Football/Soccer XVIII: A Game Of Throw-Ins

mormont

None of those have demanded the right to host the World Cup based on some kind of entitlement.

No they just bribed the right FIFA officials, and you don't think Brazil hosting the next World Cup has anything to do with their history in the game?

No they just bribed the right FIFA officials, and you don't think Brazil hosting the next World Cup has anything to do with their history in the game?

You're right, the only reason England lost the bid was that they didn't spend enough money on bribery! Get over yourself!

You're right, the only reason England lost the bid was that they didn't spend enough money on bribery! Get over yourself!

:lol: No I just don't think there's anything wrong with the argument that footballing tradition as well as being one of major hubs of the sport merit consideration when looking at world cup bids.

So ... two days until Survival Sunday in the Premier League. At the moment, the bottom looks like this:

15. Blackburn .... 40pts

16. Wolves ....... 40pts

17. Birmingham ... 39pts

------------------------

18. Blackpool .... 39pts

19. Wigan ........ 39pts

20. West Ham ..... 33pts

Wolves v Blackburn; Spurs v Birmingham; Man Utd v Blackpool; Stoke v Wigan are the fixtures.

I've got a horrible feeling Blackpool and Wigan are going to go down as I just can't see them winning their games. 'Pool have to hope Man Utd have one eye on the CL final to stand a chance, while Wigan must hope Stoke are still hungover from the FA Cup final last weekend. Birmingham have to snap out of their post-Carling Cup stupor and get something from their match to make sure. I think Wolves will beat Blackburn to ensure their survival. I really hope it's Blackburn and Birmingham that go down (not that I dislike Birmingham - I just like the others more).

What are everyone else's predictions? It should be a hell of a day on Sunday regardless!

Wolves and Blackburn. Wolves because they've always irked me for some reason and I dislike them even more with Mick McCarthy, Blackburn because of the owners and because they joined in playing for a draw with us last weekend, despite not actually being safe.

Pool have to hope Man Utd have one eye on the CL final to stand a chance

Fergie has given us some hints on the lineup we'll see!

“On Sunday we’ll do our fairest to make sure there’s no criticism of the club. There are players who need a game anyway. Darren Fletcher, Paul Scholes and Anderson will all play. Berbatov, Evra, van der Sar as well. They’ll all play – that’s certain.”

So what do people think of Eden Hazard round these here parts? Looks like the tug-of-war over his future is about to get serious, Liverpool asking Lille to appraise them of all developments seems to have cemented that he's leaving, with him making it pretty clear that he's looking to go to a 'big club' there seems to be a sharpening of interest. Though with Lille about to win the league he may yet stay, it does look like he's off.

I think he's going to be brilliant myself, a potential best player in the world. The closest there is atm to a prime Ronaldinho.

I've got a horrible feeling Blackpool and Wigan are going to go down as I just can't see them winning their games. 'Pool have to hope Man Utd have one eye on the CL final to stand a chance, while Wigan must hope Stoke are still hungover from the FA Cup final last weekend. Birmingham have to snap out of their post-Carling Cup stupor and get something from their match to make sure. I think Wolves will beat Blackburn to ensure their survival. I really hope it's Blackburn and Birmingham that go down (not that I dislike Birmingham - I just like the others more).

I can definitely see Blackpool losing by less than Birmingham lose by - B'pool have shown a lot more drive in their last few games than B'ham - and thereby finishing above them. It's a chance at least. Wigan winning is a distinct possibility. Don't like to predict Wolves-B'burn.

My heart says Birmingham and Blackburn to go down (I have nothing against Birmingham except that they've stopped playing recently and it's bloody boring to watch. I grew up near Blackburn and have rather more against them); my head says Wigan and...probably Birmingham again, maybe Blackpool.

So what do people think of Eden Hazard round these here parts?

I've only seen a few times in European competition, and it's clear to see the player has great potential. It'll be interesting to seeing how much wrangling goes on over price of the transfer. Is he a 20-30 million player? I haven't seen enough to decide.

As for the relegation battle, I'm hoping Blackpool and Wigan stay up, but I think only one of them might get a result.

Wolves will stay up. They've been on good form on late and Steven Fletcher has started scoring consistently/McCarthy is actually playing him. I have a sneaky feeling that Birmingham might beat an erratic Spurs with Kevin Phillips popping up with a goal.

Just saw some of the highlights of the Celtic-Motherwell game and I can't understand how there weren't two red cards in the first half. The Celtic No.5 and one of the Motherwell players threw themselves into challenges, studs first and feet off the ground. The Celtic guy actually smacked his opponent right in the centre of the shin. Some nasty stuff.

The Ki goal was pretty special though.

Some nasty stuff

Some the challenges indeed were reckless, but it was a miserable day weather wise. Players were sliding all over the place and thrown-ins (thankfully seldom) were even difficult. Very wet.

I was glad the ref didn't send anyone off.

Interesting match last night between NYRB and Houston. First Red Bulls get their fastest goal in team history (49 seconds), then get the crucial equalizer somewhere past the 90th minute. In between there were penalties, a handball that the ref missed, and a narrowly avoided OG.

Archived