How good are the unsullied?

Talleyrand

A good commander is going to make excellent use of a force that is utterly obedient and completely disclipined and the Unsullied's lack of armor is on Dany, the slavers tell her they'll wear any armor provided for them. One of her first priorities should have been making sure her troops had as much armor as they could scavenge or buy.

• 1 month later...

Personally I think Gregor Clegane would cut swathes through them like Druss the Legend unleashing Snaga amongst the Nadir. For those who understand what I just said, I reckon these "boys" would not last two minutes against men like the Hound, Arthur Dayne, the Greatjon or Victarion Greyjoy.

But then, this is Martin's world, so if he wants them to be unbeatable, he will MAKE them unbeatable.

There arent enough of these men, they are the few great ones. The Hound probably could cut down 50+ unsullied between wine breaks

if they are based on the spartans then as a group they are and must be badass even alexander the great or his father went to war with sparta. Still they have their weakness fight them guerrilla warfare and they lose.

And handed them their asses, just like Thebens Holy (translation unknown) some years before. And the Macedonian phalanx got steamrolled by the Roman manipel, who got replaced by the cohorts,... evolution is a bitch. If the Unsullied are spartan-like, they are two millennia behind Westeros and won't stand a chance.

Not necessarily. The bulk of RtL's army would almost certainly would have consisted of less disciplined infantry, who would have been poorly equipped and trained, and would have stood no chance against the Romans, the longbow not having come into widespread use until the 13th century, while RtL lived in the 12th. Admittedly, the Roman army was never trained or designed to fight cavalry, as they were always an infantry based army, and their only spear weapon was a pila, a javelin. However, there were incidences of Romans defeating cavalry when properly deployed.

Most of Richard, Johns and Henrys armies consisted of retours/ horse mercs who could be called upon faster then it would take to raise an army of vassals from the far flung plantagenet empire.

due to climet of the holy land most of Lionhearts army would have been cavalry during the crusade.

Didn't the Unsullied have their own asses handed to them by the harpies?

However, in a battle one side versus the other, then they'd count as 3 to the others I'd say.

Sort of. Mugging in alley with numbers against a sole Unsullied is one thing, facing Unsullied face to face something completely different. But the Sons of the Harpy are civilians foremost, and civilians who were raised in a culture who hasn't fought a war for millennia and doesn't know the Internet, TV or reads very often. They don't know shit.

Archived