[TV SPOILERS] Best five actors in the show

Lokhtar

1. Mark Addy: I've watched the scene where he talks with Ser Barristan about his first kill a half dozen times and I still get goosebumps everytime I watch it. That scene is by far the best one in this first season.

2. Maisie Williams: The perfect Arya. Never liked her chapters in the books but Williams fits the role perfectly and I'm never bored when the show is from Arya's POV.

3. Peter Dinklage: *shrugs* Shagga likes axes.

4. Aidan Gillen: Has some of the best lines in the show and delivered them perfectly.

5. Miltos Yerolemou: Damn! Now I really wish Syrio survives :P

5: Harry Lloyd

4: Maisie Williams

3: Michelle Fairley

2: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

1: Jack Gleeson

I'll be honest, narrowing it down was hell and I could have swapped a number of other characters in because in general I think the casting/acting has been excellent.

I'd rank the actors as follows, based on their overall performance for season one:

1. Sean Bean (Ned)

A great casting choice. Sean added the necessary gravitas to his character, and I always had the feeling that his character was troubled by his moral dilemmas and the tough choices he had to make. Sean delivered one of the most consistent performances in season one.

2. Maisie Williams (Arya)

Maisie was perfectly cast as Arya. There are two things, in particular, that I feel is very important for an actor (apart from 'knowing' your character): Emotional honesty and the ability to react, because good acting not only has to do with how you act or perform, but also how you react. Maisie hits the mark on both of these important points. She brings her character to life with emotional honesty, expressiveness and spontaneity. Maisie is one of the most naturally talented young actresses/actors I've ever seen.

3. Emilia Clarke (Dany)

I wasn't too impressed with Emilia to begin with, but she got gradually better. She was very good in the second half of the season, and particularly in the last episode.

4. Charles Dance (Tywin)

Another excellent casting choice. Charles gave his character the sense of strength, authority and respect that his position called for.

5. Peter Dinklage (Tyrion)

Peter had a good start and was quite good in the first half of the season. However, I felt that he didn't make that much of an impression in the second half. Otherwise I'd probably have rated him higher [1]

The cast was very strong overall, I think. Other actors worth mentioning are:

• Iain Glen (Jorah)
  • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie)
  • Kit Harington (Jon)
  • James Cosmo (Jeor)

But some actors didn't quite hit the right notes, in my opinion (shouldn't be confused with bad acting [2]):

• Harry Lloyd (Viserys)
  • Mark Addy (Robert)
  • Aidan Gillen (Petyr)
  • Lena Headey (Cersei)
  • Sibel Kekilli (Shae)

The child actors were very good in general, particularly Isaac Hempstead Wright and Jack Gleeson (and Maisie, as mentioned earlier). Sophie Turner was also good, but unfortunately she got very little screentime.

[1] Peter plays one of the most fascinating characters, though, but this list is primarily based on the actor's performances. In terms of best/most interesting character, I'd rate him very close to the top, and above Sean Bean's Ned.

[2] It's quite possible to miscast a good actor in a role that doesn't suit or take advantage of that actor's personality and style. Some actors also feel more comfortable playing certain kinds of roles or characters.

Anyway a great performance is about 50% material and 50% acting.

I disagree :) That's like saying the writers themselves deserve half the credit for an actor's performance, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think the actor deserves the credit (or blame) for a performance, good or bad. A performance also consists of other things than just the delivery of lines of dialogue (in fact, dialogue isn't a requirement for delivering a good performance), it also consists of body language, conveying emotions, reactions, etc.

A character can be badly written and shallow, and this is obviously the screenwriter's fault, but I don't think that it should be confused with the actor's performance per se. A great character, however, is often a result of both good writing and a good performance.

#1: Tyrion by a mile. I watched the show before reading the first book and I honestly think that Peter Dinklage made the written character a million times funnier in my head. Often reading a book after watching an adaptation takes away from the book's character, but I think that Dinklage's Tyrion did the exact opposite (although I don't have anything to compare it to). What do people who read first think about that?

#2: Emilia Clarke. First of all, this was basically her major acting debut and she is fantastic. In a cast with so many vets, she stood out which is a feat of strength if I've ever seen one. I might be a bit biased because I'm totally obsessed with Dany's character.

#3/4: I'm calling a tie between Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd. They both portrayed sniveling weasels perfectly!! I'd probably give Lloyd a slight edge (only because he had so few scenes over the course of the season and left such an intense emotional imprint for me).

#5: Sean Bean. I fell absolutely in love with his character and he was just brilliant.

I'm interested in the locations of the people who rate Dinklage's and Glen's performances. I'm British (Edinburgh) and i found Dinklage's accent to be beyond awful and into the sort of bad impersonation of an English accent you get on low rent sitcoms. It grated so much for me that i couldn't get past it and actually judge his performance.

