Robert, Renly, or Stannis

seanbean4lyfe

Stannis easily. He had his mistakes, but when he left Storm's End and Dragonstone to go 1000 leagues North only because it was the right thing to do, it sealed the deal.

I didn't care for Robert in the books (in the series he was MUCH improved, in no small due to Mark Addy's work), and Renly is a lightweight in capacity and personality.

But a combination of Stannis and Robert (you don't really need Renly, Robert has enough charisma in his own right) would be ideal.

He could have made Tywin HotK to keep Casterly Rock in the fold.

Tywin would NEVER accept Renly on the throne when he could have his own blood (which, to his knowledge, were the legitimate heirs).

Robert's certainly my choice of drinking buddies. But as for king...

I'd pick Renly, married to Marg. The kid's got good instincts, he's charismatic, and he'd make people love him. Since we're in ideal and purely speculative world, Stannis would be Hand. He's be a PERFECT hand, and balance to Renly while teaching him.

Robert would be a combo of master-at-arms or lord commander of the royal army, which of course, Renly would let him build. But Robert would also be in the wings for heir-making duties on the side, so long as Marg was willing. That way Renly could keep his Loras, and he'd have heirs that sorta had that Baratheon look.

This is discounting the order of their births, of course. But we're in pretend la la land.

I think this is part of what makes these books so awesome, that it asks us what would our "ideal" leader be like. Someone who could theoretically get the job done but with no ounce of finesse (Stannis), or the guy who is a great orator, a good show, lots of pomp and circumstance like the English Royalty, but ultimately perhaps ineffectual (Renly), or the soldier who was a beastly five-star-general in the field but crap-for-brains when dealing with politics? (I mean, we've elected plenty of men to office based on their battlefield skills, and then thought WTF when they had to sit behind a desk - hmmm, duh!)

The answer is obviously that they need mystical rings a la Captain Planet to produce one mighty all powerful Baratheon who has a righteous sense of honor matched only by his brawn and ability to deliver a kick ass one liner all at once.

I think this is part of what makes these books so awesome, that it asks us what would our "ideal" leader be like. Someone who could theoretically get the job done but with no ounce of finesse (Stannis), or the guy who is a great orator, a good show, lots of pomp and circumstance like the English Royalty, but ultimately perhaps ineffectual (Renly), or the soldier who was a beastly five-star-general in the field but crap-for-brains when dealing with politics? (I mean, we've elected plenty of men to office based on their battlefield skills, and then thought WTF when they had to sit behind a desk - hmmm, duh!)

The answer is obviously that they need mystical rings a la Captain Planet to produce one mighty all powerful Baratheon who has a righteous sense of honor matched only by his brawn and ability to deliver a kick ass one liner all at once.

yeah, it is very interesting how each brother is a different politician type. *chin stroke*

like you said

Stannis, the one who looks good on paper...but he also has a high sense of justice, so that sets him a little above that :D

Renly, the people's king who dresses the part and seems ideal because of his influence and charisma

then Robert, the great warrior who should surely make the transition perfectly :rolleyes:

haha I realized I just repeated what you said, but I thought it was very good :D

Stannis. I believe he was really overshadowed when growing up, by the personalities of both Robert and Renly, and that made him bitter. Still, and paradoxically, to me he is the most likeable one.

:agree: I really like the character of Stannis, unbendable and misguided though he may be. I thought it was interesting that, although he respects him, he doesn't really like Ned. I wonder why that is? I find it interesting though because Ned basically died trying to put Stannis on the throne because it was the right thing to do. Maybe they were just too similar to get along?

Stannis. I believe he was really overshadowed when growing up, by the personalities of both Robert and Renly, and that made him bitter. Still, and paradoxically, to me he is the most likeable one.

I sometimes wonder if I don't have a soft spot for Stannis because of Maester Cressen. Your post above reminded me of his Prologue POV and how much he loved Stannis. I'm fairly certain I'll cry when they show his final scene on the show :(

:agree: I really like the character of Stannis, unbendable and misguided though he may be. I thought it was interesting that, although he respects him, he doesn't really like Ned. I wonder why that is? I find it interesting though because Ned basically died trying to put Stannis on the throne because it was the right thing to do. Maybe they were just too similar to get along?

I think his bitterness towards Robert rubs off on Ned because Ned was Robert's BFF. After all, Stannis never knew that Ned wanted him for king after Robert's death.

My favorite Baratheon brother? Renly. Stannis is just a stick in the mud. He can be unintentionally hilarious, but I don't like him much.

I think he resents Ned for being Robert's chosen brother. That and Ned got all the credit for breaking the siege at Storm's End when Stannis had to suffer through it. Kinda the "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!" syndrome.

I sometimes wonder if I don't have a soft spot for Stannis because of Maester Cressen. Your post above reminded me of his Prologue POV and how much he loved Stannis. I'm fairly certain I'll cry when they show his final scene on the show :(

I feel like the difference between Stannis and Renly/Robert is he has a select few who REALLY loved him.

