Videogames

Nakkie

The only thing Metro and Stalker have in common is setting. One is a scripted corridor crawl, one is not. Neither really did anything for me, sadly.

Not even setting. They both have radiation though, and the Metro 2033 engine is based on STALKER's X-Ray.

ETA - plus consoles are comfortable and familiar. PC's may be better at it now, but 20-25 years ago... Compare an NES to a 1987 PC, and there's no contest. So growing up on consoles, I've had no qualms about staying with them. There's something that just feels "right" about them.

For me, a lot of the comfort is in the environment. When I play the 360 I'm sprawled out on the sofa in front of 42 inch TV. When I play on the PC I'm hunched over my desk.

Which isn't to say I don't like using the PC for games, but both things can be enjoyed in pretty different ways.

For me, a lot of the comfort is in the environment. When I play the 360 I'm sprawled out on the sofa in front of 42 inch TV. When I play on the PC I'm hunched over my desk.

Naturally. I enjoy a similar environment. But there is still that argument that you can hook up your PC to the TV. Of course, then you'd have to put the mouse and keyboard somewhere - probably the coffee table, so you still end up hunched over, just on the couch instead. So I guess your ass would be comfortable anyway.

It also doesn't help that to save space I use a laptop. And they're just shit for games. The touch pad holds up well enough for other applications, but it can't replace a mouse for games (I still prefer a controller).

Which isn't to say I don't like using the PC for games, but both things can be enjoyed in pretty different ways.

My PC is plugged into my (not especially large) TV, AND two monitors. Ah, the benefits of two DVI and one HDMI output.

You could hook up an Xbox 360 controller to your PC to play your games with. No worrying about keyboard and mouse in the couch :)

That's one thing the 360 has over anything else, including other consoles: the best general-purpose controller ever designed.

Except for that fucking dpad!

Pretty much. Mainly as a PC gamer (I own a 360 but I haven't used it in years) I still like the 360 pad since it's great for many 3rd person games, such as Assassin's Creed and Prototype.

Except for that fucking dpad.

Speaking of console controllers, I don't get why Sony doesn't move the left analog stick into the primary position, where the D pad is currently. Its like they're still wedded to the design of the dual analog controller they rolled out for the ps1.

Speaking of console controllers, I don't get why Sony doesn't move the left analog stick into the primary position, where the D pad is currently. Its like they're still wedded to the design of the dual analog controller they rolled out for the ps1.

Because it's their pad, and many people prefer the PlayStation controller. You have to have a unique design, after all.

I just bought Call of Duty 4 for 15 pounds for the PC. Is it any good on the PC? I bought it on a whim, and i wonder if anyone actually plays the online of Call of Duty 4 these days.

I just bought Call of Duty 4 for 15 pounds for the PC. Is it any good on the PC? I bought it on a whim, and i wonder if anyone actually plays the online of Call of Duty 4 these days.

Many people defected back to CoD 4 after the MW2 PC version fiasco, I think you'll be finding that a fair amount of people stuck to the game and still play it. That is, if you don't get the horrid Punkbuster bugs that I do resulting in me getting kicked every five minutes due to packet loss

As soon as i tried to open the Multiplayer on my computer after trying single player to get the hang of the PC controls, it gave me a message saying ''IW3MP.exe has stopped working'' and closed down.

Anyone even know what that means?

As soon as i tried to open the Multiplayer on my computer after trying single player to get the hang of the PC controls, it gave me a message saying ''IW3MP.exe has stopped working'' and closed down.

Anyone even know what that means?

It just means it crashed. Have you updated the game to the latest version?

It just means it crashed. Have you updated the game to the latest version?

No idea, and even less idea how to check.

Edit : And also, it gives me the message about a second after it opens, so no idea how i could update it even if i knew how.

I played CoD4 for a very long time and I think it's the best Call of Duty game they've made to date, but these days I'm all about Battlefield: Bad Company 2 instead.

Updating it depends on which way you got it. If you got it through Steam then there's no way to update it manually, it should already be the latest version. If you didn't get it through Steam you would have to search for the patches yourself. Going to Infinity Ward's webpage is a good bet. IIRC there are four patches; 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 that need to be applied in sequence.

I played CoD4 for a very long time and I think it's the best Call of Duty game they've made to date, but these days I'm all about Battlefield: Bad Company 2 instead.

Updating it depends on which way you got it. If you got it through Steam then there's no way to update it manually, it should already be the latest version. If you didn't get it through Steam you would have to search for the patches yourself. Going to Infinity Ward's webpage is a good bet. IIRC there are four patches; 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 that need to be applied in sequence.

That sucks - i bought a physical copy....

Edit : Tried Infinity Wards webpage, and all i can find is stuff about Modern Warfare 2 and choices to download its map packs.

Because it's their pad, and many people prefer the PlayStation controller. You have to have a unique design, after all.

Basically that.

I've used the Playstation design since time immemorial (okay the 90s). I like it. My muscle memory is used to it. Anytime I see a giant flashing X or triangle pop up on the screen, I press it before I even consciously think. Bottom line, I prefer it the way it is.

