Moments that make you angry

Elenya Westerling

Lysa Arryn's part in Littlefinger's conspiracy: killing Jon Arryn, blaming Tyrion for it, putting her sister's family in danger... pretty much everything Lysa ever did.

Sansa betraying Ned to Cersei, and Ned being killed.

The Red Wedding

Anything Gregor Clegane does

Jamie Lannister having his sword hand taken off was dissapointing, whether you like the character or not, for he was arguably the best swordsman in the realm, so it goes down as a loss to the series.

Personally, I like his character, in that he is very human - he made a great deal of mistakes and was (perhaps) lacking in loyalty, yet grew out of that selfish mould throughout the series. He now appears to reject all he once was, which makes for a character with a true arc. It's also hard not to appreciate his sharp sense of humour and his brutal honesty.

Oberyn losing (arguably) to the Mountain was slightly dissapointing also, although he did get his revenge.

Tyrion awakening after the Blackwater battle to find the "...game had changed..." was frustrating, considering how hard he worked to set Joffrey and his sister's tyrannies to right before-hand.

Sansa Stark is a constant source of frustration, and yet a wonderful foil to play against in order to show how unromantic the world of Westeros is.

Arya's numerous kidnappings became irritating also, especially since she came so close to being reuinited with her mother.

Ser Alliser makes me angry whenever he puts in an appearance, as does Cersei, a truly loathsome character and one I'm looking forward to waving goodbye to.

Shae's testimony against Tyrion absolutely infuriated me. Yes, of course she was bribed/coerced by Cersei, but I doubt Cersei had to work very hard. And Shae knew about Tysha, so she must have known how doubly devastating her betrayal would be to Tyrion.

I can't decide which made me happier: Tyrion murdering Shae, or Tyrion murdering Tywin.

:agree:

Would you care to decide here? Is she bad because she didn't stay in Winterfell or because she didn't march to KL to save her daughters?

:tantrum:

I've learned early enough that that is still the biggest crime any character has ever done in this books.

Because she didn't do either - realistically, she could have tried a LOT harder with Robb to convince him that this whole war did not matter, to give up Jaime in exchange for Robb's sisters - she could have fought constantly for this, from the beginning. It completely infuriated me that she could almost forsake them.

Re: Catelyn's despicable treatment of Jon

Did I say it was the worst crime any character has ever committed in these books?

It still made me furious and was absolutely disgusting. That she could be that vile to him his whole life, never calling by his name until the moment she said she wished it had been him who fell; treating him so cruelly and coldly his whole life for something that was never his fault... a person who takes such anger and vindictiveness out at someone who is not to blame is vile IMO.

Joff shreiking the decree to bring him Ned's head. Joff celebrating upon the news of Robb and Cat's death. Tywin shrugging off the red wedding as "a pair of wolfskins", Davos losing his 4 sons on the blackwater, Gregor killing the Dornish prince,

Tywin stealing Ned's sword and giving one to Joff and the other to Jamie, the abduction and eventual murder by neglect of lady Hornwood by the Bolton Bastard, Dany- when she refers to Starks as the userper's "dogs", whenever a Frey speaks or smirks, littlefinger's existence. I am sure there are others but I cannot think of them right now.

in addition to an earlier list i posted:

defintely caelyn's treatment of jon snow. it was bad. i can understand her anger, but the idea of taking it out on a child is despicable even worse because she's a mother. but one could argue this was something that had to be since jon snow had a destiny separate from his half siblings. winterfell was not to be his place and sadly it had to be catelyn's cruelty to keep jon from forming to close an attachment to a place he would have to leave and probably never see again.

but it still is maddening.

and the sack of king's landing by tywin lannister and his bannerman. especially the murder of rhaegar's children and the rape-murder of their mother. and the later display of their bodies as a gift for robert by tywin.

ser jorah carrying a then pregnant daenerys into the tent after having been told not to disturb mirri maz dur while she was doing her blood magic to save drogo.

Joff shreiking the decree to bring him Ned's head. Joff celebrating upon the news of Robb and Cat's death. Tywin shrugging off the red wedding as "a pair of wolfskins", Davos losing his 4 sons on the blackwater, Gregor killing the Dornish prince,

Tywin stealing Ned's sword and giving one to Joff and the other to Jamie, the abduction and eventual murder by neglect of lady Hornwood by the Bolton Bastard, Dany- when she refers to Starks as the userper's "dogs", whenever a Frey speaks or smirks, littlefinger's existence. I am sure there are others but I cannot think of them right now.

These.

As well as the mutilation and desecration of Robb and Catelyn's corpses, and every moment that Ramsay Snow isn't in excruciating pain / dead.

I don't get the Catelyn hate. People who hate her seem to think she's to blame for EVERYTHING and that she is probably The Great Other. Come ON people, did you read the same book I did?

