Confused. Help?

Mildrid

She thinks that by making Myrcella Queen, Myrcella will reward her by making her Princess of Dorne, thus foiling what she believes are her father's plans to pass over her for his son, Quentyn.

Of course, this hinges on her actually being able to crown Myrcella, which Doran (and later Illyrio) point out is impossible. And her father wasn't plotting against her anyways.

The idea behind crowning Myrcella was forcing the Iron Throne to act against Dorne. Arianne was angry at her father because Doran stayed hidden in the Water Gardens and did nothing. And if the Iron Throne attacked Dorne, Doran would have no other option than striking back.

It was not the best of the plans, but it satisfied Arianne's short-term ambitions: if they won, either Dorne became independent or a grateful Myrcella was crowned with they support. If the much more likely scenario that they didn't, at least she would have had some blood, carnage and chances to avenge Oberyn. But anyway, since Doran was unfit to fight, she would have had the chance to lead the Dornish armies in the war.

ETA: It has to be remembered that since they repelled the Dareon I's armies 150 years ago, the Dornish consider themselves unbeatable when fighting at home. They believe that using guerrilla tactics and ambushing the supply lines in the mountain passes and the deserts they can beat much superior armies without difficulties.

Yeah, the whole Dorne storyline focuses on those who wants War against The Iron Throne and their schemes to start the war, thinking Lannisters must pay for Oberyn's death in ASoS. And I also remember the idea of Dornish crowning Myrcella was planted in ASoS, but can't find the exact part now.

I must add, that "you were supposed to marry Viserys" revelation was so good closing the Dorne story.

Archived