The Official Cersei Lannister Appreciation thread II

Zar Lannister

Also OT a bit, but while we are waiting for WOW ... If you love these types of authors, Margaret George is splendid (fictional, but as dead on to fact as possible in novels, and she has done Henry VIII, Mary of Scots, Mary Magdalene, Cleopatra, and Elizabeth I), and Patricia Finney, who also writes under PF Chisholm, of the Elizabethan period. All absolutely addictive page turners. I wish George would do a medieval person - perhaps Elinor if Aquitaine - because you learn absolute tons about the periods in her works.

I love Margaret Georges' books, just had to mention ^_^

Another author in that vein I like is Jean Plaidy. She has doen Eleanor of Aquitaine as well as all the Tudor wives, Margaret and Mary, King Henry's sisters, and Henry's daughters Mary and Elizabeth. Still, there's even more. She is very prolific.

Interestingly, you could almost say that Anne was the Cersei of her time. Married to a man she never wanted to marry in the first place, trying to make the best use for herself of a bad situation, accused of fornication and incest. Difference of course was that Anne, while documentedly flirtatious, was almost certainly innocent; but many people hated her so much for the splits from Katherine and Rome that they were at minimum not inclined to pity her, at worst willing to believe the accusations, however conveniently fabricated. Anne, too, was a woman born out of her time, who paid the ultimate price for it. We have yet to see whether Cersei will.

Ignoring the personality differences I'd actually think that of Henry's wives, Cersei represents Katherine Howard most.

Of course the biggest parallel I see in history for Cersei is Elizabeth Woodville.

What do you think would have happened to Cersei if Joff had lived? He and his mother both have heads of pure rock, and Cersei would have hated having to give up the Regent's power. Plus I can frankly quite easily see Joff having his mother beaten around the castle by his KG if she pissed him off, once he came of age.

Would she have resented Marg and tried to do away with her if she had been Joff's wife instead of Tommen's? Would Tywin have been able to control his monstrous little jackass of a grandson, or ended up on a spike himself? It seems commonly agreed that Joff would have been one of the worst kings ever seen, in terms of ruling. How do you think his family situation would have gone? Murdering Tommen, maybe, to eliminate any possible competition for Joff's future sons? Does not sound beyond him.

I think the entire Seven Kingdoms of Westeros should pitch in and craft medals for the Queen of Thorns, Margaery and Littlefinger for ridding them of the future Aerys III, or even worse than Aerys. The only thing they did wrong was make Sansa the unwilling patsy and poison-delivery girl, which was unnecesary (Margaery had many demure, cute young maiden cousins) and presumably Littlefinger's idea to make her dependent on him.

Joffrey would have been a horror, to lords and smallfolk alike, if he had reached his majority. Tywin would have been killed by him unless he managed to strike first and have Joffrey killed (maybe Tywin and Tyrion would have collaborated on that chore; or Tywin would have orchestrated the deed and framed Tyrion for it). Joffrey would probably have killed his mother and Tommen, but maybe let Myrcella live (or not, the Dornish could have used her to rise against his reign)...

What do you think would have happened to Cersei if Joff had lived? He and his mother both have heads of pure rock, and Cersei would have hated having to give up the Regent's power. Plus I can frankly quite easily see Joff having his mother beaten around the castle by his KG if she pissed him off, once he came of age.

I don't see Joff abusing his mother. I see him idolizing her, even if he thinks her a weak and feeble woman. There is a historical comparison somewhere, but I'm having a hard time remembering it. Ah well.

Would she have resented Marg and tried to do away with her if she had been Joff's wife instead of Tommen's? Would Tywin have been able to control his monstrous little jackass of a grandson, or ended up on a spike himself? It seems commonly agreed that Joff would have been one of the worst kings ever seen, in terms of ruling. How do you think his family situation would have gone? Murdering Tommen, maybe, to eliminate any possible competition for Joff's future sons? Does not sound beyond him.

