Robert, Renly, or Stannis

seanbean4lyfe

Definetely Stannis. At first I didn't really like him, but he's starting to grow on me. Personally I think he'd be the best possible Commander of the Night's Watch, but probably still a good king.

Robert, eh. I think he got portrayed a little harshly with the drinking/whoring, and was probably a decent guy, but I'm kind of a Rhaegar/Jaime guy, so I don't have much love for him.

Renly was cool, but he reminded me often of a teenager. Liked the guy, wouldn't want him ruling Westereos.

In the TV Show Renly scolds Robert for being so carefree and irresponsible as a king while they are hunting.In Clash of Kings he tries to recruit Barristan the Bold. This shows that he knows how to surround himself with good officers since Barristan is a legend in Westeros admired by all for his bravery and good sense. These two actions show that he would be a much better king than Robert who basically never set out to be king he just wanted to punish the Targaryen prince that ridiculed him and rode off with his girlfriend. He was a warrior at heart and let his council do the daily mundane tasks of a king while he drank and partied. Stannis is just too dark and weird for my taste with his mysterious witches and his obsesion with burning other people with kingsblood. He would be a hit in the lands acrros the narrow sea and the Free Cities where those dark arts he practices are far more common. So yeah Renly is the man. And as a bonus he ridiculed Prince Joffrey in the first book which is always a plus.

Seeing as I like a good party definitely Robert. Hunt in the morning, get drunk in the afternoon, and then get drunk and horny at night. Thursday, Fridays, and Saturdays couldn't get much more epic then that. Plus he can be a good wingman. Being the king all the prettiest wenches will come a calling, if I hook him up enough with a few wenches, pass a few jaigermeister and 1200 Silver his way he'd be drunk as skunk and I'd slink off with some of the nicer girls. Hell maybe I'll be the desiganted driver so we can take a few home for some fun.

• 2 months later...

All three Baratheon brothers are great characters. That being said, I am way more partial then most to Robert. Robert was the galvanising figure behind the over throw of Mad King Aerys and while he was not a great King the realm for awhile after the war did not really need a great King it was the time of the long summer and the kingdom wasmostly at peace. I think the general consensus among most people that didn't have a direct axe to grind with Robert was that he was a great man despite his faults. Barristan Selmy for example is highly complementary of Robert. Yes great men can be drunkards and lechers.

I liked Robert the best, by far. He would've been great to party with, needless to say, and as bad as people claim he was, his reign was one of peace when it could've been a total bloodbath. He was merciful to those who had stood against him, and very quickly returned the realm back to order (the Greyjoy Rebellion being his only black mark). Daeron the Good wasn't even able to do so much as that after the Blackfyre Rebellion. Lords were constantly conspiring against him, and his successor, Aerys I, put more than a couple heads on pikes in order to prevent further rebellions. Granted, Robert may have bankrupted the realm in the process, but human life is generally more valuable than coin. So yeah, Robert gets my vote. Stannis is a douchebag and Renly is an obnoxious brat.

I kind of agrees with BrosBeforeSnows. The Baratheon brothers are surely an interesting group and I probably would've liked both Robert and Stannis, even if I loath Renly I'm sure he could be a nice enough fellow. Stannis is my favorite though, even if he goes against the Lannisters.

I'm even thinking of replacing the Greyjoys as my third most favorite family with the Baratheons, or just add the Baratheons as the House number 4 that I like the most.

Stannis is more competent, but he is almost inhuman, he has almost zero understanding for human weakness. He would make a good king in hard times, in peace he would be a tyrant, dictating how people must live, even when it's not necessary, like that business with whores. Renly would be much better choice for peaceful summer.

Renly 100%. He seems like a nice guy, and we don't really see what he would have been like as a ruler, but he seems largely competent. The only negative thing he did was agree with robert on murdering daenerys, but its not like his input would have mattered anyway. He gets people to love him because he treats them well, there is a reason all the stormlords pick him instead of Stannis.

Robert was a horrible person (Cersei put it best "He was a coward at heart") and its weird to me that people say he was a good friend. Every time Ned needed him to do something he failed. He also was a total deadbeat dad who left his children to figuratively rot (he's the king and his daughter is working in a brothel) At the same time despite being a total moral failure and being in the part of hell reserved for domestic abusers and child murderers, I respect the guys accomplishments. Robert was a great fighter who overthrew westeros's only dynasty and seized the throne for himself. Whatever one can say about the moral aspects of him he also was a great warrior who got shit done. Alexander the great or Sulla would be a good comparison.

Stannis is just a hypocritical douchebag whose demands people follow him for no other reason than that is their duty then is bitter when nobody follows him, I'd rather see ramsay bolton or lollys get the throne.

my fav was robert damn it... th eman was the victim in this whole lyanna/rhaegar situation.

and then got stuck with a golden haired succubus!!!!

