[No Spoilers] Opening credits

Kat

I thought it was cool when it showed the rings: the dragon was assulting a city, then all the heraldic symbols were attacking the dragon, and at the end they were all bowing down to the stag. a neat way to show some history of westeros with the landing of the targs, roberts rebellion, and then robert being crowned.

I loved the opening montage, not only because of the visually fascinating and original CG-animation, but also because of the beautiful opening theme (by Ramin Djawadi, who also did the score for IRON MAN and CLASH OF THE TITANS).

Opening credits tend to be rather boring, but this is one of the best opening credit montages I've ever seen in a TV show. The cool thing is that the CG-elements are rendered in such a way that they appear physical, thanks to nice digital lighting setups and 'physical' CG camerawork (extreme closeups and effective use of DOF). Angus Wall deserves an Emmy for this work.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, I haven't been able to follow the episodes, due to not having HBO, but I was wondering, have there been any changes to the opening theme yet? If so, what are they?

The Art of The Title Sequence has posted an interesting interview with Creative Director Angus Wall of Elastic (who did the opening title sequence for GoT):

Angus Wall interview

Quote:

Angus Wall: One thing that was really important was to make it feel like it was a physical thing and not to use CG as a kind of “magic camera.” I thought about it in terms of shooting practically with a motion controlled camera. I think you’d have to shoot everything with motion control due to the narrow depth of field and size of the camera moves, but the whole idea was to make it feel real. Early on, we did a test render of the Red Keep, which is the main structure at King's Landing. We placed the fully rendered model on a CG board skinned with a sample of beautifully damaged plywood, and showed it to the executives. Somebody said, "We didn't know that you guys had a workshop." And at that point we knew we were on to something... that the artists working on the sequence had really started making something extraordinary.

I didn't look very carefully during the episode 3 intro, but the episode 4 one has the corrected house sigils for the cast.

That's funny, because I didn't notice till episode 4, either. But yes, the second title sequence fixed everything, so everyone's had the correct sigils since episode 2.

The Art of The Title Sequence has posted an interesting interview with Creative Director Angus Wall of Elastic (who did the opening title sequence for GoT):

Angus Wall interview

Quote:

Fantastic link, thank you. Plenty of high res sketches, pictures and concept art for the intro sequence.

Archived