Who are the 10 best swordsmen in the series?

Dimnara

Peter,

Jorah fights only one of the Dothraki bloodriders, Qotho. Jorah is tough and isn't easy prey for anyone, so to speak, but Qotho had him dead to rights -- he would have died several times over if he hadn't had his armor, and it was only the mischance of Qotho's arakh getting stuck in Jorah's thigh that led to Jorah's victory.

He's a capable, tough, experienced fighter. Not a great swordsman though, I expect.

That's what I thought. I'd rate Dany's bloodriders higher than Jorah, tbh. Most likely Daario aswell, and the Titan's Bastard.

Peter,

Jorah fights only one of the Dothraki bloodriders, Qotho. Jorah is tough and isn't easy prey for anyone, so to speak, but Qotho had him dead to rights -- he would have died several times over if he hadn't had his armor, and it was only the mischance of Qotho's arakh getting stuck in Jorah's thigh that led to Jorah's victory.

He's a capable, tough, experienced fighter. Not a great swordsman though, I expect.

ah yes, this sounds right. I've only listened to the audio book and this whole scene is really fast paced. You can hear that even Dotrice is excited about whats going on as hes reading. I never rewind cause the stuff happening is so critical to Dany's pov.

Hello, I've lurked a bit here but had to post because this subject interests me. I think Strong Belwas should get a little more love. Strong Belwas is a tremendous fighter who has spent most of his life fighting 1 vs. 1 to the death in slaver pits. He is so successful that the only wound he takes each fight he allows so he can keep track of how many kills he has. He is certainly an elite combatant which is demonstrated by Illyrio Mopatis sending him with Barristan to protect Dany. He destroyed the Mereenese champion who fought him at mounted advantage. In single combat I think the only character I think who have a chance against him are Gregor, Drogo, and a two handed Jaime. Two words: Liver and onions.

Hello, I've lurked a bit here but had to post because this subject interests me. I think Strong Belwas should get a little more love. Strong Belwas is a tremendous fighter who has spent most of his life fighting 1 vs. 1 to the death in slaver pits. He is so successful that the only wound he takes each fight he allows so he can keep track of how many kills he has. He is certainly an elite combatant which is demonstrated by Illyrio Mopatis sending him with Barristan to protect Dany. He destroyed the Mereenese champion who fought him at mounted advantage. In single combat I think the only character I think who have a chance against him are Gregor, Drogo, and a two handed Jaime. Two words: Liver and onions.

Strong Belwas was my close second. From what we know, not from stories or presumptions, he is a fantastic and probably undefeated fighter. The only thing that made me pick Syrio over him, is that we don’t know how much experience he has fighting highly trained and skilled swordsmen. No doubt he defeated slaves, bears, and lions in the arena, probably many great warriors as well. He’s probably already fought, or at least seen someone fight against a mounted challenger as well. Its hard to say however, if he’s come across anyone as skilled as a First Sword of Bravos before. Against someone as fast and skilled as Syrio, it would be an amazing fight to see indeed. Honestly though, I'm just defending my choice, this one could easily go either way.

Actually he never said that. In fact, he said he might be able to kill him. And Bronn never over-estimates himself.

Just to add, Cersei apparently thought that Bronn was a threat to beat Gregor. She made him a true knight and arranged his marriage to a high-born chic (Lollys) to prevent him from defending Tyrion.

Interesting....Drogo and not the Hound, Garlan, Barristan, Bronn, etc?

I think his letting people cut him thing would hurt him against people like Bronn and the Hound who don't fight for show, as well as the Red Vipe who uses poison.

Interesting....Drogo and not the Hound, Garlan, Barristan, Bronn, etc?

I think his letting people cut him thing would hurt him against people like Bronn and the Hound who don't fight for show, as well as the Red Vipe who uses poison.

I don't think it would, except the Viper. Bronn doesn't use a greatsword, but the Hound might be another story.

