Board Game

Hakiko

I like playing the Tyrells in both 5 and 6 player. In 5 player they are definitely a challenge, but I like their location and cards. In 6 player Mace Tyrel is a seriously powerful card, lots of options on who to attack, and they also have a very nice defensive naval situation.

I didn't keep tally of what I won on, but I've won with six and five players. Tyrells and Lannisters are easily the most fun to play because there's a challenge. If Greyjoy is one turn behind Starks can get the neck easy and if they develop their navy well enough they can protect themselves from someone exploiting their only vulnerability: an amphibious assault. Stannis' Baratheons are the one team that often has the chance to decide the game by buying every track. They get unmatchable power due to King's Landing and surrounding areas. They've also got access to several cities (KL, Harrenhall, Whatever Point, Storm's End, and even the Eyrie if you get a few ships north quick enough) and a plethora of diplomatic opportunities. Like the rest of the southern powers, their strategy will change a bit with six players, but Highgarden will usually keep the Martells off your back.

Me and my friends have started playing some board games recently- Risk, Axis and Allies- and I think this could be a ton of fun. I'm the only one that's read the books, but one of my friends has my copy of AGoT to eventually read, and I'm pretty confident that I could get at least another to read them.

So, basically, my question is: what is the best way to get a hold of the game, without paying far out the ass? It's out of stock at FFG- whether that's because it's actually out of stock, or out of production, I don't know- but they have both expansions which I'll also pick up.

Me and my friends have started playing some board games recently- Risk, Axis and Allies- and I think this could be a ton of fun. I'm the only one that's read the books, but one of my friends has my copy of AGoT to eventually read, and I'm pretty confident that I could get at least another to read them.

So, basically, my question is: what is the best way to get a hold of the game, without paying far out the ass? It's out of stock at FFG- whether that's because it's actually out of stock, or out of production, I don't know- but they have both expansions which I'll also pick up.

I got GoT and CoK from Amazon. They might have other links to get it at on www.boardgamegeeks.com

P.S. I've got a game coming up tomorrow, may they all bend the knee at the sight of my banners.

thanks, Nathan

but it looks like Amazon only has the expansions, so it's to ebay and crossing the fingers!

My next question is: should I get the expansions along with the game? Should I wait and play the originial a few times before dishing out some more? For ASoS to function, do you need ACoK?

The two expansions are completely compatible, and either can be played with just the original game. SoS also has a game variant board for like 4 players.

I haven't picked up SoS yet and probably won't any time soon, but if you can consistently get 5-6 people, definitely spring for the CoK expansion too. It makes the game oodles more fun.

"FFGs website says it is being reprinted and will be available by May 2008" Is what I saw on board game geek, you might want to look into that.

The game is pretty awesome. If you can get some sort of deal to get AGOT and ACOK together do so, otherwise you can wait. ACoK is only worth it if you can get 6 players, but it's pretty awesome; adding Martell really mixes things up.

thanks, Nathan

but it looks like Amazon only has the expansions, so it's to ebay and crossing the fingers!

My next question is: should I get the expansions along with the game? Should I wait and play the originial a few times before dishing out some more? For ASoS to function, do you need ACoK?

SOS is a lot of fun and has cool features, but why play with 4 when you can play with 6? The more people, the more possible battle lines and alliances, intrigue, and crazyness.

SOS is a lot of fun and has cool features, but why play with 4 when you can play with 6? The more people, the more possible battle lines and alliances, intrigue, and crazyness.

Well, you don't have to play 4 players with the SoS optionaly rules, that's just an added variant.

Well, you don't have to play 4 players with the SoS optionaly rules, that's just an added variant.

Yeah, but you don't really need SOS really if you don't want to play on the map, and just use the new rules. Really depends on your funds. The new cards are better balanced, and the wilding cards are good, but you can just port the latter over. Leaders are just too mobile for the 6 player game, and you can't use tactics.

• 1 month later...

