[ADWD SPOILERS] Where Is Rickon?

eddardstark

not cities, strongholds of three ruling houses: Magnar, Crawl and Stane

Skagos doesn't have any significant settlements

Kingshouse, Deepdown and Driftwood Hall are the mountain fastnesses Sam recalled the Skagosi lived in. The Skagosi also dwell in caves, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were underground caverns beneath any of the fastnesses. The unicorns could be Pleistocene-era rhinoceroses. They would be a good reason for war mounts with their massive bulk, strength and the speed similar to a horse combined with a large horn.

Is it possible that Wex knows Rickon's location because he overheard Osha talking about it with the dying Luwin? Remember, Luwin asked for everyone to leave except for Osha. I think they were together for a couple of minutes before Osha put him out of his misery. I can't see Luwin telling Osha to send Rickon to Cannibal Island though. Unless the Starks had friends there but given the history of Skagos and its relationship with House Stark, I don't see this as likely.

Where was Wex picked up? At Winterfell or outside of it?

Is it possible that Wex knows Rickon's location because he overheard Osha talking about it with the dying Luwin? Remember, Luwin asked for everyone to leave except for Osha. I think they were together for a couple of minutes before Osha put him out of his misery. I can't see Luwin telling Osha to send Rickon to Cannibal Island though. Unless the Starks had friends there but given the history of Skagos and its relationship with House Stark, I don't see this as likely.

Where was Wex picked up? At Winterfell or outside of it?

Outside Winterfell, Manderly states Wex followed Rickon and Asha.

Kingshouse, Deepdown and Driftwood Hall are the mountain fastnesses Sam recalled the Skagosi lived in. The Skagosi also dwell in caves, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were underground caverns beneath any of the fastnesses. The unicorns could be Pleistocene-era rhinoceroses. They would be a good reason for war mounts with their massive bulk, strength and the speed similar to a horse combined with a large horn.

I think Deepdown is within a cavern. And Kingshouse is an interesting name, if you think of the Skagosi as non-kneeler, free folk types. (Which they may not be.)

I think Deepdown is within a cavern. And Kingshouse is an interesting name, if you think of the Skagosi as non-kneeler, free folk types. (Which they may not be.)

Now that i think on it, Deepdown's name suggests it could be in a cavern. I believe Skagosi culture could be a cross between regular Westerosi culture with lords and the culture of the free folk.

• 1 month later...

As to how Rickon and Osha would have gotten to Skagos without drawing attention..

We know the Skagosi trade with Westeros. So couldn't it be likely that Osha found a Skagosi vessel in port in White Harbour when she arrived? They probably have to stock up on supplies before the winter, so I can see them dealing a lot in White Harbour at the moment. And I guess they are more into the old ways then most of the north even, therefore, maybe they don't have any problem with a kid who can warg with a direwolf (like the wildlings). Osha might even know someone from the ship who she could trust, as some people here have speculated, that she may even be from Skagos originally, or at least traveled through there in the past.

My guess is that the tales about Skagos are not entirely true, that they want to keep outsiders away, so they allow these tales of cannibalism to be told and probably even encourage them, to discourage people from intruding. Osha probably knows this and therefore thinks its the last place on the earth that someone would look for a Stark heir. She probably kept Rickon's identity secret as well.

One thing I don't find likely, is that Wex was able to follow them from Winterfell to White Harbour undetected. Osha seems pretty good in the woods and wilderness, whereas Wex is from the Iron Islands and should not be very familar with tracking. Plus they have a direwolf that Rickon is probably warging into regularly. They would have detected him at some point.

Crack-pot: Maybe they did and Osha somehow allowed him to track, knowing he would report it to Manderly for a reward. Maybe she laid down a false trail and intended to go to somewhere else, like Bravos, but in the end got stranded there due to the storms?

One thing I don't find likely, is that Wex was able to follow them from Winterfell to White Harbour undetected. Osha seems pretty good in the woods and wilderness, whereas Wex is from the Iron Islands and should not be very familar with tracking. Plus they have a direwolf that Rickon is probably warging into regularly. They would have detected him at some point.

In the last Davos chapter, Manderly stated that Wex stayed downwind so Shaggydog wouldn't catch his scent.

As to how Rickon and Osha would have gotten to Skagos without drawing attention..

We know the Skagosi trade with Westeros. So couldn't it be likely that Osha found a Skagosi vessel in port in White Harbour when she arrived? They probably have to stock up on supplies before the winter, so I can see them dealing a lot in White Harbour at the moment. And I guess they are more into the old ways then most of the north even, therefore, maybe they don't have any problem with a kid who can warg with a direwolf (like the wildlings). Osha might even know someone from the ship who she could trust, as some people here have speculated, that she may even be from Skagos originally, or at least traveled through there in the past.

My guess is that the tales about Skagos are not entirely true, that they want to keep outsiders away, so they allow these tales of cannibalism to be told and probably even encourage them, to discourage people from intruding. Osha probably knows this and therefore thinks its the last place on the earth that someone would look for a Stark heir. She probably kept Rickon's identity secret as well.