I can't put an order on this, but:

Syrio

Bronn

Jamie

Sandor

Barristan

Garlan

Brienne

Syrio is clearly an incredibly good swordsman. Using a wooden sword while unarmoured to defeat several mailed and helmeted opponents is beyond no mean feat- it would be legendary today as well. We don't see enough of him to know, but I believe him to be easily in the Top 3 (also evidenced by the fact that the Bravos are well regarded as mighty swordsmen, Ned says as much for hiring Syrio, and Syrio was THEIR best.) Also, they picked him to teach Arya, who is clearly being set up for taking a level or five in badass, as TV Tropes would put it.

The others make themselves fairly self explanatory. Barristan was probably the best fifty years ago. Except for the other Kingsguard, as I am sure Dayne would have ripped him to pieces. Sandor is fearless except when faced with fire, which definitely helps. Brienne isn't as good as Jaime, but she slaughters most people. Jaime is in the top three back when he had two hands himself.

Gregor is huge and a good warrior, but probably not the most amazing swordsman, or he would've had an even easier time with all his opponents. His raw physical prowess is what makes him so INSANELY good. He could be the 20th best *swordsmen* and still butcher 1-19 simply because a sword is not good for punching through ultra heavy plate, and because his reach makes it easier to land a blow on them- and ONE landed blow from someone who probably uses a claymore as a child's toy would cut you to pieces. Like a falchion, HIS weapon would have no trouble with their platemail.

I'm undecided on who the other three could be, to be honest. There's lots of candidates.

I'd say

1. Bran without working legs

2. Sansa Stark

3. Maester Aemon

4. Myrcella Baratheon

5. Robert Arryn

6. Jaime without a hand

7. Lysa Arryn

8. Hot Pie

9. Tyrion(not Tyrion lannister but Bronn's son Tyrion)

10. Magister Illyrio

I disagree with Magister Illyrio on your list, i think Old Nan was a WAY better fighter than him and she should have the 10th spot.

my opinion on the top 10 fighters(swordsman, spearman, axeman, whatever) based on skill not how good your armor is.

1. Syrio Forel

2. Strong Belwas

3. Ser Jaime Lannister(with 2 hands)

4. Ser Garlan Tyrell

5. Ser Barristian the Bold

6. Sandor Clegane

7. Howland Reed

8. Qhorin Halfhand

9. The Red Viper

10. Jon Snow

Someone who agrees with me about Syrio! I dunno about the Red Viper with the sword, since the Dornish (particularly him prefer spears.) And I personally wouldn't put Jon Snow up- but I really should add Qhorin to the list! :)

But, yes. Much love for Syrio. Anyone who can handle six armed and armoured men with a wooden sword, but lose ONLY because the last one is in plate--- deserves that honour.

my opinion on the top 10 fighters(swordsman, spearman, axeman, whatever) based on skill not how good your armor is.

1. Syrio Forel

2. Strong Belwas

3. Ser Jaime Lannister(with 2 hands)

4. Ser Garlan Tyrell

5. Ser Barristian the Bold

6. Sandor Clegane

7. Howland Reed

8. Qhorin Halfhand

9. The Red Viper

10. Jon Snow

Basis for Howland Reed????

Can't agree with that. While I might stretch a point, and put Syrio as no. 1, we have no evidence that he's not...we know he's very good but we never see him fight another good person, and because he's not Westerosi, it is possible.

But Belwas as 2? Garlan ahead of the Hound? Jon Snow ahead of Bronn, Brienne, Gregor, Victarion, Hotah, Balon Swann, Mandon Moore, Darkstar, Arys, Andrik the Unsmiling, Loras? Not a chance for me.

And there is no evidence that Howland Reed is one of the best fighters around.

• 11 months later...

I already post this before but my ranks are:

1) Arthur Dayne

2) Barristan Selmy

3) Syrio Forel

4) Sandor Clegane

5) Eddard Stark (after the fight with Arthur Dayne, he has to "level up" so to speak, and since fighting and surviving the Sword of the Morning makes him deserving of the rank) - Jaime Lannister (two hands, [i'm gonna have a tirade with this] but I believe he's in par with Ned, imho)

6) Bronn

7) Gregor Clegane

8) Robert Baratheon (in his youth)

9) Gerold Hightower

10) Garlan Tyrell

1. Barristan Selmy in his prime. We've seen him crush excellent fighters and he's sixty freaking three years old.

2. Jaime Lannister with both his hands. Not just Jaime himself but numerous characters have mentioned that he was one of the best.