Cersei DEFINITELY would have resented Marg (I think she already kinda did when Joff married her, but we weren't in her head then). Tywin would have laid the smackdown, Joff would have probably ended up Tywin 2.0 with a little more sadism. Tywin would have shaped him to be a little wiser, less impulsive. But not one whit less cruel.

Poor Tommen. I also don't see him lasting long under a Joff reign, whether intentionally or no.

I kinda think Tywin would have ended on a spike. This assumes Joffrey survives until adulthood, because my real prediction is that Ser Loras guts him like a carp the first time he orders Margaery beaten and then a Lannister-Tyrell war ensues.

And I also tend to think that Joffrey would idolize his weak and foolish mother. I see him being somewhat contemptuous of her, but not actually doing anything to hurt her.

I don't think Joff would have his mother beaten or killed. I think he idolized his mother. He's kind of a momma's boy. At one point, Cersei mentions that Joff would be a better king than Tommen (she's the only one who thinks so, I believe), because he has more willpower. Joff is more headstrong, but he's also kind of a wimp, as we witnessed when Nymeria bit him, and he crumbled emotionally, and when he cut himself on the Iron Throne (reminiscent of Aerys II) and started weeping like a baby (I think in ACOK). So he'd be cruler and seemingly more steely than Tommen, but also more susceptible to his mother's will.

I don't think he'd physically hurt her either, but he was getting worse and worse. It wouldn't have surprised me if he forced her into a marriage or something later on just to be a dick.

OT - I'm re-watching Season 1 right now, and Barristan is being dismissed as I write. Just had to throw in some appreciation for Lena Headey's eyebrow acting. :bowdown:

I don't think he'd physically hurt her either, but he was getting worse and worse. It wouldn't have surprised me if he forced her into a marriage or something later on just to be a dick.

OT - I'm re-watching Season 1 right now, and Barristan is being dismissed as I write. Just had to throw in some appreciation for Lena Headey's eyebrow acting. :bowdown:

I loooooooove Cersei! And I looooove Lena Headey! I was pissed when Fox cancelled Terminator the sarah connor chronicles. check it out if you haven't already. anyway, this is disturbing, but since incest is a big theme in ASOIAF, what if it occurred between Cersei and Joff? there relationship seems unhealthy enough for it.

I don't want to spoil anything for you. I have read all of the books so far. please tell me if you have not read any of the books, so i do not ruin any surprises.....

Read them all, and I love spoilers, I spoilered the entire series by reading plot summaries and highlights before I even got the books. (Sick, I know, I am ashamed but can't help my nosy nature.)

I just watched the entire series again, over the course of two days. I agree, I love Lena's eyebrows, so much talent in that bit a hair.

I loooooooove Cersei! And I looooove Lena Headey! I was pissed when Fox cancelled Terminator the sarah connor chronicles. check it out if you haven't already. anyway, this is disturbing, but since incest is a big theme in ASOIAF, what if it occurred between Cersei and Joff? there relationship seems unhealthy enough for it.

Cersei would totally do that. ewwww... I'm going to think about that every time I hear the "You can fuck painted whores bit"

Read them all, and I love spoilers, I spoilered the entire series by reading plot summaries and highlights before I even got the books. (Sick, I know, I am ashamed but can't help my nosy nature.)

I just watched the entire series again, over the course of two days. I agree, I love Lena's eyebrows, so much talent in that bit a hair.

I watched a video clip of Lena Headey and Sean Bean accepting an award for Game of Thrones HBO series (MTV awards or something), and when she was in the middle of her speech, the women in the audience started booing her and calling for Sean Bean to start talking! Just cause Cersei is evil doesn't mean Lean is! Sheesh! Rude people!

I watched a video clip of Lena Headey and Sean Bean accepting an award for Game of Thrones HBO series (MTV awards or something), and when she was in the middle of her speech, the women in the audience started booing her and calling for Sean Bean to start talking! Just cause Cersei is evil doesn't mean Lean is! Sheesh! Rude people!

That is awful. I did not see those awards, I would have been pissed. I like her, I just think she's playing Cersei almost too subdued, too cold. And I hate the wigs she has to wear(not her fault I kno, but they're terrible).

Archived