4. Sean Bean - Ned Stark

5. Conleth Hill - Varys

Season 2

1. Alfie Allen - Theon Greyjoy

2. Peter Dinklage - Tyrion Lannister

3. Conleth Hill - Varys

4. Jack Gleeson - Joffrey Baratheon

5. Charles Dance - Tywin Lannister or Maisie Williams - Arya Stark

Four Overall Best are : Peter Dinklage, Conleth Hill, Alfie Allen & Maisie Williams

Honorable mention to Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), John Bradley (Sam Tarly), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H'ghar), Isaac Hempstead (Bran Stark), Rose Leslie (Ygritte), Harry Lloyd (Viserys Targaryen), Patrick Malahide (Balon Greyjoy), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Miltos Yerolemou (Syrio Forel) & Nikolaj Coster (Jaime Lannister).

Doesn't mean other actors are bad. I have never seen such an amazing and succesfull cast. Only 2-3 real disappointments.

The only outright disappointment is Emilia Clarke.

Too true, too true ...

so pretty and so little talent ... I sometimes get downright jarred out the series when she appears on the screen. And it is NOT about the lines she is given.

Stephen Dillane as Stannis was a great addition to the cast. I didn't care much for him in the first few episodes of S2 (probably more to due with a weak script than weak acting), but towards the end of the season he really brought some powerhouse performances. It also speaks volumes that so many non-readers consider him to be one of the best characters on the show, despite his relative infrequent appearances.

Other than him, I'd say Lena Heady (Cersei), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn) and Alfie Allen (Theon) really improved this season. All three did some tremendous work in season 2. Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Bran), Maise Williams (Arya) and Charles Dance (Tywin) continue to impress in every scene they get.

Peter Dinkage is a great actor without a doubt, but I still can't add him to a "top actors" list, as his poor attempt at the British accent still bothers me. It has improved greatly from S1, but it still enough to pull me out if the scene whenever he speaks. Plus he has to share many scenes with the worst actor in the show, Sibel Kekilli (Shae), which greatly impairs any emotional scenes he has.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to pick my top five, but all these are great: Tyrion, Tywin, Jaime, Ned, Arya, Robb, Varys, Joffrey, Theon, Gregor Clegane (first season), Catelyn, Melisandre, Lord Commander Mormont, Samwell, Renley, Drogo, Viserys, Catelyn, Lysa Tully, Yoren, Greatjon Umber. Cersei is played by a great actress but it's not quite what I imagine Cersei. It's different from book Cersei but she's definitely a great actress. Dany was played strongly in the first season, but the script in the second season was pretty lame and I blame the scriptwriters, not the actress. Sandor had it the other way around: he was great in the second season, but was meh in the first one.

Acting skills, Sean Bean was tops.

Heady suddenly got good in Blackwater, so I think they just don't write Cersei properly. It doesn't help that she's one of the few actors who haven't read the books. When GRRM gave her lines, she sounded like Cersei. I waited all season for that.

Dance is phenomenal as Tywin, Fairley perfect as Cat and Heady flawless as Cersei. Dinklage is awesome, but it remains to be seen whether or not he can pull off the more emotional and caring Tyrion rather than just the witty and clever Tyrion.

The girl who plays Arya has such a magnetic and joyful presence on screen, delivering her lines like a pro and she isn't even, strictly speaking, an actress (read that she's actually a dancer, which is obviously one of Arya's traits anyway). Sansa, Bran, Ned and (yep) Rickon are really great, but Madden bores me as Robb (no help with the season 2 romance) and Harrington... I don't know what it is with him but he has a way of making Jon look far too stupid almost all the time. And be honest, is book Jon truly that miserable?

Clarke is a funny one. She's a really attractive actress and, like Arya, has somewhat of a pull on the audience and her screen presence is strong. However, her lines just seem to fall out of her mouth; they aren't carried with any real weight, this most evident in her Qarth scenes especially; the ones where she proclaims her title and contains the words 'blood, fire, Valyria and take' I find extremely cringeworthy and embarassing. It certainly seems sometimes that whatever weight her lines occasionally give is far too un-convincing to take whatever she says seriously.

I never liked Ros even before I started the books; I also don't like Shae, Doreah and I think the show makes Bronn far too likeable and enjoyable for my taste. Gillen as Littlefinger also lacks an undercurrent of menace (I certainly find his presence quite menacing in the books, but he's anything but in the show. Just my nitpick though).

Overall, the series is impeccably well cast but there are some glaring disappointments, however nothing that truly puts me off watching the series. Excited as ever for season 3, which has the potential to be some of the most powerful telly ever produced. And only this cast can make it powerful, IMO; there is no other match.

Season 1

Sean Bean (Lord Eddard)- The perfect Ned. Couldn't have cast a better actor. Doesn't quite match up to the book descriptions, but I really don't give a damn.