I'm American (Philadelphia) and to be honest, I didn't really really notice much of an accent difference until I read people talking about it. (Yes...stupid American...I know).

I actually love his accent. Perhaps it's because I love drama and theatrics (and because I'm a stupid American - hehehe)?

#2: Emilia Clarke. First of all, this was basically her major acting debut and she is fantastic. In a cast with so many vets, she stood out which is a feat of strength if I've ever seen one. I might be a bit biased because I'm totally obsessed with Dany's character.

Dany was also my favourite by a clear margin when I read the novels for the first time many years ago. I must admit that I was initially a bit disappointed by the TV show adaptation of Dany, but I think both Emilia's performance and the way the character itself was presented improved later on.

I had the opposite experience with Arya: I never cared much about her POV chapters in the novels, but after seeing the show I found Arya's character to be one of the most fascinating, primarily due to Maisie's performance.

I had the opposite experience with Arya: I never cared much about her POV chapters in the novels, but after seeing the show I found Arya's character to be one of the most fascinating, primarily due to Maisie's performance.

I think that highlights the difference between people who read the books before watching vs. people who watched before reading. I have a feeling that I would have had a completely different experience of many of the characters if I had not watched the series first.

Also...I LOVE Arya. I have to say that all of the child actors were amazing. Actually, all of the actors were amazing. These casting directors deserve some medals.

Also....I think that (after reading the book) the first sex scene between Drogo and Dany really affected Dany's initial character development. I was surprised how different the scene was in the book.

I think that highlights the difference between people who read the books before watching vs. people who watched before reading. I have a feeling that I would have had a completely different experience of many of the characters if I had not watched the series first.

Yeah, it could go both ways :) At the same time I try not to put too much emphasis on how the character was in the book. The most important thing to me is how the TV show character is presented, and how successful it is based on its own premises.

Also...I LOVE Arya. I have to say that all of the child actors were amazing. Actually, all of the actors were amazing. These casting directors deserve some medals.

Yes, GRRM also deserves some credit here, I think, because he was heavily involved in the crucial casting process. I don't think any actor among the main cast would've been hired without being greenlit by George.

Also....I think that (after reading the book) the first sex scene between Drogo and Dany really affected Dany's initial character development. I was surprised how different the scene was in the book.

It also highlighted one of the differences between books and movies/TV shows: Books can tell a story at a slower, more nuanced pace and can effectively convey the inner thoughts of their characters, while movies/TV shows communicate primarily at an audiovisual level, and are restricted by factors such as cost and running time. This often means that certain characters have to be combined or omitted, and events have to be simplified or cut out altogether.

#1: Tyrion by a mile. I watched the show before reading the first book and I honestly think that Peter Dinklage made the written character a million times funnier in my head. Often reading a book after watching an adaptation takes away from the book's character, but I think that Dinklage's Tyrion did the exact opposite (although I don't have anything to compare it to). What do people who read first think about that?

Only replying to this since you asked a question, since ordinarily, I wouldn't want to jump in and derail a thread.

But I thought Dinklage's Tyrion was awful, and almost unbearable to listen to. I was afraid that rereading Tyrion's POVs would be tainted for me, because of having Dinklage in my head, but fortunately, that didn't prove to be the case.

But yes, I think you're insane if you think Dinklage actually improved upon Tyrion and I feel a great sense of pity for you, that you were unable to read the books without being tainted by watching the series.

Not to mention, I'm not sure if making Tyrion 'funnier' is a good thing.

But yes, I think you're insane if you think Dinklage actually improved upon Tyrion and I feel a great sense of pity for you, that you were unable to read the books without being tainted by watching the series.

Not to mention, I'm not sure if making Tyrion 'funnier' is a good thing.

I can understand why someone who began with the book could feel that way. I wonder if you think that about any of the other major characters. On the other hand, it's not as if I cannot recognize some of the character and minor plot differences between the book and the show. For example, Cat comes across very differently in the book for me.

I'm curious what aspects of Tyrion in the book were negatively tainted by the series. I think that he is more of a "pathetic/sad" character in the book. Dinklage certainly doesn't fit the grotesque description of Tyrion from the book.

Caveat: I have only read the first book and have just begun the second. After only having read a bit of CoK, Tyrion's character has evolved dramatically.

I can understand why someone who began with the book could feel that way. I wonder if you think that about any of the other major characters. On the other hand, it's not as if I cannot recognize some of the character and minor plot differences between the book and the show. For example, Cat comes across very differently in the book for me.

I'm curious what aspects of Tyrion in the book were negatively tainted by the series. I think that he is more of a "pathetic/sad" character in the book. Dinklage certainly doesn't fit the grotesque description of Tyrion from the book.

Caveat: I have only read the first book and have just begun the second. After only having read a bit of CoK, Tyrion's character has evolved dramatically.

Yes. It might be best to pick up this conversation after you've at least read CoK and ASoS. Especially after ASoS.