3. The Hound. Beat a fire wielding Dondarrion, fought off two of the mountain's men at once, drawed with the Mountain, etc.

4. The Mountain. He might not actually have as much skill as the others, but his strength is ridiculous.

5. Syrio Forel. Wooden sword>4 guys at once. He'd be higher if we got to see him with metal.

6. Garlan the Gallant. Killed Sir Guyard Moriggen and a dozen other famous knights. Loras admits Garlan is better than him.

7. Strong Belwas. Not many a people can beat a mounted lancer with just a sword.

8. Qhorin Halfhand. His exploits are enough, and it was pretty obvious he could have killed Jon if he intended too.

9. Thoros of Myr. Won the melee at King's Landing. Thats got to count for something.

10. Bronn: Showed good skill, but I'm assuming Vardis Egen was not the cream of the crop.

I feel like I'm missing someone important.

Shoutouts:

Arthur Dayne: Supposedely better than everybody on this list by a longshot, but he's dead. (And he died because he was outnumbered in said fight)

Brienne: Showing signs of brillance, but also barely beating moderately good swordsmen.

Oberyn Martell: Not actually a swordsmen per say, but he beat the Mountain with a spear. A SPEAR. Too bad he made a terrible mistake right afterwords =(

Waymar Royce: For you know, kind of holding off an Other.

Areo Hotah: Obviously very good, but he's an "axeman"

Strongboar, Greatjon, Blackfish, Darkstar, Andrik the Unsmiling, Lyn Corbray etc: Supposedely all very good, but we haven't seen them fight.

1. Ser Jamie (with both hands)

2. Syrio Forel

3. Qhorin Halfhand (not much to go on with this one, besides for small evidence that he was much better than he showed in his fight with Snow, but I get the feeling he was a genuine BMF)

4. The Hound

5. Bronn

6. Mance

7. Ser Barristan

8. Ser Loras

9. Jon Snow

10. Brieene Maid of Tarth

As others have mentioned, there's a lot of characters who didn't use a sword who were just as dangerous nonetheless - Oberyn Martell for one. Also, those like Ned we really didn't have anything to go on. Well other than Ned having survived Arthur Dayne, but there's other things to consider there.

On the subject of Howland Reed, Ned mentions that Arthur Dayne would probably have killed him if it weren't for Reed. Since we don't know the circumstances, it can't really be determined that Reed defeated Dayne through skill, but that is one possibility.

As for the Top 10:

-Ser Barristan Selmy

-Ser Jaime Lannister

-Syrio Forel

-Ser Garlan Tyrell

-Sandor Clegane

-Khal Drogo

-Ser Loras Tyrell

-Mance Rayder

-Ser Bronn

-Qorin Halfhand

Barristan Selmy

Jaime Lannister

Syrio Forel

Gregor Clegane

Sandor Clegane

Quorin Halfhand... we see how hard it is to learn how to fight with your off hand, makes him a legend.

Garlan Tyrell

UPSET PICKS FOR 8 9 AND 10

Lord Jason Mallister apparently cut down a ton of great knights on the Trident and also killed Rodrik Greyjoy.

Mance Rayder has to be an absolute badass to control all the wildlings and also made Jon Snow look like a fool. Snow is a competent swordsman so whoever can beat him that easily has to be pretty damn good.

Ser Jorah also is a certified badass and fought for a while as a sellsword. Might not have many high profile kills but I give him the nod over a few others.

Apologies to Loras, Brienne, Mandon Moore, and Darkstar who despite his corny lines and failure to kill Myrcella has been called "the most dangerous man in Dorne" by Doran himself.

I am super curious to see Baelor Hightower, apparently he is a hell of a knight according to the reference I read in ASOS. Also I stuck with the swords only theme, Victarion, Red Viper and maybe a few others bump these guys off the list. I might have put Robert Baratheon #1 if any weapons were allowed.

Archived