Mark Addy (King Robert)- Again, doesn't match the book description, but I LOVED the way he brought the Lord of Storm's End to life. What a perfect voice.

Iain Glen (Ser Jorah)- Once more, not a perfect match to the way he is depicted, but I really love the way he plays the character.

Harry Lloyd (Viserys)- Perfect

Maise Williams (Arya)- Just great.

Season 2

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion)- Isn't as ugly as book Tyrion, but is terrific nonetheless. I don't give a mummer's f@ck if his accent isn't spot on.

Conleth Hill (Varys)- TOO GOOD

Stephen Dillane (Stannis)- Fantastic. I love the iron tone of his voice, his stern demeanor

Alfie Allen (Theon)- Beautifully conveyed Theon's pain, and regret.

Charles Dance (Tywin)- So so so so soooooooo good.

1: Jack Gleeson. I just think he is wonderfull playing Joffrey. Everybody I know would probably like to strangle Joffrey themselves, To generate universal hate for a character like that, seems like a mark of a great actor, to me.

2: Alfie Allen. Stole the show in season 2 as Theon Greyjoy. Some of the best scenes of the season are on his account, Imo.

3: Peter Dinklage, Should be obvious.

4 Conleth Hill as Varys. He is awesome, His character probably is amongst the truest to the books, and quite expertly played.

5: Everybody else. I can;t get over the fact how good the acting is in this show. Jaime, Catelyn, the Starks, Dolorous Edd, Tywin, Melissandre, Brienne, Cersei, Robert Arryn, Littlefinger, The hound, Gilly, Ygritte, The Halfhand, Jeor + Jorah Mormont Stannis, Drogo, Barristan, Renly, Jaqen, Margery, Loras, Balon,Viserys, Daenerys, Robbert, Lancel, Hotpie, Roose, Marillion, Lysa Tully, Davos. and whomever else I forgot to mention.

Even Shea and Asha are relatively okay, seeing what they get to work with.

I do hate Volantis chick, but that's less because of acting than it is the absurdity.

The acting is amongst the, if not thé best of any show I have ever seen, in my opinion.

Clarke is a funny one. She's a really attractive actress and, like Arya, has somewhat of a pull on the audience and her screen presence is strong. However, her lines just seem to fall out of her mouth; they aren't carried with any real weight, this most evident in her Qarth scenes especially; the ones where she proclaims her title and contains the words 'blood, fire, Valyria and take' I find extremely cringeworthy and embarassing. It certainly seems sometimes that whatever weight her lines occasionally give is far too un-convincing to take whatever she says seriously.

But isn't that the whole point? Daenerys, at that point, was as much a beggar as Viserys; she had no power and no resources, so any threats were empty and slightly ridiculous.

1. Lena Heady as Cersei Lannister

2. Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister

3. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister

4. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister

5. Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark

Honorable mentions:

• Stephane Dilanne as Stannis Baratheon
  • Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
  • Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
  • Rorry McCann as The Hound
  • Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy

Am I the only one that didn't care for Mark Addy? I couldn't believe for a second that he was once a great, formidable warrior. He played the washed up drunk pretty decently, but there was no sense that he towered over other men and fought better than anyone in his youth. It was more of a comical role, which is no surprise since Addy primarily acts in comedies (At least that I've seen). My five in no particular order would be:

1. Coster-Waldau (Jaimie)

2. Hempsted (Bran)

3. Hill (Varys)

4. Bean (Ned)

5. Williams (Arya)

I left Dinklage out even though I think he does a good job, but in Season 2 he was a bit odd at times and his accent which he's taken no measure whatsoever to sound like his father, brother, or sister is comically over-theatric. The scene where Shae (who is by far the worst cast) takes his bandages off and Tyrion sort of almost cries was a bit unconvincing as well.

People saying things like Syrio being one of the best five actors must be mistaking the thread for best five characters.

Am I the only one that didn't care for Mark Addy? I couldn't believe for a second that he was once a great, formidable warrior. He played the washed up drunk pretty decently, but there was no sense that he towered over other men and fought better than anyone in his youth. It was more of a comical role, which is no surprise since Addy primarily acts in comedies (At least that I've seen).

I actually did feel he was once a great, formidable warrior. His appearance doesn't show it, but his acting was great and it really made me feel that. One of my favorite moments that show that is the war stories scene.

I actually did feel he was once a great, formidable warrior. His appearance doesn't show it, but his acting was great and it really made me feel that. One of my favorite moments that show that is the war stories scene.

I do love that scene, but for me he was too comical and not intimidating enough. It is a matter of opinion, I suppose. He does have the voice for it, I'll grant him that.

If they ever make a prequel, however, they would have to switch Robert's casting so much that it would almost be awkward.

Archived