Why Jaime deserves to die (Storm Of Swords Spoilers)

Elrick

This all sounds like much splitting of hairs to me - people seem to be trying for THE correct reading of Jaimie and Brienne, and the Sansa aggenda.

Now, I may be misjudging what Alleuia is saying, but...I totally understand and accept that Jaimie can say "Sansa", and not actually care about her as person, but be sincere in wanting her "saved". By Brienne. And that, for him, Brienne is by far the more important of teh two who might benefit from his choice.

I mean, trying to put myself in his head, what he's seen in Brienne is a mule stubborn woman who refuses to let others subvert her from what she knows is right and dutiful. Emotionally, Brienne cares what others think of her, rationally, she refuses to let that judgement turn her from her course.

After Aerys, Jaimie gave up on trying to be honourable, because nobody thought he was, or could be. Here's my speculation - Jaimie has realized it doesn't matter what people think of his actions, he alone has to live with the guilt or shame his actions bring him; at the same time, it doesn't matter if the public thinks he was dishonourable in killing his king...he knows it was the only thing to do at that point.

I guess I'm trying to say that I think that Jaimie has realized image is nothing, and to get a bit dramatic, Brienne has become his honour, in a way.

Lady Blackfish - I disagree with the idea that Jaimie can't "come back" from what tossing Bran made him. Why not? The world is full of people who have repented or turned their backs on being that kind of person, or simply realized they hate who they are, and have changed for the better.

Lady Blackfish - I disagree with the idea that Jaimie can't "come back" from what tossing Bran made him. Why not?

I only raised the question (or rather, I only said that I think the story raises the question), I didn't provide an answer with much conviction in either direction. I would find it a fair enough position if Martin answered said question with "No", though.

Archived