Maester Cressen and Davos are the only ones I can think of right now :mellow:

but that sort of endears me to him, because Robert and Renly got so much love. Stannis was always made fun of, I always felt like everything thought he was sort of a joke...probably because he is such a stiff. LOL

I think he resents Ned for being Robert's chosen brother. That and Ned got all the credit for breaking the siege at Storm's End when Stannis had to suffer through it. Kinda the "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!" syndrome.

What an awesome way to put it, it's so true! I am now going to have an image in my head of Stannis dressed as a Brady boy, saying, "Ned, Ned, Ned!" :lmao:

I feel like the difference between Stannis and Renly/Robert is he has a select few who REALLY loved him.

Maester Cressen and Davos are the only ones I can think of right now :mellow:

but that sort of endears me to him, because Robert and Renly got so much love. Stannis was always made fun of, I always felt like everything thought he was sort of a joke...probably because he is such a stiff. LOL

Mmm hmm, you're right. I mean, pretty much everyone likes Renly, and obvs Loras loves him (oh, and Brienne!), and he easily gets the lords of the Reach and the Stormlands behind him.

On the other hand, poor Stannis is too rigid to be loved. But old Maester Cressen loves him, because he remembers the little boy he used to be, w/out his parents. :crying:

And Davos! God, I love him so much. He's so devoted to Stannis, even when Stannis has him put in the dungeons, etc. After stupid Ned Stark, Davos is the most honorable man in Westeros, IMO.

Mmm hmm, you're right. I mean, pretty much everyone likes Renly, and obvs Loras loves him (oh, and Brienne!), and he easily gets the lords of the Reach and the Stormlands behind him.

On the other hand, poor Stannis is too rigid to be loved. But old Maester Cressen loves him, because he remembers the little boy he used to be, w/out his parents. :crying:

And Davos! God, I love him so much. He's so devoted to Stannis, even when Stannis has him put in the dungeons, etc. After stupid Ned Stark, Davos is the most honorable man in Westeros, IMO.

Awww I know, it breaks my heart! :crying:

it's kind of interesting that those devoted to Stannis are so heartbreakingly so. maybe Stannis just don't know the love he's got! I don't want to say he doesn't deserve the love, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with it! The man does not seem to care about human emotions, that's why he's so tight with Melisandre since she seems so unhuman IMO.

Davos I agree...so presh. He's just a good guy. I'm glad he has survived thus far ^_^

Awww I know, it breaks my heart! :crying:

it's kind of interesting that those devoted to Stannis are so heartbreakingly so. maybe Stannis just don't know the love he's got! I don't want to say he doesn't deserve the love, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with it! The man does not seem to care about human emotions, that's why he's so tight with Melisandre since she seems so unhuman IMO.

Davos I agree...so presh. He's just a good guy. I'm glad he has survived thus far ^_^

He's so bitter about what he doesn't have (Robert preferring Ned over him, pretty much everyone preferring Renly over him) that he doesn't value what he does have. Plus he dwells on things...like Robert sleeping w/that Florent girl in Stannis' marriage bed. He seems to think their marriage is cursed b/c of that, and that's why he and his wife can't have a son. Umm, nope, pretty sure it's b/c you only sleep with her once or twice a year. Get over it, Stan.

Mel seems very inhuman to me as well, or at least she did until ADWD. I still don't like her, but I feel like I have some hints as to what her deal is now.

Davos :) Oh Davos, I just want to squeeze him!

He's so bitter about what he doesn't have (Robert preferring Ned over him, pretty much everyone preferring Renly over him) that he doesn't value what he does have. Plus he dwells on things...like Robert sleeping w/that Florent girl in Stannis' marriage bed. He seems to think their marriage is cursed b/c of that, and that's why he and his wife can't have a son. Umm, nope, pretty sure it's b/c you only sleep with her once or twice a year. Get over it, Stan.

Mel seems very inhuman to me as well, or at least she did until ADWD. I still don't like her, but I feel like I have some hints as to what her deal is now.

Davos :) Oh Davos, I just want to squeeze him!

Yeah, seriously. It's not Roberts fault your wife has a moustache and you're repelled by her.

I want to squeeze D-man as well :D

out of all the characters, he is the only one I would actually want to know. Love him 4 ever.

Robert for me.

He knew how to fight, he knew how to command, and he knew how to whore.

Talk about enjoying the spoils of war. The man would not have lived long naturally anyway, so he went out fucking boars and slaying whores. Or was it the other way around...?

I LOVE ALL THREE!

BARATHEONS FTW!!!

Robert was the greatest fighter of his era and the kind of guy you'd like to have a drink with, Stannis has the best one liners in the seven kingdoms and is a genius naval commander, Renly was comely and courtly and could have grown into a good ruler had he had the chance.

They're all awesome.

Archived