Crack-pot: Maybe they did and Osha somehow allowed him to track, knowing he would report it to Manderly for a reward. Maybe she laid down a false trail and intended to go to somewhere else, like Bravos, but in the end got stranded there due to the storms?

Plus as of current events in the series, doesnt the Magnar of Thenn have rights to the Karstark holdings due to his marriage with Alys? That would give Osha and Rickon another ally in the region and one that is very close to Skagos, if in fact that is where they are. I am sure Alys would aid Rickon in any way she could because Jon helped her.

Plus as of current events in the series, doesnt the Magnar of Thenn have rights to the Karstark holdings due to his marriage with Alys? That would give Osha and Rickon another ally in the region and one that is very close to Skagos, if in fact that is where they are. I am sure Alys would aid Rickon in any way she could because Jon helped her.

Only if Alys's brother is killed, he's currently still a lannister captive. She may be the current custodian though I guess.

In the last Davos chapter, Manderly stated that Wex stayed downwind so Shaggydog wouldn't catch his scent.

Yes I know but its weird all the same that he was able to do that for the whole trip from Winterfell to White Harbour (which is pretty far). I think Osha as a seasoned wilderness tracker (I assume she is), and a direwolf would eventually notice Wex following them. He's Ironborn, so again I assume he's not the best in the woods/wilderness. I just don't see that happening IMO.

Yes I know but its weird all the same that he was able to do that for the whole trip from Winterfell to White Harbour (which is pretty far). I think Osha as a seasoned wilderness tracker (I assume she is), and a direwolf would eventually notice Wex following them. He's Ironborn, so again I assume he's not the best in the woods/wilderness. I just don't see that happening IMO.

it is possible in case Rickon and Osha sent Shaggydog to go forward to scout and hunt and Wex found some streams to cover his smell. Or he might not have followed them all the way, he might have mustered his courage at some point and got so close he could overhear them

it is hard but manageable

• 2 weeks later...

You're right. If she were truly worried about the Others, she wouldn't have headed south. She would have gone straight to the island.

I still think there has to be something special about Skagos, and that's why she went there.

Plus this will be a good enviroment for Rickon to learn to skinchange, if there are wilding on this islands maybe one of them will be able to help him... He could skin change into a unicorn :)

I have a question though. if Wex is illiterate, how could have he known where Skagos is on the map?

Wex could nod or shake his head. Manderly could have said "Did Osha say they were going to Skagos?" And he could have nodded. Then Manderly could have pointed to the map, and BAM! Wex now knows where Skagos is on the map.

Ok, I would like to put my thoughts in on a couple subjects that are being discussed here.

First, I'm starting to agree on the Skagos idea. I want to fully realize this so I'm going to argue both sides. I was initially thinking Greywatch, because there are rumors of cannibalism are put on the Crannogmen. If it turns out to be Greywatch that solves two puzzle pieces. There is still the Bear's daughter that went to Greywatch with Rob's Decree proclaiming Jon King of the North. That puts Davos in POV to witness the drama that would unfold with this realization. Second, it would put Davos in the position to help the Crannogmen, who would be following their "liege lord" Rickton into battle against Bolton and the Freys.

On the otherhand, from the descriptions that I remember (and that are presented here) Skagos seems just as likely. This puts a couple of plot devices on the table, as well. First is the Velarian steel. There is the legend about Brandon the Lost who sailed away looking for a lost (and presumably powerful) artifact from the Kings of the North. Eddard remembers the individual as a boy, which would put him around two generations before the current crop of Starks. Brandon the Sailor (Lost?) ended up on Skargos and Rickton and Davos end up finding said artifact.

As to how Wex knows where they were? Easy. Enough time has passed that Wex was able to know which ship they were heading out on, presumably headed as far south as Osha could go. Said ship crashed on Skagos. Said crash is spoted and identified. one plus two equals three. Manderly might not be sure that Rickton is alive, just knows that the crash of the ship that he was on happened to be on Skagos.

Second is a reply about Bran. What was Jon doing when he was assassinated/attempted? He was headed to Hardhome(sp?). Where is Bran? Somewhere near Hardhome, right? The re-hookup of Jon/Bran can happen at this juncture. Perhaps Bran or Bloodraven will teach Jon something about Warging and Jon will find out the fate of his Uncle Benjen, who is perhaps Coldhands. There are other things that I'm forgetting. Please feel free to expand.

• 3 weeks later...

What does the cog have to do with Rickon and Osha? Do we even see them getting onto a boat? Last I remember they split from Bran and Co. and that was it.

i think he is on skagos but i'm curious about how the cog is a hint, too?

also, it could be possible the stories of the skagosi are untrue or infrequent, it seems like all these different cultures constantly exaggerate the others. wildlings are this, northmen are that, southeron people act like this.....

Archived