What is your top 'Man, Joffrey is a douche' moment?

Lord Jon Connington

LittleSpider is still a better person than me

Aw, shucks, go on!

Really though, all I said was that I didn't wish death on the villains. :devil:

The faster those irritating BwB guys croak, hopefully via a Brienne/Jaime/Pod dream team or, even better

GREY PLAGUE!

well, the happier I'll be.

Did somebody already say this earlier? Regardless, here goes: I sorta miss Joffrey. He was such a small-minded, douchey little shit. His antics were just a wee bit amusing, in addition to being sadistic enough that you love to hate him.

Now we have to deal with the likes of Ramsay. Joff at least made me laugh at him when he was douchey. Ramsay just makes me want to wrap in blankies and huddle whimpering in the corner.

Claude the Sweetling asks if anyone likes or will defend Joffrey.

I don't like him (sadistic bully and spoilt brat) , but I will defend his most detested action (Ned's execution) as not being an unreasonable act from his point of view.

We learn that Joffrey valued Robert's opinion more than his mother would have liked. Robert's opinion of Ned was that Ned was the best and most loyal friend ever. So immediately Robert dies, Ned plans to have Joffrey deposed and murdered along with his siblings. How about that for a betrayal of trust? We know it's not true, Cersei knows, but does Joffrey? He heard Ned order that the queen and her children be taken into custody, and presumably he belies his mother's lies.

So he's supposed to let this monster be sent off to take the black? Send him off on a long journey, much of which is through land loyal to the Starks, with every chance for him to escape or be rescued, and continue to conspire with Stannis? Even on the Wall, as posters have said before, there would be lots of pro-Stark people around, and Joffrey would not trust Ned's "honour" to keep out of politics.

Joffrey wants to assert himself as a strong king not dependent on his mother (understandable), wants to hurt Sansa (nasty) and doesn't want the vilest of traitors to live.

Of course, the fact that he earlier promised mercy if Ned confessed confirms he's not a nice guy, but still...

And although he is monstrous to Tyrion, almost the first thing Tyrion does to him in the series is hit him in the face (to teach him to console Ned and Catelyn after Bran's fall). The relationship was bad from both sides.

Claude the Sweetling asks if anyone likes or will defend Joffrey.

I don't like him (sadistic bully and spoilt brat) , but I will defend his most detested action (Ned's execution) as not being an unreasonable act from his point of view.

We learn that Joffrey valued Robert's opinion more than his mother would have liked. Robert's opinion of Ned was that Ned was the best and most loyal friend ever. So immediately Robert dies, Ned plans to have Joffrey deposed and murdered along with his siblings. How about that for a betrayal of trust? We know it's not true, Cersei knows, but does Joffrey? He heard Ned order that the queen and her children be taken into custody, and presumably he belies his mother's lies.

So he's supposed to let this monster be sent off to take the black? Send him off on a long journey, much of which is through land loyal to the Starks, with every chance for him to escape or be rescued, and continue to conspire with Stannis? Even on the Wall, as posters have said before, there would be lots of pro-Stark people around, and Joffrey would not trust Ned's "honour" to keep out of politics.

Joffrey wants to assert himself as a strong king not dependent on his mother (understandable), wants to hurt Sansa (nasty) and doesn't want the vilest of traitors to live.

Of course, the fact that he earlier promised mercy if Ned confessed confirms he's not a nice guy, but still...

And although he is monstrous to Tyrion, almost the first thing Tyrion does to him in the series is hit him in the face (to teach him to console Ned and Catelyn after Bran's fall). The relationship was bad from both sides.

*Gasps and points * JOFFREY SYMPATHISEEEEEEEEEEEEER!

Heh, a tougher question to answer would be "when is Joffrey NOT a douche."

GOT, Sansa's first chapter:

It was a glorious day, a magical day. The air was warm and heavy with the scent of flowers, and the woods here had a gentle beauty that Sansa had never seen in the north. Prince Joffrey’s mount was a blood bay courser, swift as the wind, and he rode it with reckless abandon, so fast that Sansa was hard-pressed to keep up on her mare. It was a day for adventures. They explored the caves by the riverbank, and tracked a shadowcat to its lair, and when they grew hungry, Joffrey found a holdfast by its smoke and told them to fetch food and wine for their prince and his lady. They dined on trout fresh from the river, and Sansa drank more wine than she had ever drunk before. “My father only lets us have one cup, and only at feasts,” she confessed to her prince.

“My betrothed can drink as much as she wants,” Joffrey said, refilling her cup.

They went more slowly after they had eaten. Joffrey sang for her as they rode, his voice high and sweet and pure.

I thought this was cute on my first read, Sansa and her prince having adventures. Joffrey didn't come off too well even then, but he didn't seem like a complete douche at that point either. But of course he had to go and ruin it right away. :rolleyes:

Well here goes nothing. (granted I'm just doing this for fun and wholeheartedly and completely despise Joffrey)

Joffrey is simply a misunderstood child. His "father" Robert has abandoned him and he just wants a good old-fashioned "Atta Boy" from his absent father figure. He was also a very curious child, Why should we hate him for being curious about a cat's reproductive system? He's simply a child who's ahead of his time.

As for Sansa, total bitch who totally got what she deserved. Her sister embarrassed Joffrey in front of the court, got his "uncle" Renly to laugh his ass off at Joffrey for losing his sword to a little girl, and then Sansa didn't even have the grace or courtesy to back her future husband's story, when any good wife should back her husband. Telling the court "Oh, I don't remember what happened". Total bitch move, she should have just been like "Yeah, Arya and that wretched Wolf monster cruelly attacked me and the valiant Prince, who was just trying to protect me."

