[ADwD Spoilers] Rank the Books Now

SergioCQH

1: DWD: Most of the fantasy I read generally has a lot more magic in it than ASOIAF and Dance was definitely the most fantastical of the books so far and I liked visiting some new places. It also had most of my favourite characters focused in one novel, though it was rather slow paced.

2: GOT: It's got that fresh feel everytime I read it and even if the Stark kids had less interesting chapters back then it was fast paced and awesome. A great introduction to the series.

3: SOS: Again, it was fast paced with some real shockers like the red wedding which was big even for GRRM. Jon was back at The Wall, slavers bay was still new and awesome back then. Some of the POV's were a bit boring but mostly good.

4: COK: It's pretty close with SOS but it was mainly spoilt with all those Arya chapters. They've gotten interesting now but back then they were the height of boring.

5: AFFC: It was still a good read, but very poor compared to the rest. It was slow paced, there was hardly any magic, all my favourite characters were gone, replaced with absolutely boring ones. Brienne POV's were quite frankly awful. Also it's not such a big deal but the new POV titles jarred me a little bit, and I didn't really like the fact that some characters had like one or two chapters. That was in DWD as well but I was used to it by then. Was still a good read with Cersei's POV and all but far below the others in quality.

ASOS- Stannis in the north, LF "saved" Sansa, Joff/Robb died (yay!no!) {prob my fav book of all time}

ADWD- Aegon, Davos is so cool! (and alive), ides of marsh (such a great name for it!), Reek (... whoa)

ACOK- Asha played her bro!, Renlys death, Bran/Rickon are alive!, Blackwater( the imp saved the day)

AFFC- Brienne can fight!, The Kingslayer took out BF, Bronn is so cool!, Margaery is a whore

AGOT- good but not enough magic or war or politics (def a good start to ASOIAF)

It's hard to rank the books, cause I like them all for different reasons, but I think after DwD my list would be as follows

1. GOT: I can still remember how I had to fight through all those new names of families and charakters but soon I was rewarded with a fantasy world as deep and exciting as I could wish for.

2. COK & SOS: devoured them all in a few days, so I can hardly distinguish them any more. I loved how Jon's story developed and learned to hate the Freys.

3. DwD: the first book of the series I really had to wait for and though it couldn't match all my high expectations, it almost did. Just one cliffhanger less would have been nice.

4. AFFC: I liked Jamie's chapters the most, had to reread the whole thing before I could appreciate Brienne's story and the Ironmen's struggle.

I like them in the order they are written.

Games, Clash, Storm, Feast, Dance.

I would never have standed Mereen pages per se, I must admit.

Let's hope that coming back to the original path thought by Martin at the beginning the whole of the series ends up as good as it promised to be when it all begun!

Archived