Quotes!

Migey

Wayne's World 2. Del Preston, a fictional legendary roadie, is responding to Wayne's question of why he sleeps while hanging upside down.

"Sleeping like this will add ten years to your life. I learned it from Keith Richards when I toured with the Stones. This may be the reason why Keith cannot be killed by conventional weapons."

I like TGS, and the only real thing im dissapointed in is that Sanderson got Mats personality just a little bit off. He just didnt really udnerstand Mat.

Nonetheless, this is one of the few quotes in WoT that made me laugh literally out loud.

The warders called for a search, but Mat just turned down to the village below. ''The answers are there,'' Mat said. ''Thom, your with me. Redarms, watch the women''

Joline stiffened. ''We have little need of being 'watched,' Matrim,'' Joline said grumpily

''Fine,'' he snapped. ''Thom, your with me. Women, watch the redarms.''

This from a rather heated review about the film twilight. (i tried to find the link but it isnt up anymore)

''Ive tried my hardest to find one good thing to say about this film, but i cant. Actually, that was a lie. I didnt try my hardest. I hate this film and anybody who is stupid enough to watch it''

Read a good quote in Dust of Dreams last night.

Female Jaghut: Is not Iksar Jarak a worthy leader?

13 other Jaghut: He is

Female Jaghut: What did he says to us before he sent us here?

13 other Jaghut: Pretend they are T'lan Imass

am currently loving this bit from rebecca west's black lamb and grey falcon, regarding sarajevo:

We were going to see the village outside Sarajevo where the Austrians built a race course and where Franz Ferdinand stayed the night before he died. The road was so extravagantly bad that we bounced like balls, and Constantine had a star of mud on his forehead as he told us, 'Sarajevo has a soul like a village, though it is a town. Now, why has it the sort of soul that it has? In Sarajevo,' he continued, as the car lifted itself out of a rut with a movement not to be expected from a machine, credible only in a tiger leaping out of a pit, 'Slavs and a very fine kind of Slav, endowed with great powers of perception and speculation were confronted with the Turkish Empire at its most magnificent, which is to say Islam at its most magnificent, which is to say Persia at its most magnificent. Its luxury we took, its militarism and its pride, and above all its conception of love. The luxury has gone. The militarism has gone. You have seen what has happened to the pride. But the conception of love is still in the city, and it is a wonderful conception; it refreshes and revivifiesit is clean water and strong wind.'

and, just because the outlaw josey wales is on AMC right now:

Bounty hunter #1: You're wanted, Wales.

Josey Wales: Reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?

Bounty hunter #1: A man's got to do something for a living these days.

Josey Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

• 2 weeks later...

Blackadder.

''Size is no guarantee of quality, Baldrick. Im sure most horses are very well endowed, but that does necassarily make them sensitive lovers.''

Cleverly stolen from imdb's quote page:

Michael: You know, GOB, you might want to start acting like the President. You're beginning to alienate some of the employees.

Gob: Yeah, like the CEO has to worry about alienating the employees.

Narrator: In fact, GOB *had* started to alienate some of the employees.

[in the break room]

Gob: The worst that could happen is that I could spill coffee all over this $3,000 suit. Come on.

[in the elevator]

Gob: Yeah, the guy wearing the $4,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months. Come on.

[in the bathroom]

Gob: Yeah, like I'm going to take a whiz through this $5,000 suit. Come on.

Never retreat. Never explain. Get it done and let them howl.

— Benjamin Jowett

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

— H. L. Mencken

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

— Leonardo da Vinci

"Has it ever occured to you, Master Ninefingers, that a sword is different from other weapons? Axes and maces and so forth are lethal enough, but they hang on the belt like dumb brutes. But a sword...a sword has a voice.

Sheathed it has little to say, to be sure, but you need only put your hand on the hilt and it begins to whisper in your enemy's ear. A gentle word. A word of caution. Do you hear it?

Now, compare it to the sword half drawn. It speaks louder, does it not? It hisses a dire threat. It makes a deadly promise. Do you hear it?

Now compare it to the sword full drawn. It shouts now, does it not? It screams defiance! It bellows a challenge! Do you hear it?"

— Joe Abercrombie (The Blade Itself) <BR class=clear>

From the film Gladiator.

(In the colloseum)

Herald - I GIVE YOU... THE BARBARIANS OF CARTHAGE!!! <enters the 'gladiators' (slaves)>

AND I GIVE YOU... THE LEIGIONARRES! <enters the 'legionarres', teams of people in chariots>

<battle between the two ensues. The slaves win>

Emporer Commodus (who is watching) - <to the herald> Excuse me... i havnt brushed up on my history in a long time, but arnt the barbarians meant to lose the battle of carthage?

Herald - uhh... sorry sire.. i could -

Emperor- oh no nevermind. i like suprises.

Note to self: never read Brandon Sanderson.

LMAO. I have read the Mistborn series, but I was thinking that those quotes were not doing his books any favors. His prose is not his strong point anyhow.

I think it is funny how many words Stephenson spent describing piss sloshing about in a pot. From Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson:

"Clarke backed out his side-door embracing a brimming chamber-pot.

"Save it up," Enoch said, his voice croaky from not having been used in a day or two, " you can extract much that's interesting from urine."

The apothecary startled, and upon recognizing Enoch he nearly dropped the pot, then caught it, then wished he had dropped it, sinc ethese evolutions had set up a complex and dangerous sloshing that must be contervailed by gliding about in a bent-knee gait, melting foot-shaped holes in the frost on the grass, and, as a lost resort, tilting the ot when whitecaps were observed. The roosters of Grantham, Lincolshire, who had slept through Enoch's arrival, came awake and began to celebrate Clarke's performance."

From the film Gladiator.

There's just so many.

Cicero: Sometimes I do what I want to do, the rest of the time I do what I have to.

Marcus Aurelius: And what is Rome, Maximus?

Maximus: I've seen much of the rest of the world, it is brutal and cruel and dark. Rome is the light.

Marcus Aurelius: Yet you have never been there, you have not seen what it has become. I am dying, Maximus. When a man sees his end, he wants to know there was some purpose to his life. How will the world speak my name in the years to come? Will I be known as the philosopher, the warrior, the tyrant...? Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self? There was once a dream that was Rome, you could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile, and I fear it will not survive the winter.

Quintus: People should know when they are conquered...

Gracchus: I think he knows what Rome is, Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate, it is the sand of the Coliseum. He will bring them death, and they will love him for it.

Maximus: Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be and it will be so. Hold the line! Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled! For you are in Elysium, and you are already dead!

Lucilla: Is Rome worth one good man's life? We believed it once, make us believe it again. He was a soldier of Rome. Honour him.

Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad. Hiro used to feel that way, too, but then he ran into Raven.

In a way, this is liberating. He no longer has to worry about trying to be the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is taken.

- Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash.

I am just reading Snow Crash and this one jumped out at me too.

Archived