As for Ned Stark, he also got what he deserved. He's a traitor, pure and simple. I promised him and Sansa mercy, and I gave it to him. People think me sending him to the Wall would be "merciful" and "just"? Are you guys crazy, do you have any idea what happens at the Wall? It's below zero degress, and there's freaking dead zombies walking around in the snow killing people. And you want me to send Ned Stark there? No, I'm a merciful ruler, I gave him a quick painless death.

As for Sansa and Tyrion and Robb Stark: Robb Stark is a traitor. My future wife failed me by not stopping Robb from being a rebel and winning battles. She should have intervened, gotten Robb to bend the knee. But no, she couldn't even do something that simple. She's also a total prude, and I just want to show my love for her. Since she won't get naked voluntarily, I had to get my King's Guard to help her get naked, just so I could show my love for her. Is that so wrong?

Furthermore, I still had feelings for Sansa when I was forced by family duty to marry Margaery Tyrell. I'm still in love with her, and I have to watch while my gross uncle is supposed to be having sex with her? NO way, I want to help my beautiful former wife be happy. If Tyrion isn't getting the job done in the bedroom, then I will help him get the job done to make my lover happy.

I'm the King. I can't allow my dwarf uncle to embarrass me in front of my whole court by making fun of my jousting skills. I had to embarrass him back. If I didn't, my power would be called into question and the Realm would suffer for it.

Ok, now I'm done, and I truly feel like a much worse human being lol.

I'm glad to see that many other people find his treatment of Tyrion's gift appalling and absolutely despicable.

I could never imagine humiliating someone as bad as he humiliated Tyrion and Sansa - on all occasions that he interacted with them. He was just an outrageously cruel, hateful piece of shit.

There are vicious actions many people in history have taken - that could very well be argued. As in, there was a "point" in their cruelty that existed outside of the act itself. They weren't cruel just for the sake of being cruel (if that makes sense).

Which, describes Joffrey to a tee. It seems that everything he did was done just for the sake of humiliating / being wicked to someone.

Everything Joffrey did was odious. I was completely done with him after the cat incident.

During his name day tournament (which was lame, which made me happy although I felt somewhat guilty admitting that to myself) Tyrion arrives back in KL with Bronn, etc. He offers his sympathies to Sansa and then says to Joffrey that he's sorry for his loss as well. Joffrey has no idea what he's talking about and Tyrion says, (paraphrase), "Your father? Big man with a black beard. You might remember him if you think hard enough." I generally think Joffrey wanted Robert to acknowledge him but he didn't seem to mourn his loss too much. That, or he's an idiot who couldn't figure out what Tyrion meant.

Most inhumane moment: Taking Sansa to see her own father's head mounted on a pike. I mean, I don't care what culture you're from. Who does this? I even choked back a scream when I saw it in the show.

Though, I identify the most strongly with his treatment of Tyrion at the wedding, because I know what it's like to be an outcast surrounded by a pack of wolves where you have to just smile and play along. (Survivor of the catholic middle school system here.) When Tyrion reached down to grab the wine chalice and Joff kicked it out the way and told him to hurry up and pick it up, my stomach clenched. The way he humiliates his own blood in public is abominable. And him cutting up the book Tyrion gave him was just inexcusably rude, whether the text was valuable or not.

In no particular order:

- His behaviour during the riot (Seriously? Your subjects are on the brink of revolting so you decide to kill a few? Brilliant idea.)

- Mocking Tommen, and whatever he did to Tommen that made him "go away"

- Destroying the book that Tyrion gave him, and probably all of his behaviour at that wedding

- The Fawn

- The kittens

- His part in Lady's death

- Threatening to rape Sansa

And I know that a lot of people won't agree with this, but I disagree with his treatment of the KG. He dismissed one member, and then commanded the others to beat a defenceless young girl. Were the members of the KG wrong for beating Sansa? Yeah. Should they have spoken against it? Maybe. Realistically, though, how could they? They were sworn to obey the King, and they'd already seen that they could be dismissed suddenly. Still mostly douches, but Joffrey didn't leave them much choice.

And I know that a lot of people won't agree with this, but I disagree with his treatment of the KG. He dismissed one member, and then commanded the others to beat a defenceless young girl. Were the members of the KG wrong for beating Sansa? Yeah. Should they have spoken against it? Maybe. Realistically, though, how could they? They were sworn to obey the King, and they'd already seen that they could be dismissed suddenly. Still mostly douches, but Joffrey didn't leave them much choice.

Doesn't even Tywin at some point say that the role of the King's Hand (?) is to protect the king from himself if need be? (I think this was in SoS; will have to go back and check.) Granted the position of hand is very different from the role of the KG, but I have to wonder if we might think of it in the same way. For the most part, all of the KG members in active duty that we've seen have been pulpy douches. They're also sworn to obey the king, but the king is a minor. We see the Hound make some vague noises of dissent, and then Arys at first refuses but then gives in to beating Sansa. Not cool in my book.

The beating of Sansa is an interesting what-if case: I'd have loved to see what would have happened if Joffrey have given that order had Jaime or especially Barristan the Bold been in the Kingsguard then. Never in a million years would Barristan have consented to beat her.

Boros and Meryn really enjoyed it though. As far as I can see, the only KG who really had a problem with the beatings were Arys and Sandor. I was rereading one of those scenes and amazed by how much of a coward Boros in particular is (KL riot, anyone?) yet how much pleasure he took in asserting physical power over helpless Sansa and his attempts at threatening a dwarf he perceived as physically weaker than he is. In a series full of villains, Boros stands out as a particularly despicable one. Pretty well written for such a minor character.

I sincerely doubt he put all this thinking into his decision.

Archived