Spoilers at GRRM appearances?

Alisha

Hi guys! First time poster, but I’ve lurked here and around WiC.net for about a year and a half now. Don’t know how I’d get my fix with out you guys. I also figured this would be the best place for my question.

My boyfriend wants to take me to the Days of Ice and Fire event next weekend where GRRM will be making an appearance. I’m completely excited for it. I’ve been through the series a few times and this is the first opportunity I’ve had to get a book signed. Not so much into the gaming that’ll be going on though. Unfortunately, my bf is still very new to the series. By next weekend, he’ll probably just finish up Clash of Kings. (He still thinks he’ll be able to push through Storm of Swords too, but I don’t think it’s possible. Just not enough hours in the day.) I’ve never been to an event like this before so I’m not sure what kind of spoilers we’re likely to encounter. I really don’t want to ruin things for him. What do you guys think? How likely are we to come across a question like: “So. Now that such-and-such is dead at the hands of that one guy, how are you going to handle bla bla bla.....?”

Completely jealous of the folks who made it to the Belfast moot. But this will be good too!

Hi Alisha. :) I'd say 'welcome', but if you've been lurking this long, maybe I'd better say 'glad to see you posting'. ;)

Not sure what's planned for the 'Days' event exactly, but I have to say it's very likely that on any occasion when GRRM is doing a Q&A there are going to be spoilers at least for all of the published material. It's less likely there would be any for ADWD or future books. The only spoilers for that material tend to be if GRRM is doing a reading.

Oh, I know it. Total shame on me. And unfortunately, I have a new job now where they want me to actually work (ha!) and not just stalk around message boards all day. :D

Yeah, I was pretty sure a certain wedding would come up. My book is sitting at home, but I’m thinking it’s most of the way through SoS. Damn. Perhaps our next date night needs to be at the bookstore. He says he’s okay with spoilers but then again... he doesn’t know what’s being spoiled! Perhaps I’ll make a sign for him to wear just in case. ;)

Honest to god, he asked me if I wanted to go to the event only a week ago. He was just barely done with GoT. I told him I’d love to but that too many things would be spoiled for him. He said “I think I can get through SoS at least.” In my opinion, not a whole lot happens in Feast worth spoiling, so I was okay with that. The major events that do happen you can pretty much see coming, I think. ~2,000 pages to read in two weeks plus two jobs is a little ambitious but he thought he could listen to 12-14 hours of the audio book per day. Heh. We’ll see what happens. If anyone is at the event and you see some woman sitting in back with her hands clamped over some guys ears... don’t worry. It’s just me. ;)

.. ~2,000 pages to read in two weeks plus two jobs is a little ambitious ...

weeeeell it is a trifle ambitious :D But if he is one of those ppl (like me) who after taking a fancy to a book will not let it down then he has a chance. I bought a Blackberry so that I can read ebooks on the bus / tram on my way to work/college and it really helps pass the time. I usually have to take two trams and a bus to get to my college but that hour just flys when u read e.g. GoT. Maybe an iPad is in order for Christmas? :)

As for taking him to see GRRM a tag saying "Westeros virgin"is definitely in order :D

Archived