[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 5

Xray the Enforcer

Since Quaithe mentions all the characters we know heading to Dany's court, including Tyrion (Lion) & Victorian (Kraken), I'm inclined to think that the Griff she mentions referred to Connington (Old Griff), and the mummer's Dragon, with all that the name entails, to young Griff.

I hope so. For some reason I can't quite pin down I don't like YG=BA (Baby Aegon). Probably I'd think different if I hadn't known the theory from these very boards for so long already. YG=FA (Fake Aegon)=Mummer's Dragon, probably unbeknownst to YG himself, would please me more, mainly because as a strong believer in R+L=J Aegon would be one Targ too many for my taste.

The mummer's dragon could be someone else. Aurane Waters, for example.

It could be Young Griff with Young Griff still being Aegon. The "mummer" could refer to the fact that he is disguising himself as someone else.

It could also refer to him as not being the "real" dragon in the same way that Viserys was always claiming to be "the dragon" but was not despite being a true Targaryen.

In theory Aegon would have the best claim of any possibilities we're aware of.

Actually Stannis still has the best claim if all the accounts of the books are believed by people, as his line has won the throne through conquest. Until he is defeated in a war, or bends the knee... Aegon needs to win the throne, or have the Baretheon line abdicate.

Mummer's Dragon could mean a fake dragon, or it could mean a Dragon "playing a mummer's part" i.e. in disguise.

It could be Young Griff with Young Griff still being Aegon. The "mummer" could refer to the fact that he is disguising himself as someone else.

I was thinking along these lines.

Actually Stannis still has the best claim if all the accounts of the books are believed by people, as his line has won the throne through conquest. Until he is defeated in a war, or bends the knee... Aegon needs to win the throne, or have the Baretheon line abdicate.

Eh, not really. They claimed the throne through the Targaryen line, remember? Egg's daughter or granddaughter is their grandmother (or something along those lines).

Viserys just didn't have any armies to actually support his claim, nor Dany hers when the series started, and the rest of the Targaryens (to everyone's knowledge) were all dead. I see what you're saying but if anyone who really cares about "rightful King" was going to determine who it would be, it would be Aegon, as the Baratheons claim came through the Targaryens anyway. And also conquest, but there ya go.

I always thought "mummer's dragon" meant the Golden Company. I must say, this reveal caught me completely off-guard. I've always thought that these baby swap theories were too far-fetched. Could he really be the 3rd head of the dragon (Dany, Jon, BA)? So far YG has come across as just a hotheaded brat, not liking him much at the moment.

I think there's a possibility that the mummer's dragon is the same as the stone dragon Melisandre is trying to raise.

I do hope that stone dragon Melisandre is trying to raise is an actual stone dragon and not one of our Targaryen characters afflicted with Greyscale.

I do hope that stone dragon Melisandre is trying to raise is an actual stone dragon and not one of our Targaryen characters afflicted with Greyscale.

I don't like that, only because it sounds far too plausible- hope it isn't true!

Also, this chapter raises a question for me (I'm annoyed I don't have aGoT to hand)- assuming everyone is who Tyrion thinks they are, any chance when Arya heard Illyrio and Varys in the Red Keep they were discussing Aegon and not Viserys? Everyone would just assume the latter, but knowing GRRM he could have made it vague enough.

I am adopting a "wait and see" attitude toward Young Griff's identity, mostly because I have learned not to believe everything GRRM puts in front of my eyes.

The best part of the chapter, for me, was having Tyrion stumble into a certain hairy bear knight who tells him that they're going to see "the queen". Betcha Tryion has no idea to which queen Mormont is referring. :thumbsup:

This is from Tyrion's next chapter so you may want to edit the post :P

This is from Tyrion's next chapter so you may want to edit the post :P

Yeah that guy's post actually spoiled me for that meet-up...not a huge spoiler but still a bit of a downer. Please make sure you check the page limit for the chapter threads for those obsessives among us who like to discuss after every chapter! :P

By the way was that Drogon that Tyrion saw?

A half-seen shape flapped by overhead, pale leathery wings beating at the fog. The dwarf craned his head around to get a better look, but the thing was gone as suddenly as it had appeared.

Whaaaaat the whaaaaat?

Just finished this chapter and like others on this thread I never gave credence to any of the baby switching theories. That all seems like such a "typical" fantasy plot twist.

I am hoping it turns out to be a red herring. Otherwise Aegon's very existence would seem to undermine the plot threads of Dany and even Jon...

Mummer's Dragon could mean a fake dragon, or it could mean a Dragon "playing a mummer's part" i.e. in disguise.

Tyrion's clues work just as well whether he's real or fake.

There's another option too. The mummer's dragon doesn't have to be fake, or playing a mummer's part. It could also refer to the dragon that belongs to the mummer...as in "that's Varys' Dragon".

If Young Griff being Aegon is true (and as of this chapter I'm going to assume that it is), it really puts some things into perspective.

Like I said in my post above, the mummer's dragon could be refering to the dragon that belongs to the mummer, and I think the mummer could easily be thought of as Varys.

If Varys/Illyrio have really been slow-playing Griff all these years and training him, then Viserys was always a misdirection and very much disposable. It also might make a little more sense of Varys being willing to send an assassination attempt on Dany's life in GoT that he couldn't have known 100% would fail.

Perhaps Dany does have something to fear here. If Illyrio's tale earlier in the book can be believed, Varys and Illyrio are an up-jumped cutpurse & thug, that became so successful in trading information and eventually manipulating political pieces behind the scenes. Viserys / Dany could have been planned as misdirection from the start, with them needing time to groom Griff/Aegon. If even they weren't expecting Dany's dragons to hatch and her to grow so powerful, and they want Aegon on the throne...If Dany says no...

I had actually sorta figured out that Griff was more than he seemed. I remember in Tyrions last chapter he said that YG had purple eyes or eyes that looked black but also looked purple during the day(or something like that). So knowing that Targs have purple eyes i felt he was at least some sort of Targaryn. Also the fact he was around the same age as Aegon would have been and had dyed hair.

That whole chapter was solid though, I really felt like something was going to go down with all the fog and such.

Archived