upper arm bone at the shoulder.

4) Keeping arms as they are, sit rear towards heels, suck belly in, and drop the chest towards the floor. It is more important to drop the chest than it is to get the rear to the heels.

5) Keep trying to get the palms facing up via the arm rotation. If it is hard, get your buddy to grasp your upper arms and help rotate them. (Her thumbs should hold the inner edge of the arm, the fingers the outer edge. Then they rotate to bring the inner edge of your arm up.

External rotation in Overhead Range

In this one you can use a box or chair seat instead of a block.

1) Kneeling, bend the elbows. If you have yoga blocks, hold one long ways between the palms. If you have none, put the palms together in a praying position.

2) Hook the pointy part of your elbows on the near edge of the other yoga block or chair seat. You want your elbows to be very narrow—shoulder-width or even a little narrower if you can manage and maintain it.

3) Start to make the same shape as above, sitting back towards the heels, and dropping the chest towards the floor. Try not to let the elbows slide wider as you go. Buddy can hold them narrow to assist.

4) Once you are down as far as you are able, begin to move hands/block towards your upper back.

Down Doggish Shoulder Stretch with Partner

You need a friend for this to work best. Your friend needs to be somewhat limber and have healthy knees. You need to do some hamstring loosening to prep for this one. You can be on the tip toes if the heels will not go down, and the knees can bend a little if they must.

1) Put the long edge of the yoga block against the wall. (If you don’t have one, just skip this step)

2) Kneel facing the wall and your block. Come down so you rest your weight on your elbows and forearms. Put the palms on the floor with the thumb running along the bottom long edge of the block, and the index finger and rest of fingers going up the outside of the block. (If you have no block, just put the palms about shoulder width, fingertips about 2 inches from wall.)

3) Your forearms will be down on the floor. Make them parallel to each other (like railroad tracks) if you can. If they wont go straight, bring the elbows as narrow as you are able.

4) Your friend will now step over your arms so she has one foot on either side of your forearms, and her back against the wall.

5) She will gently use her feet to help you narrow your elbows.

6) Now, you need to lift your butt and knees up in the air and try to straighten your legs. Walk the feet towards the wall so you end up in a triangular shape, as best you can. You don’t want to be in a plank.

7) Once you are triangular, your friend, still holding your elbows with her knees, will bend her knees, putting them together knock-kneed, and press the points of her knees between your shoulder blades.

8) As she presses, your chest should move towards your shins.

From the position of the above stretch, (once your friend is out of the way!) You kick up into pincha mayurasana, or forearm balance. Just kidding! You don’t have to do that part.

Apologies if the pics take forever to load!

Hiked Telescope Peak in Death Valley NP from Shorty's Well. Shorty's Well is at about 250 feet below sea level and Telescope Peak is at 11,049'. My route was 23 or 24 miles with about 12,000' gain/4000' loss. About 8 miles of the hike was cross country in steep, loose terrain. Very exhausting. Started at 3:50am and finished at 4:45pm. Saw about a dozen shooting stars while I was hiking in the dark. Not sure if there was some meteor shower going on or if this is common there.

This looks like a good place to ask. I've been jogging to lose weight (very successfully) since the beginning of the summer. I don't really have a schedule going but I try to do it 2-3 times a week.

That being said, my right calf muscle has been bothering me for a couple weeks now. It feels really tender and sore. Is the muscle pulled? Also, I generally do a warm up walk before starting (like 1 minute) and about a 10 minute cool down walk before I finish. Should I be stretching too before jogging, is my warm up not long enough?

Then, more seriously, the other day my right knee started hurting quite a bit when I finished the jog and when I climbed the stairs up to my apartment it started making a clicking sound. That really worried me because I don't have any idea of what it means or why that would happen. Thoughts?

This looks like a good place to ask. I've been jogging to lose weight (very successfully) since the beginning of the summer. I don't really have a schedule going but I try to do it 2-3 times a week.

That being said, my right calf muscle has been bothering me for a couple weeks now. It feels really tender and sore. Is the muscle pulled? Also, I generally do a warm up walk before starting (like 1 minute) and about a 10 minute cool down walk before I finish. Should I be stretching too before jogging, is my warm up not long enough?

Then, more seriously, the other day my right knee started hurting quite a bit when I finished the jog and when I climbed the stairs up to my apartment it started making a clicking sound. That really worried me because I don't have any idea of what it means or why that would happen. Thoughts?

One reason may be your shoes. Recently my foot hurt after every run I went on, but as soon as I got a new pair of running shoes the pain instantly went away. If you are not wearing running shoes, or if you are not wearing the proper type of running shoes that could be the problem. If you can find a running shoe store with an attendant who can watch your stride and figure out what kind of shoe you need that could be good.

That being said, 1 minute is not much time for an adequate warm-up if the environment you're running in isn't already warm. The idea of a warm-up is to get your body temperature up. If you are warmed up there is a lower chance of you injuring yourself by pulling or tearing anything. You shouldn't really warm up according to time as much as you should warm up until your body feels a bit warm, then you should start your workout. That cool down is plenty big though. After your cool down you should spent some time stretching because your muscles will tighten up right away when you cool down.

As for the knee aspect of this I would say you might want to spend 1 of your running days running a significant amount of hills or perhaps you could add in a few hills to each of your runs. I say this because that will give your quadriceps a workout. Usually if you use distance running as your primary means of exercise then your hamstrings will get a consistent workout but your quadriceps will not. This imbalance usually results in knee pain, known as "runner's knee." So I would say add a lot of hills on one day, or a few hills on each run, or start doing a bit of weightlifting in order to strengthen your quadriceps.

A few thoughts. First, leg pain in runners (whether in the joints or muscles) is often the result of shoe problems. Bad fit, worn our, warped insole, whatever. Simply replacing the insole can make a huge difference. In the short term, the tried and tested method of dealing with pain is to rest it and ice it.

Second, do not stretch statically before your run. Static stretching afterwards is fine, but not before. I would increase both the length and intensity of your warm up. Start off with a power walk but gently progress up to a light jog before going into your main jog.

As for the knee aspect of this I would say you might want to spend 1 of your running days running a significant amount of hills or perhaps you could add in a few hills to each of your runs. I say this because that will give your quadriceps a workout. Usually if you use distance running as your primary means of exercise then your hamstrings will get a consistent workout but your quadriceps will not. This imbalance usually results in knee pain, known as "runner's knee." So I would say add a lot of hills on one day, or a few hills on each run, or start doing a bit of weightlifting in order to strengthen your quadriceps.

Thanks for the feedback on shoes. I'll check those out; I generally wear Reeboks sneakers but at this point I run enough where I think its worth the investment to get real jogging shoes.

About the hills - the area I live in is very hilly. The first five minutes of the run is down a hill, then its pretty flat, then I walk (because I haven't built up to running it yet) a really steep hill. When I hit the top of the hill I start my cooldown.

Archived