Happy reading :)

Hi All,

I am about 240 pages in CoK, and I am hooked. I was not sure I would be so into this book as I was with GoT, but I AM! I started to read the books when the HBO series started, and I loved GoT but I thought maybe it was because I got to "see" what I had read each week... I now know it's not the HBO series driving me to read, it's the great writing of GRRM!

So my favorite characters are still Arya (Arry), Tyrion and Jon... Although I have been a little "bored" with the wall and Jon, but now they are out north of the wall and I get the feeling stuff is going to HAPPEN!

I am very intrigued by Brienne, and I feel she may become an integral character in the book. I am also interested to know more about King Renleys wifey, but I don't think she will become a main character...

I also have become very fond of Jorah Mormant, learning about his wives, his past, etc intrigues me, I like him!

What else????

Dany! Gods be good, I like her a lot! She is squatting in some abandoned village/town/castle thingy right now...

I read a spoiler that Barristan will find her,

I look forward to that...

happy reading in the sunshine today :)

HI Cynthia,

Glad you're liking ACoK. For me it was the equivalent of The Empire Strikes Back - taking a fantastic story and then ratcheting it up into something truly epic. The writing is so great - my standout scenes are Tyrion having dinner with Janos Slynt and Theon landing back on the Iron Islands. Relatively quiet scenes, nothing earth-shattering, but full of depth and great dialogue.

Enjoy....

HI Cynthia,

Glad you're liking ACoK. For me it was the equivalent of The Empire Strikes Back - taking a fantastic story and then ratcheting it up into something truly epic. The writing is so great - my standout scenes are Tyrion having dinner with Janos Slynt and Theon landing back on the Iron Islands. Relatively quiet scenes, nothing earth-shattering, but full of depth and great dialogue.

Enjoy....

I'm on page 200 and I'm enjoying Tyrion's new role in the novel. I hope we see more of that to come! With the major character that died in GoT I hope we don't lose any more favorites in CoK! I'm nervous and excited all at once. Happy reading!

• 3 weeks later...

Dany! Gods be good, I like her a lot! She is squatting in some abandoned village/town/castle thingy right now... I read a spoiler that

Barristan will find her

, I look forward to that...

You might want to spoiler tag that, it doesn't get revealed until the next book, and other CoK readers may not want to get spoiled.

After reading the first book when the tv show ended i started in book two now as well. Robb's leadership failing a bit concerns me.. And the introduction of the "fire mage" or whatever u wanna call her makes me feel like we don't know half the story yet..

I love the reasoning behind Stannis' decision to change faiths to the Lord of Light (?). He explains to Davos that he lost all faith in the seven when he saw his mother and father drown at Storm's End. It seems that Milissandre is kind of a Lady Macbeth on steroids. Stannis knows he doesn't have much strength, and he doesn't know what the red witch is quite capable of, but he knows that she is powerful. Basically, the seven have never done anything for him and his is desperate (weather he wants to admit or not)so he decides to bet on a different horse.

He doesn't really want to go through with the whole burning of the seven, he sees as a way to solidify his alliance with the Red Witch. Him pulling that sword from the Mother was nothing but a mummer's farce (also kind of comical, especially when Stannis gets his leggings caught on fire) its all for posterity.

Happy reading!

P.S. this is my very first post on these forums, hope I don't get flamed.

I love the reasoning behind Stannis' decision to change faiths to the Lord of Light (?). He explains to Davos that he lost all faith in the seven when he saw his mother and father drown at Storm's End. It seems that Milissandre is kind of a Lady Macbeth on steroids. Stannis knows he doesn't have much strength, and he doesn't know what the red witch is quite capable of, but he knows that she is powerful. Basically, the seven have never done anything for him and his is desperate (weather he wants to admit or not)so he decides to bet on a different horse.

He doesn't really want to go through with the whole burning of the seven, he sees as a way to solidify his alliance with the Red Witch. Him pulling that sword from the Mother was nothing but a mummer's farce (also kind of comical, especially when Stannis gets his leggings caught on fire) its all for posterity.

Happy reading!

P.S. this is my very first post on these forums, hope I don't get flamed.

