Football/Soccer XVIII: A Game Of Throw-Ins

mormont

Birmingham now in deep trouble. Question is whether Adam and Blackpool can hold on against Utd.

ETA: And Blackpool score just as I post!

ETA: Blackpool couldn't hold on after all. Now Wolves are deep in the mire.

ETA: This is a crazy day. Wolves score!

maybe not the best time to be adding to a football discussion,considering the fact that my team (liverpool) have just come off two losses, (after an amazing 'half season', a run of 3-0, 5-0 wins) and gift wrapped 5th place, and europe, to spurs :(

but the title caught my attention :D

i'd like to add to the comments in the earlier part of the thread, regarding foreign 'defensive' teams;

i think the english (british) premiership is the best league in the world. the way british teams play is completely different from everyone else.

foreign managers, jose mourinho, pep guardiola, for example, and their teams, may well have what are considered the best players in the world, and the managers may well be technically brilliant tacticians, but all of that can be beaten (in any single match) by pure and simple dedication, passion, confidence, and the determination to win.

i watched the real madrid v barca semi's (think it was 2nd leg), and the first half of the match, all i could think, was 'man united' will slaughter either of these teams! (and trust me, as a liverpool fan, saying that leaves a bad taste in my mouth lol)

no matter what anyone says or thinks about man united, they play with passion, a desire to win every match, and i do believe, that if barca try and play 'pass the ball' so deep in their own half, being cautious, waiting for the right time to attack, man-u will run them down and steal the game.

look at blackpool, early season. newly promoted, full of confidence, belief, and the desire to win.. and they did just that,producing results no one could believe, hull did the same the season before when newly promoted. neither side had 'world class' players (and yes, i know hull went down eventually,lol, and blackpool now, but without the money, foreign managers, and big name players, they still achieved amazing results)

man city, tactical manager, world class players, but inconsistent results. single moments of genius from the 11 amazing players, but lacking in a combined brilliant performance from 'the team' as a whole..

you can buy brilliant players, but you have to 'build' a brilliant team.

two examples from liverpool.

champions league 2005. we were the weaker team by far, and ac milan ran all over us for 45 mins. but we pulled it back with sheer determination, desire and belief (and maybe the threat of concrete boots and the mersey river lol)

and this season, terrible start, poor attitudes, terrible performances. then kenny takes over, same players (pretty much) but a change in attitude, confidence, and belief, and dis-regarding the last two matches, lol, a complete turn around!

man united have managed to get the right combination of world class players, but keep that british passion and desire, the sense of 'team', not just 'big names' and what they have achieved speaks for itself.

and i'm hoping the same will return to liverpool now that ownership is sorted out, we have a little money, and we have a manager who sees the importance of 'team' and 'attitude' and wants to win every match, not just park the bus and hold out for a draw til the second leg.

i do love watching the skill of the likes of messi, and the 'highlights' of 'la liga' or 'serie A' but a full 90 mins match is often 10 mins of brilliance resulting in 5 goals, and then 80 mins of perfect 'no pressure' passes lol.

i'd much rather watch a scrappy 90 mins from our own league (or spl) where both teams at least look like they want to win, and fight from start to finish.

would you be happy to swap your current manager for mourinho?

(i wouldn't)

Archived