Generally, I feel the Dinklage Tyrion is more shallow, more comic relief, and less interesting, with a less defined arc. His interactions with both Shae and Bronn feel stilted. Bronn in the series seems a more amiable, companionable sort than he is in the book. Or maybe it's just the dumb look on his face, all the time.

Generally, I feel the Dinklage Tyrion is more shallow, more comic relief, and less interesting, with a less defined arc. His interactions with both Shae and Bronn feel stilted. Bronn in the series seems a more amiable, companionable sort than he is in the book. Or maybe it's just the dumb look on his face, all the time.

That seems like very reasonable advice/opinion to me. I have to say that I feel lucky that I am now going to read the other 3 (and maybe DWD) before I continue with the HBO series.

I feel like Bronn is COMPLETELY different in the book, so I agree with my limited experience.

oh gees 5? Not so much 'best actor' as 'best portrayal' and in no particular order

Maisie Williams as Arya was perfect!

Peter Dinklage did a wonderful job especially since he made me overlook the whole 'Tyrion ain't ugly enough' nitpick

Emilia Clarke was fantastic! She looked much more like the Dany in my head than Tamzin Merchant and definitely pulled off the drastic character development from beginning to end

John Bradley as Sam was excellent! I recall him saying that he always acted with a bit of comedy in mind and was worried that it wouldn't fit with the tone of the show but the directors loved it and I do too! He doesn't look like the Sam in my mind (for some reason always imagined him blond with glasses... maybe the 'modern classic' bullied kid look haha) but he definitely had the personality in my mind and I always did imagine the way Sam talked to have a comedic edge to it

Jack Gleeson as Joffrey! Acts like the perfect little spoiled and compulsive little twit and I'm overlooking my nitpick that his hair isn't long.

Honorable mention to Richard Madden as Robb... he doesn't look like Robb nor does he give me the same 'feel' as the Robb in the books but I still love his television portrayal! I think he really got 'into' his character and did an excellent job!

1. Maisie Williams as Arya: Maisie was a find. She's my new 'Dakota Fanning'-That is, a young actress with more skill than her age would suggest possible. Dakota is older now, so it doesn't apply to her anymore, but Maisie can play so many different sides of the character so honestly, she should have a good career in front of her.

2. Kit Harrington as Jon Snow: Harrington is Jon, as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely amazing performance.

3. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion: Really the only person I could see in the role. I still can't understand how there were people suggesting Martin Klebba before (I like Klebba, but no), Dinklage is the one true Tyrion, IMO.

4. Jack Gleeson as Joffrey: I don't think anything can make me hate Joffrey more than the books, but Gleeson just has that look, I just want to punch him in the face, and his eyes are perfect. Aces.

5. Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo: I didn't really give a hoot one way or another regarding Drogo in the books. Momoa definately brought him to life, using mostly grunts and looks. That takes some very good acting chops. When he DID speak, it was fantastic. "A Crown for King" is probably one of the most chilling lines in the series, IMO. His speech was also very good too.

Honorable mentions go to Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Harry Llyod,Emilia Clarke, Conleth Hill, and Jerome Flynn.

Dishonorable mentions go to Michelle Fairley, the actress who plays Shae, and whoever that goofball is they want me to believe is Hot Pie. Just, no. I want to stab his face on an almost inhuman level. I really am not looking forward to having to see that loser's annoying face for next season. Recast, plox?

Now that the season is almost over, who were the five best casting choices on the show?

For me (in no particular order):

• Charles Dance as Tywin - Perfectly as I pictured. That scene with Jaime stole the whole episode.
  • Masie Williams as Arya - Enough said
  • Sean Bean - Played the honorable guy way over his head perfectly
  • Peter Dinklage - Enough said
  • Jack Gleeson - We all love to hate him, and he got that spoiled little brat thing across so perfectly

MOD NOTE: This is a TV SPOILERS thread. ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. Thank you. Xray.

1. Mark Addy

2. Harry Lloyd

3. Sean Bean

4. Sophie Turner

5. Michelle Fairley

With HM of Maisie, Jack Gleeson, Peter Dinklage, Ian Glen and most of the cast.

This above list is rather sad, since my Top 3 are already dead. I may be a bit biased to actors developing underdeveloped book characters -- Lloyd and Addy brought depth that it wasn't really possible for say, Sean Bean to bring, but they both killed their roles. Sophie Turner had an incredibly strong second half.

Sean Bean

Michelle Fairley

Nikolaj Coster Waldau

Peter Dinklage

Emilia Clarke

There are also many other noteworthy actors (I think casting's been spot on).

Richard Madden, Mark Addy, Iain Glen, James Cosmo, and the guy who plays Maester Luwin (brilliant, understated, under-rated performance, imo. Check out his expression when Robb demands he call the banners: I had goosebumps!

The excellent cast has made this show better than good, and verging on great.

Archived