Here you go, your very first response, no flaming!! :grouphug:

LOL, that's not to say you can expect to remain flame-free if/when you become a 'regular' here. These boards are a tough audience and they know and have discussed (argued about) every single atom of every single nuance of every single word of every single sentence that GRRM has ever written or might be thinking of writing.

In any case, welcome to the board, look forward to seeing you in the regular threads down the line. cheers~~~

I too started reading the books after seeing the first few episodes on TV. I am nearly through ACoK (page 800 or so) and I was cursing GRRM the other night when I was just gonna read "one more chapter" and then something surprising happened and of course, I had to read more, and then couldn't get up in the morning!

I am wondering, though, since Tyrion became the Hand, why has he gone about dispensing justice on people for their past wrongs, and getting rid of others? Is it because he doesn't trust anyone and doesn't want to suffer Ned's fate as the Hand?

I too started reading the books after seeing the first few episodes on TV. I am nearly through ACoK (page 800 or so) and I was cursing GRRM the other night when I was just gonna read "one more chapter" and then something surprising happened and of course, I had to read more, and then couldn't get up in the morning!

I am wondering, though, since Tyrion became the Hand, why has he gone about dispensing justice on people for their past wrongs, and getting rid of others? Is it because he doesn't trust anyone and doesn't want to suffer Ned's fate as the Hand?

I think Tyrion was cleaning house so to speak, and it was definitely something that needed to be done. I wonder if he will end up being the cat among the pigeons or a lamb amongst lions. I'm about half way through A Clash of Kings, and the stakes are much higher than they were in A Game of Thrones, its truly amazing writing.

I have done my best avoiding spoilers from further in A Clash of Kings and later books. The few things that did get spoiled, I've already read through, or are coming up very soon.

I would like to know when the event called "The Red Wedding" happens. I've heard of this event, but it just sounded too good to spoil for myself, but I don't know which book it is contained in. If someone could answer that for me, I would be most grateful. Not what it is, just which book it occurs in.

I think Tyrion was cleaning house so to speak, and it was definitely something that needed to be done. I wonder if he will end up being the cat among the pigeons or a lamb amongst lions. I'm about half way through A Clash of Kings, and the stakes are much higher than they were in A Game of Thrones, its truly amazing writing.

I have done my best avoiding spoilers from further in A Clash of Kings and later books. The few things that did get spoiled, I've already read through, or are coming up very soon.

I would like to know when the event called "The Red Wedding" happens. I've heard of this event, but it just sounded too good to spoil for myself, but I don't know which book it is contained in. If someone could answer that for me, I would be most grateful. Not what it is, just which book it occurs in.

I think it is more enjoyable for you if you have no idea, honestly. Just keep reading. :cool4:

Storm of Swords

Here you go, your very first response, no flaming!! :grouphug:

LOL, that's not to say you can expect to remain flame-free if/when you become a 'regular' here. These boards are a tough audience and they know and have discussed (argued about) every single atom of every single nuance of every single word of every single sentence that GRRM has ever written or might be thinking of writing.

In any case, welcome to the board, look forward to seeing you in the regular threads down the line. cheers~~~

Thanks, it is daunting at first (just like the books), but I am slowly but surely finding my way around the boards.

I read GoT way before the show came out. Show was OK, but not great for me. I am 2/3 through CoK, and love it. My wife has passed me by, and just completed SoS. LOVED it. I am now racing through end of CoK so I can read the much awaited third installment.

Much like you I only started reading the books after i'd seen the television show! I loved the show and love the books. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. One particular point where I thought the show was better than the book was Ned's death. Definitely more powerful!

I loved ACOK and it added to an already massive plot . I still find Stannis a mystery though as he really doesn't get a lot of lines in the novel so I'm hoping he is expanded as a character further in ASOS.

One highlight of the book was Renly's death. Took me completely by surprise as it did Brienne and Catelyn! I can't wait to see the visualisation of the shadow in the show. I have to admit I dislike the image of the Shadow being born out Milissandre and in my head it just looked completely naff and weird. :dunno:

I remember my first reading of ACOK very fondly. It was during the fall semester at my college, and while it wasn't a tough one, I had to hit the textbooks a little more often than I was used to. That's why it was such a delightful treat to clock off, lock myself in my room, bring out the ol'earphones, open up my Led Zeppelin playlist, and read as much as I could before hitting the hay. Nothing like good memories. :read: :read:

Archived