She RIGHTLY advises Robb to NOT send Theon to parley with the Ironborn, but Robb ignores her. So it's Robb's fault that everybody thinks Bran and Rickon are dead, NOT CAT'S. Theon never could have taken Winterfell if Robb hadn't sent him back to the Iron Islands. This pissed me off royally.

Catelyn did free Jaime, though I don't blame her for this. It sets in motion the event that changes Jaime forever - losing his sword hand. It sets up his redemption arc. It also sets up Brienne being given part of Ice that Lord Tywin had given to Jaime (which Jaime was royally insulted by). Now one of the Stark's has the ability to at least get back part of Ice, their family Valyrian blade that had been in their possession for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Ned trusting Littlefinger pissed me off. He knew LF still loved Cat, he KNEW LF TOLD HIM NOT TO TRUST HIM, yet he does anyway. IDIOT! I was very upset when Ned was beheaded, however. I did admire his honor and his courage in standing up to King Robert when he ordered Dany killed. I just wish he'd gotten back to Winterfell before the King changed his mind....sigh.

Jaime pissed me off when he told Tyrion the truth about Tysha...what an awful, horrid thing to do to your brother.

And Twyin deserved the worst death imaginable - his final words to Tyrion made me think his death was justified ("Where did she go?" "Wherever whores go" = ASSHOLE. And arranging the gang rape...ugh, don't get me started. Poor Tysha.)

Twyin ordering the deaths of Rhaenys, Aegon, Elia getting raped and murdered, all this infuriates me. And Robert deserves blame for this for sitting there like he's all relieved - asshole. Eddard was right to quarrel with him over it.

Tywin's general approval and ordering of brutality by The Mountain (Gregor) and his other minions also makes me think of him as a Hitler type jackass. Sure, he's a great strategist and a competent war leader. But that doesn't make him good. His sanction of rape, mutilation, and murder (ie Pia) is beyond redemption.

Tywin also angers me when he tells Tyrion that he can't have Casterly Rock, and says something along the lines of "I can't disown you just because I can't prove you're not mine, and YOU KILLED MY BELOVED WIFE!" Blaming an infant for their mother dying in childbirth? For real? Blame yourself for knocking her up in the first place.

Tywin was fucking Shae, and she deserved to die too, for mocking Tyrion and testifying against him. Stupid bitch. I know she didn't love him and was playing a role, but he kept her safe, damnit, and he treated her well, and gave her plenty of money.

And Shae betrayed him and publicly humiliated him. Tywin fucking her was disgusting, and an even worse betrayal. She was simply a gold-digging whore and moved onto Tyrion's daddy, who had more gold and more power, despite the fact Tyrion cared for her and treated her well. Ugh, I just hate Shae. Just my opinion.

Oberyn not winning the trial by combat also infuriated me. Why didn't he just STEP ASIDE AND LET THE MOUNTAIN DIE?! It's not that hard! UGH.

It also pissed me off that Cersei blames Tyrion for pretty much everything, after Joffrey's death (which he had no part in). Later in her POVs we see her paranoia that he's creeping around the castle walls. Geez lady, get a freakin shrink.

When she actually tries to have Ser Bronn killed JUST FOR NAMING HIS STEP BABY TYRION, it infuriated me. Can't the woman pick her battles? It's just a freakin name. And then when it gets flubbed, she throws a highborn lady into the dungeon just so she can't gossip about it.

Cersei in general pisses me off because of her blindness (mainly due to Maggy's prophesy) and her sluttery, and her misogyny. At least Jaime has only slept with her...she uses him like a freaking tool. I'm glad Jaime realizes this, eventually, when he crumples and burns her letter for help.

Cersei replacing the council with "yes men" also pissed me off. She is just an idiot - she should be smart enough to realize that alienating the Tyrells is a dumb move (they have a huge army in the city, and the smallfolk LOVE Margery).

Cersei should have listened to her Uncle Kevan and gone back to Casterly Rock. She could have been Lady of the Rock, and that's quite a bit of power (even if she IS juuuust a useless woman, as she often thinks to herself).

Cersei's walk of shame was poetic justice. for me..and shows she isn't as "HAWT" as she thinks she is. Saggy breasts, stretch marks, and age all take their toll. Beauty fades...too bad she didn't realize that.

Arya is a good foil for Cersei, in that she NEVER hates the fact that she's a female. She just decides to break societal conventions and says Bugger that to anyone who tries to make her into a "little lady".

I love Arya's spirit and her statement to Eddard that being a "Lady" wasn't her.

IMHO, If Cersei had been anything like Arya, instead of hating her entire gender because she viewed them as weak, she'd have been happier and less evil.

Why didn't she learn how to sword fight, like Arya? Why not be like Brienne? Perhaps Tywin was less tolerant than Eddard in letting his children be who they were. But Cersei still could have learned in secret, instead of becoming a blatant misogynist.