Robert damn it..!

Wait, how was he the victim? It's not like Lyanna and he were in love and got torn apart. She was disturbed by him and he just wanted to have sex with her.

I mean shit, Lyanna and Rhaegar died, and Robert got the throne. Thats hardly the worst outcome for him.

Robert has orgies with prostitutes while he believes the "love of his life" is being raped/kidnapped. I'm not against him doing this but it defeats the idea that he genuinely loved lyanna. He loved her as a thing, the ideal perfect women who was going to take his shit and not respond to it. Like when he tells ned that lyanna would never have embarrassed him the way cersei would, and Ned is like "yeah she would've"

Barristan Selmy for example is highly complementary of Robert. Yes great men can be drunkards and lechers.

No, Barristan selmy is mixed toward Robert. He says he was a good knight but "a bad king" explicitly. He also says that Rhaegar would have made a better king, and that he is ashamed of serving under Robert. He is very much not complementary.

Wait, how was he the victim? It's not like Lyanna and he were in love and got torn apart. She was disturbed by him and he just wanted to have sex with her.

I mean shit, Lyanna and Rhaegar died, and Robert got the throne. Thats hardly the worst outcome for him.

how do u kno she was disturbed by him? from what robert said he loved the minx. That woman ran off with a man who was married to a sick wife.

Leaving poor robert to tear down almost an entire kingdom for her.... ur not going to change my mind on this. u people give lyanna too much credit.

So what if Robert liked many types of womanly prey?? He clearly loved Lyanna and she brought a whole kingdom to its knees for her selfish needs.

look here is the truth.. in real or fictional worlds...men do not attach love to sex. He was at war and needed to relax...that has nothing to do with loving the stark chick

Robert was an irresponsible coward who assaulted his wife (when he wasn't raping her) and children (when he wasn't ignoring them) so yeah, definitely not a fan of him. Still a decent character and "Someone took her away from me and 7 kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind" was a great line.

I like Renly and he could have been a good king with the Tyrells' at his side. I don't pay much attention to what Donal Noye said about him, "pretty but not good for much"? He was oozing charisma and not dumb at all. Renly would have been on the throne by the end of CoK if it wasn't for Melisandre.

Stannis? I find him the most interesting out of the 3 but I don't believe he'd make a great king. As much as he doesn't want to admit it, he's the type of person suited for taking orders from others and winning wars for them. Ruling over seven kingdoms and keeping the peace? Not so much.

The perfect Baratheon would have Robert's military prowess, Stannis' sense of responsibility and Renly's charisma.

A pretty solid point ^ It's a shame that they didn't get along - imagine how amazing they would have been if they worked together in ruling Westeros.

Anypoo, if I were to choose between the three, it would have to be Stannis.

Renly was funny and charismatic, but if he hadn't been killed early on I don't think he was going to be a successful king. He was wasting his energy and resources on tourneys (Noted by Catelyn) most of his men were young , green and lost in a unrealistic fantasy. Plus, his organization was a bit strange and wonky to other people (Like the format of his Rainbow Guard). To me, he was too much flash and not enough substance.

I think the Old Robert would have been great, but as a king later on he was a poor one. HUDE debts, carelessness in his rule where everything was placed on other shoulder's, and he hated being king in the first place. And the manwhore side to him isn't exactly helping.

Stannis seems to be the only one with a true head on his shoulders. He does all the work himself, follows duty, punishes wrongdoers, doesn't care about being fancy or glamorous - far from being entirely perfect pf course (And Mel might not be helping) but out of the three I'll say this guy.

how do u kno she was disturbed by him? from what robert said he loved the minx. That woman ran off with a man who was married to a sick wife.

Leaving poor robert to tear down almost an entire kingdom for her.... ur not going to change my mind on this. u people give lyanna too much credit.

So what if Robert liked many types of womanly prey?? He clearly loved Lyanna and she brought a whole kingdom to its knees for her selfish needs.

look here is the truth.. in real or fictional worlds...men do not attach love to sex. He was at war and needed to relax...that has nothing to do with loving the stark chick

She tells Ned she's scared of him and the fact that he already has a son. And he didn't tear down a kingdom for her. He did it because he wanted a crown and used her as an excuse. After the war was won he didn't even bother looking for her and left that to Ned. He certainly didn't love Lyanna, he just thought she was hot. You can't love someone if you haven't even met them.

And fine, but Robert did it to the extreme. He didn't need to "relax" every freaking night with a different woman.

Stannis. BY A MILE. Better a man that does his duty and is honest and straightforward than the alternatives.

Robert is one of the worst people in Westeros and should never have been king. Better baby aegon with Ned, Tywin, or Jon as Regent.

Renly... eh, he was playing at being king. I don't know that he'd be worse than Robert but...

Archived