I've recently played through DA: O in a mostly vanilla state (some bugfixing mods). I'm thinking of doing a second playthrough, and I'm wondering which of the dlc's are worth getting, especially the 'new item' ones. I'm afraid some of them will either sit uselessly in my inventory, get sold, or are so awesome that they make the game too easy (like that 'the edge' dlc - that's a dagger that can carry on for most of the game!).

Are there any item dlcs (I'll probably get most of the campaign ones anyway, I'm a sucker for content) that should be avoided/recommended and why, without unbalancing the game too much?

I've recently played through DA: O in a mostly vanilla state (some bugfixing mods). I'm thinking of doing a second playthrough, and I'm wondering which of the dlc's are worth getting, especially the 'new item' ones. I'm afraid some of them will either sit uselessly in my inventory, get sold, or are so awesome that they make the game too easy (like that 'the edge' dlc - that's a dagger that can carry on for most of the game!).

Are there any item dlcs (I'll probably get most of the campaign ones anyway, I'm a sucker for content) that should be avoided/recommended and why, without unbalancing the game too much?

It's been a couple months since I touched DA:O and I haven't completed it yet, but Return to Ostagar has Duncan's sword and dagger, which are both incredibly useful against Darkspawn, especially when you have the runes (silverite?) to increase damage against them.

EDIT: Okay, started up DA:O and checked what I have.

Return to Ostagar adds Duncan's weapons, a set of massive / heavy armor that used to be Cailan's I believe, and King Maric's shield. The armor and shield are pretty useful, and Duncan's sword is incredibly useful throughout the game (I don't actually use any other weapon, and I've completed most loyalty quests, the Mages tower and I'm currently at the Deep Roads). You also get to bury Cailan and get some revenge. Overall I think this one is pretty essential for the plot.

Stone Prisoner adds a new party member, so it's pretty essential. Short and easy puzzle and one interesting conversation. Depends on if you think the new party member is worth the price. Play during the campaign.

Warden's Keep consist of a decent low-level armor set, a slightly cheaper trader, two free blood spells and a storage chest. A storage chest you can get through mods, however. Not really worth it I think, at least I don't use my blood spell much as a warrior. Play during the campaign.

Feastday Gifts & Pranks allow you to play around with the approval system, and easily max approval for all characters. That's it.

Darkspawn Chronicles is not worth it, in my opinion. Short campaign and I think one item transfer over to the main game. Play after the campaign, preferably.

Leliana's Song is kinda funny, since at the start Leliana is ready to murder orphans for their bread, which is a total 180 compared to what she is like in DA:O, even when "hardened". Since I'm a Leliana fan I found it okay, but otherwise it only gives you a few items over to the main game so if you're not a fan of the character, pass. Play before the campaign.

Golems of Amgarrak is very challenging, and if you're looking for a somewhat long (for DLC) campaign with a couple insanely difficult bosses for high-level characters, this is your pick. I say get it, it extends the lifetime of the game. Play AFTER the campaign (no seriously, unless you have completed the game you'll just tear your hair out in frustration).

Witch Hunt is about Morrigan after the events of the main game, and where she went. If you like the character I'd recommend it, but personally I found it a bit dull. Play it after the campaign.

Awakening I haven't played yet, but I hear it's very mediocre.

About the promotional and exclusive DLC:

Blood Dragon Armor: Bloody useful. (Warrior)

Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes: Useful. (All classes)

Bergen's Honor: Useful early on. (Warrior)

Final Reason: Highest spellpower in the game. (Mage)

The Lucky Stone: Useful in the beginning. (All classes)

Embri's Many Pockets: Useless.

Amulet of the War Mage: Useless.

Helm of the Deep: Best helm in the first few hours, then discardable for Bergen's Honor. (Warrior)

Mark of Vigilance: It's okay, I suppose. (Fits Mages best)

Memory Band: Shit.

Lion's Paw: Okay for tanks. (Warrior and Rogue)

Feral Wolf Charm: Useless.

The Wicked Oath: Rogue stuff, mediocre. (Rogue)

Band of Fire: Shit.

Dalish Promise Ring: Decent. (All classes)

Guildmaster's Belt: Decent. (All classes)

The Edge: Useful throughout the game, but you already knew that.

Bulwark of the True King: It's pretty and it's useful till mid-game. (Warrior)

Pearl of the Anointed: Decent starter item. (All classes)

Bregan's Bow: Decent till mid-game.

It's been a couple months since I touched DA:O and I haven't completed it yet, but Return to Ostagar has Duncan's sword and dagger, which are both incredibly useful against Darkspawn, especially when you have the runes (silverite?) to increase damage against them.

Not really what I meant. I'll almost certainly be getting RtO, warden's keep and stone prisoner, as well as those campaigns, depending on reviews (leliana's song, witch hunt etc.).

My question is whether I should bother with any of the other dlc, like dragon armor, the lucky stone, amulet of the war mage etc.

Archived