Some screenshots of the game for those that were wondering:

6 player battle

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...205851_7383.jpg

5 player base game - The young wolf caught down south

http://photos-188.ll.facebook.com/photos-l...444724_1027.jpg

Late night game

http://photos-188.ll.facebook.com/photos-l...513674_2832.jpg

No messenger ravens included but plenty of messages and diplomacy

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...400357_1314.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey folks!

Just a quick FYI for fans of Board games and ASoIaF.

Fantasy Flight Games had a significant booth presence at Gen Con, the largest hobby game convention in America last week.

FFG has rebooted their collectible card game (entitled A Game of Thrones CCG) as a "Living" Card game. Rather than chasing rare cards via hundreds of boosters, a simple 40 card fixed set of cards will be released each month for $10.00 MSRP. Base game is $39.95 MSRP. Did the demo and loved it! Now i need to find some locals (Southern NH) to play with.

Also, FFG was playtesting a NEW ASoIaF board game at the convention. This was not a new expansion for the current board game but rather a new game all together. Looked like it was for 2-5 players, and it appears to focus on individuals more so than armies. I didn't have time to stay for a full demo, but it certainly looked interesting! I'd expect it for the spring of 2009, perhaps to coincide with a certain book we're waiting for (at least they, and we hope...).

Pat E

Also, FFG was playtesting a NEW ASoIaF board game at the convention. This was not a new expansion for the current board game but rather a new game all together. Looked like it was for 2-5 players, and it appears to focus on individuals more so than armies. I didn't have time to stay for a full demo, but it certainly looked interesting! I'd expect it for the spring of 2009, perhaps to coincide with a certain book we're waiting for (at least they, and we hope...).

Pat E

Well I'm super psyched and ready to go.

• 2 months later...

On boardgamegeek, someone has posted a six-player edition of the A Storm of Swords rules. I presume they mean that there are more leaders, etc. I'm having trouble right now with WinRar. Does anyone here have that extra rule set so I may become acquainted, at least with what was added/changed to allow six players?

I played this game with three SOIAF fans, and one non fan. It was great. People found themselves acting much like there respective houses. I can't wait to get the expansions.

Fantasy Flight is an awesome company with awesome games and great customer service. I bought the Arkham Horror game (which is awesome!) and it was missing a card. When emailed them with in a day or two they responded and said they'd send me the card. Good times!

• 1 month later...

I played the game over the weekend with a couple friends and a couple questions came up:

1. If you can have armies of 4,3,2,2 does that mean if you lose a guy on your army of 3 its ok to have armies of 4, 2, 2, 2?

2. Can ships carry units or just bridge between territories?

3. When supporting, you need to be adjacent to the battle and not the unit you are supporting right? So if the Blackwater is attacked from Stony Sept, Kings landing can support the attack.

The only thing I will say that sucked about the game was that we didnt shuffle the decks enough so we got all the Supply in a row followed by all the mustering. Otherwise it was a lot of fun.

I played the game over the weekend with a couple friends and a couple questions came up:

1. If you can have armies of 4,3,2,2 does that mean if you lose a guy on your army of 3 its ok to have armies of 4, 2, 2, 2?

2. Can ships carry units or just bridge between territories?

3. When supporting, you need to be adjacent to the battle and not the unit you are supporting right? So if the Blackwater is attacked from Stony Sept, Kings landing can support the attack.

The only thing I will say that sucked about the game was that we didnt shuffle the decks enough so we got all the Supply in a row followed by all the mustering. Otherwise it was a lot of fun.

1) yes

2) just bridge units, support the battle, raid, and fight other ships. that gets more complicated int he expansions with ports and things but you didn't ask about that.

3) it never matters where the attacker is coming from, only where the battle is taking place. I have moved whole armies from dorne to winterfell by use of the navy. the battle takes place in winterfell, therefore only territories adjacent to winterfell can support the battle.

-------------

if you love the original game, get the expansions. they make the game so much more fun. a storm of swords is amazing.

Archived