[ADWD Spoilers] GRRM new favourite word?

Conningcris

"Serjeant" is also starting to grate on me now (though it is a real word, and spelled correctly). I'm also giving bonus points to repeat occurrences of "niello" and "neeps," both of which I had to look up.

On a slightly unrelated note, I've noticed quite a few fairly glaring copy-editing errors in this book, which is kind of a surprise because I usually associate ASOIAF books with thorough copy-editing. Makes me wonder just how fast the manuscript had to be rushed to print....

There have also been several barrel vaulted ceilings but I will forgive all so long as he doesn't use the word 'dugs.'

So far, so good.

Hah. I also noticed that we had many and more barrel vaulted ceilings in the first several chapters.

*and, heh, I don't actually mind leal. I'll attribute its new prevalence to all these southrons we have as POVs in the later books. Southrons with their fancy, schmancy words. Northerners show that they'll give you leal service by challenging you until your dire wolf bites off their fingers, or some such.

Does anybody else alway associate "vex" with the "Pride and Prejudice" BBC miniseries like I do? "Oh, Mr Bennett, this also very vexing"... I see potential for yet another cross-over for the makers of "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies"!

GoT would have been Pride and Predjudice and Zombies if they had only kept Ehle as Catelyn.

why did i click this topic?? of course now every time i see serjeant, cadaverous and leal i have an inner "argh"

+1 to him/her that said "whore" was grrm's favorite word. where do whores go?

(edited for serjwhatever sp)

Serjeant and leal etc are noticeable (especially now after reading this thread. I keep looking around for barrell vaulted ceilings too), but they're so much smoother inclusions than 'nuncle' and 'half a groat' in AFFC were. That was just painfully jarring everytime I read them.

So far everything about ADWD seems to be working far better than Feast. It appears Martin was actually enjoying writing this, rather than the hard slog that came across for the previous book.

Serjeant and leal were pretty glaring additions for me. Neeps was noticeable as well. And it seems like every new breast in the last couple of books has a large nipple.

It just strikes me that if these words are so commonplace in the ASOIAF world, they should have been widely used in the first three books, too. I'm sure he just hadn't thought of using them before, but then they should have stayed localized to new characters and areas when introduced instead of slapped into existing vocabularies.

Serjeant definitely comes across like GRRM read a new book on medieval military hisotry, stumbled across the term, and fell in love with it. Which is fine, except serjeants have never been mentioned before.

If it has not been used in speach (which I don't remember if it has), it is sort of more ok, but still jarring. You could explain it away as a descriptive term that the author uses about some position that exists in that world but is not called that in that world. However it doesn't really fit with the way the chapters are written in the point of view of characters in that world, and also that it is an unusual word.

There do seem to be certain words and phrases that are used often in only one of the books. I noticed Serjeant the first time I read it - what caught my notice was the spelling with a j.

In Game of Thrones, I remember Tyrion always being called "my lord of Lannister." Besides GoT, I can't recall that phrasing again. There was something else in A Clash of Kings too, but I can't remember now.

I don't remember seeing "hour of the wolf" used in any of the other books. In ADWD I noticed it used in Jon, Theon, Cersei, Barristan and Quentyn chapters. Obviously it evokes Stark parallels, but the Cersei chapter also mentions the hour of the owl and the hour of the nightingale.

"Niello" is the word that's been vexing me this book. I don't think he's ever mentioned it before, and now every third chapter seems to have a niello-inlaid something. Apparently it's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niello

YES.

This was bugging me too. Where did all the niello suddenly appear from, why is everyone wearing it, and why didn't he mention it before?

Also, abbatoir and hour of the wolf. Never mentioned before ADWD. That hour of the wolf, hour of the owl stuff really grated on me.

On a slightly unrelated note, I've noticed quite a few fairly glaring copy-editing errors in this book, which is kind of a surprise because I usually associate ASOIAF books with thorough copy-editing. Makes me wonder just how fast the manuscript had to be rushed to print....

+1

Archived