The only reason Cersei fucks Jaime is because she sees her own reflection in him, and WISHES SHE COULD BE HIM (at least while he still had his swordhand). Cersei is the definition of a blatant narcissist. Most of the things she does piss me off.

I wanted to yell at "Cat of the Canals" when she encountered Sam and didn't ask about John. I know she's supposed to be "no one" but I hate that for her character.

She is Arya Stark of Winterfell, powerful warg, decent Waterdancer, and incredibly adept escaping from bad situations/places. I don't want her to become "no one". I want her to remember who she is, and not give up on being a Stark.

ETA: Spelling mistakes, and to apologize for the Wall of Text. Sorry if it's TL;DR. :blushing:

look at it this way, it will make his eventual death all the sweeter. especially if her to die either by the hand of theon greyjoy (victim) and by daenerys targaryen or even fm arya stark (both women which were his usual target).

*edit

i'm referring to the bastard, of course.

When Marillion decides to be really loud in the inn, thus drawing Catelyn's attention to Tyrion and in theory kickstarting the whole war of the five kings. Infact any scene with him in gets me pretty annoyed on a par with Edmure feelings towards Tom O Sevenstrings

:agree:

Marillion deserved what he got from LF, even though I think LF is a perv. He was a creepy asshole, and Lysa keeping him around was even creepier/weirder. When he tried to rape Sansa (well, he was groping her, probably would've tried had Luthor not stopped him), I wanted her to have needle and shove it up his smug arse.

Because she didn't do either - realistically, she could have tried a LOT harder with Robb to convince him that this whole war did not matter, to give up Jaime in exchange for Robb's sisters - she could have fought constantly for this, from the beginning. It completely infuriated me that she could almost forsake them.

This hate starts to be amusing. Not to mention that she did try harder and didn't forsake them. She freed Jaime eventually to exchange him for her daughters. Robb refused to listen to her but you can not say that she didn't try hard enough in this Jaime/her daughters case.

But, it doesn't matter, does it? Because Catelyn will be hated no matter what she did or did not do or could have done. She is hated because she did not stay in Winterfell. No, she is hated because she stayed with Robb but didn't try harder. No, she is hated because she tried a little bit too hard. Then, she's hated because she left Bran in Winterfell. No, she is hated because she spent weeks beside his bed praying for him. She is hated because she thinks only of herself. No, she is hated because she whines about her fears for her children and family.

It seems pointless to me, really.

Re: Catelyn's despicable treatment of Jon

Did I say it was the worst crime any character has ever committed in these books?

It still made me furious and was absolutely disgusting. That she could be that vile to him his whole life, never calling by his name until the moment she said she wished it had been him who fell; treating him so cruelly and coldly his whole life for something that was never his fault... a person who takes such anger and vindictiveness out at someone who is not to blame is vile IMO.

I said that as a sarcastic response to Jon fanboyism around the forum. Poor little Jon, he had such a horrible life, anyone who dares to confront him or do not like him must be evil and condemn to death. Yeah, whatever.

I like Cat, I do. I am aware of her flaws and bad decisions. Her hate towards Jon I understand. I don't really approve it but I understand. TBH, if GRRM had made her to be very nice and endearing to Jon it would have been very unrealistic. You can go and say as much as you want how it wasn't fair to Jon. It wasn't, true. Not his fault. But, you know what? People are not robots. Her behavior towards Jon wasn't really good but so understandable and even predictable when it comes to human nature. For what it worths, she could have been a lo lot worse towards him. In Cersei and Tywin kind of way, for example.

I any case, hate Cat as much as you like, your choice. But those people who are ready to describe her as a worst and most evil person in Westeros, selfish bitch and so on, frighten me a little bit with their moral standards.

Arya is a good foil for Cersei, in that she NEVER hates the fact that she's a female. She just decides to break societal conventions and says Bugger that to anyone who tries to make her into a "little lady".

I love Arya's spirit and her statement to Eddard that being a "Lady" wasn't her.

Arya is not frustrated for being a girl but I have a feeling that she would choose to be a boy any time.

Why didn't she learn how to sword fight, like Arya? Why not be like Brienne? Perhaps Tywin was less tolerant than Eddard in letting his children be who they were. But Cersei still could have learned in secret, instead of becoming a blatant misogynist.

The only reason Cersei fucks Jaime is because she sees her own reflection in him, and WISHES SHE COULD BE HIM (at least while he still had his swordhand). Cersei is the definition of a blatant narcissist. Most of the things she does piss me off.

Cersei is not interested in sword fighting. She wants to be a man for all the power and respect they get in Westeros. They are seen as Lords and Commanders and leaders and she, even though she comes from a great House, is nothing more than somebody's wife or mother, first subordinated to her father and later to her husband.

Archived