Could Sandor Clegane be a warg?

daisyberisha

No, he used a special poison. The waif shows it to Arya, it can drive men and beasts mad.

ahh thats too bad, would have been an interesting side note if the faceless could warg.

I doubt he's a warg. Some people just get on really well with animals :)

On the other hand, I am nursing a crackpot theory that Dunk had a liaison in the north, maybe with Young Nan, and some of the offspring from that managed to marry into Houses Clegane and Tarth. Maybe there were some northern warg genes along with the ones for freakish height? (Of course, this hits at least an 8 on the lunacy scale. :cheers: )

The Dunk/Young Nan liason is not so crackpot, the next Dunk&Egg takes place at Winterfell. And Brienne does paint her shield to match Dunks, so there is definitely something there. The only thing I don't like about your theory is that Gregor would be Dunks descendant as well :worried:

The Dunk/Young Nan liason is not so crackpot, the next Dunk&Egg takes place at Winterfell. And Brienne does paint her shield to match Dunks, so there is definitely something there. The only thing I don't like about your theory is that Gregor would be Dunks descendant as well :worried:

There's a black sheep in every family :thumbsup: GRRM says Dunk does have descendants in 'modern-day' Westeros and he's popped in a clue, so I think the shield makes it a pretty safe bet that Brienne is a relative.

"Then there came a brown-haired girl slender as a spear who stood on the tips of her toes to kiss the lips of a young knight as tall as Hodor."

If Dunk got his schmex on in the north, he has to be great-grandsire to everyone's favourite Walder. Bring on the next story :)

It's always seemed a bit weird to me that the Bros Clegane, who are basically servants of the Lannisters, come out of nowhere to be such prominent side-characters, in a series where everyone else is a member of the high nobility. The Hound is practically a surrogate protagonist in Arya's ASOS chapters.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if they've got some sort of quiet connection to one of the other families, maybe through bastardy or something.

Ehh. I'm not so sure about the warg Sandor theory. He's so into being a realist that, if he DID have wargish tendencies, I think he'd repress them with all his might. And, if he couldn't, I think he'd die of alcohol poisoning.

I think Sansa's always got a dog around her as a subtle reminder of the Hound, since he's dropped out of the narrative for now. If she was actively thinking about him ALL the time, it would interfere with her ability to keep her wits about with her LF, Sweetrobin, et al. So the dogs are just a call-back to her connection to Sandor.

One more dog connection. Just read Arya's chapter where she runs away from Harwin. Before that happens, she's getting the lowdown on the BwB, and hears something from Harwin about people joining the band who have dogs. She thinks something to herself along the lines of "I wish I had a ferocious killer dog." Interesting because she does get this wish, just not quite in the same way she as thinking of it!

Love how GRRM weaves in all these little connections!

Ah, welcome to Westeros.org, where a million lovely theories bloom in cracked pots ...

Seriously, though, I don't think it likely that Sandor (or any other child from a noble/noblish household) could be a fully developed warg. It's considered an abomination, after all, so any child with warging tendencies who grows up surrounded by maesters, septons/septas, servants, masters-at/arms and whatnot would soon be - mm - discouraged from it.

After all, the main reason why someone like Arya or presumably Rickon can expand their warging abilities is because they are/were practically feral. Wargs south of the Wall are more likely to be found among the urchins of Flea Bottom, I would assume - and they would know better than to use their abilities publicly.

I don't think the Hound is a warg...there are many reasons why I doubt that he is...among them being the fact that, other than Stranger, he has no beast to warg in to. And anyway, it seems like most of the warg population (that we know about) comes from either the North or Beyond the Wall (Bran, Arya,& Jon, and the wildlings: Varamyr Sixskins, Haggon, Borroq, and Briar). I'm not saying that in order to be a warg you have to be from the North or Beyond the Wall, but I do think that it has something to do with the Old Gods (the weirwoods). So it makes sense to me that wargs only come from places where the Old Gods are still kept, ie the in North and Beyond the Wall. House Clegane are sworn to Casterly Rock so its safe to say they don't keep the Old Gods; ergo, the Hound is no warg

I don't think warging has anything to do with the old gods. Isn't it linked to the blood of First Men? Which is pretty exclusive to the North.

Warging seems to be the low-calorie version of greenseeing, which is tied up with the weirwoods, which are in turn sacred to the Old Gods, who tend only to be worshipped by the First Men, who have mainly survived culturally in the North. I don't think the relationship between them all has been made particularly clear yet.

The Brackens and the Blackwoods are both descendants of the First Men, but the Blackwoods kept the Old Gods and the Brackens adopted the Seven. The Blackwoods produced Bloodraven, but we've heard nothing about any Bracken wargs so far.

Fellow SAN/SAN youve all heard the rebellion is in full swing several threads have flocked to our cause we need more banner men if were going to fight Aerys the mad moderators join us the time is now.

Since ASOS I've been convinced Sandor is a warg because there is some evidence of him warging into Stranger.

When he has Arya and is running from the BWB Arya mentions that he sleeps in his saddle all the time. Why would Sandor be doing this when he is on the run from an undead leader of a bunch of people who tried to kill him and want Arya back? Surely it's more prudent for Sandor to keep awake and alert unless he is warging into Stranger to keep moving and find the best means to keep ahead of them.

As for the argument that only the Starks are wargs what about Varamyr Sixskins? The Cleganes are not your typical Andals, they are described to be more like the First Men.

Sandor would be a perfect candidate for being a warg. He's a loner, he doesn't seem to have any friends and as a kid with his burned face and psycho brother he probably only had animals for companionship. Given the dogs are even afraid to enter the hall (Ned AGOT) he's probably had a lot to do with horses.

This is a bit offtopic but I love the way he labels people as animals as well. He calls himself a dog, Tyrions a twisted little monkey demon, Sansa's a little bird, Arya's a she wolf and Boros Blount is a toad.

Hi brashcandy! Do you know about our new thread in the Forum Games section? Find us! We rose again, harder and stronger! With a little help of course ;)

EDIT: unless you're already on there...forgive me, I haven't been paying very close attn. tonight!

Is that where it went?! I was looking for those awesomely striking ALL CAPITAL LETTERS on the board yesterday and could not believe that the S.A.T. had gone lower than page 5 ... that explains it. Where is it now? And why did they move it?

Is that where it went?! I was looking for those awesomely striking ALL CAPITAL LETTERS on the board yesterday and could not believe that the S.A.T. had gone lower than page 5 ... that explains it. Where is it now? And why did they move it?

Look in Forum Games. :lmao:

Because ICE CROW and Odendisa were talking about a bird with Tit in its name. You can see why the mods got fed up with us. :rolleyes:

We're in forum games, our thread has Sandor's name in it. ;)

Come play with us Tully! I believe FG and Alexia have answered where we're at.

This is a bit offtopic but I love the way he labels people as animals as well. He calls himself a dog, Tyrions a twisted little monkey demon, Sansa's a little bird, Arya's a she wolf and Boros Blount is a toad.

Thanks for pointing this out, even if it is off topic :) I think he feels more comfortable around animals than other people...animals don't stare or ask rude questions about his face, or fear him, like Sansa. All his bluster, drinking, crude talk is just a cover for how insecure, unhappy and mentally messed up he is. No need for any of that around animals...

Thanks for pointing this out, even if it is off topic :) I think he feels more comfortable around animals than other people...animals don't stare or ask rude questions about his face, or fear him, like Sansa. All his bluster, drinking, crude talk is just a cover for how insecure, unhappy and mentally messed up he is. No need for any of that around animals...

You totally just made Sandor more wubbified to me. :wub:

Archived