Most cowardly character(s) of the series?

Melpomene

Since topics have been brought up about characters that did the biggest stupid mistakes, acted the most smart, percieved as the most unnerving and appeared as the most badass - In connection, would be curious to know what people think are the most cowardly characters. And I do mean true cowardness.

(My apologies if this topic has been mentioned already, did a google search and didn't find anything!)

Sam. I mean, what's more cowardly than admitting your cowardly??

Sam =/= coward

He's afraid of almost everything, but he does not back down when push comes to shove. As Ned so famously said, the only time a man can be brave is when he's afraid.

I mean, c'mon. Sam killed a freaking Other!

Sam =/= coward

He's afraid of almost everything, but he does not back down when push comes to shove. As Ned so famously said, the only time a man can be brave is when he's afraid.

Yes, but when you dont have confidence in yourself, your self-esteem is already dirt low.

I think I'd be tempted to say Aerys.

He's lived his entire life being completely guarded, and even though he had the protection of the KG and the GC, he felt like he needed hostages from every family as reassurance, and he didn't leave the Red Keep for years.

Aerys was not a coward, he was mad. When your crazy, all hell breaks loose. By the way, what you refered to is being paranoid. Not nessecarily coward. Parnoid comes from being mentally ill. Cowardness comes from lack of self-confidence :)

Aerys was not a coward, he was mad. When your crazy, all hell breaks loose. By the way, what you refered to is being paranoid. Not nessecarily coward. Parnoid comes from being mentally ill. Cowardness comes from lack of self-confidence :)

Uh, no.

According to the OED:

Coward: a person who is contemptibly lacking in the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

Nothing to do with self confidence. Cowards may often lack confidence, but that doesn't mean that someone who is ultimately brave cannot also have low self-esteem.

ETA: So, who would I consider a coward?

Viserys.

ETA: So, who would I consider a coward?

Viserys.

Warning: This next statment that I am about to make might be highly biased due to the fact that Viserys Targaryen is one of my top, if not the most, favorite character in the whole series. HELL NOOOO!!!!

But, in serouisness (you can tell Im bad with spelling by now, right?) Viserys, IMO, is in the same category with Aerys. He is mad. Crazy people are paranoid, not cowards.

Warning: This next statment that I am about to make might be highly biased due to the fact that Viserys Targaryen is one of my top, if not the most, favorite character in the whole series. HELL NOOOO!!!!

But, in serouisness (you can tell Im bad with spelling by now, right?) Viserys, IMO, is in the same category with Aerys. He is mad. Crazy people are paranoid, not cowards.

I'll give you that Viserys is mad - but not on the same level as his father. We only saw flashes of madness. His mistreatment of Dany was not the work of a madman. It was the work of a selfish person manipulating someone weaker than him. Also, pulling a sword in Vaes Dothrak, where no one else is carrying a sword? On the one hand, you could call it madness, or you could call it cowardice. A weak person taking the advantage because he can't bear to face anyone on an even footing.

ETA: I actually like Viserys as a character. Doesn't stop me from calling a spade a spade.

I'll give you that Viserys is mad - but not on the same level as his father. We only saw flashes of madness. His mistreatment of Dany was not the work of a madman. It was the work of a selfish person manipulating someone weaker than him. Also, pulling a sword in Vaes Dothrak, where no one else is carrying a sword? On the one hand, you could call it madness, or you could call it cowardice. A weak person taking the advantage because he can't bear to face anyone on an even footing.

ETA: I actually like Viserys as a character. Doesn't stop me from calling a spade a spade.

Well, if your in his position, resorting to selling your sister so you can retain your rightful throne back, having the leader of a powerful army simply ignore your agreement, and then having your SISTER ignore you. Who wouldn't go crazy?

Well, if your in his position, resorting to selling your sister so you can retain your rightful throne back, having the leader of a powerful army simply ignore your agreement, and then having your SISTER ignore you. Who wouldn't go crazy?

I'm not talking about his selling her in marriage. That was a political move that was actually quite shrewd.

I'm talking about all the times he hit her, threatened her, abused her. Even before Drogo "ignored" their agreement.

Sorry, but I cannot agree with your assessment of him. :dunno:

Sam =/= coward

:agree: :thumbsup:

Sam is most definitely not a coward. Over and over he faces situations where he is scared shitless, but he takes a deep breath and does whatever it is that scares him. Hell - if that ain't bravery what is?

Charging in regardless and feeling no fear isn't bravery. It’s arrogance, it's needlessly putting other people in danger, it’s sheer stupidity; but it is NOT bravery!

:agree: :thumbsup:

I also think being mentally ill isn't cowardice. If someone strapped you to a table, and injected you full of chemicals that made you very sacred, would that make you a coward? Well that’s the situation people are mentally ill are faced with - except it is the damaged or malfunctioning parts of their brain that do the injecting. The only time I'd call this contemptible is if the person deliberately did the damaging themselves (e.g. by repeatedly knocking off brain cells with wayyy to much alcohol).

So who do i think is a coward - Alliser Thorne. anyone who gets his jollies by tormenting people who absolutely can't fight back is a coward in my eyes.

Archived