Paperback Release Date

Lady Littlefinger

When asked if the Arianne chapter was the chapter featured in the U.S. paperback George responded.

"A different sample in the pb, though offhand I don't recall which one."

Some good news lets hope it's not the other chapters we have heard summaries of (Arianne II, Victarion, and Theon.). Now all we need is the fucking paperback to actually come out and not be postponed a 4th time.

Thanks, that's the best news in a while since D&E got shoved back!

I wasn't sure if he would answer the paperback sample question. I was glad he confirmed we would still be getting a new one, but seeing the sample in print would be a nice.

Should of given you credit for getting good information out of George. I had asked a similar question when the Arianne chapter was released, but I never received an answer.

Bantam has relisted the paperbacks on their website. Currently the date is October 29, 2013. I really wish they would get the paperbacks out so we can have our sample chapter. :(

http://www.randomhou...n/9780553582017

Edit: oops, I missed that Sour Billy Tipton had already posted the date. I missed that I wasn't on the last page of the topic. :)

Should of given you credit for getting good information out of George. I had asked a similar question when the Arianne chapter was released, but I never received an answer.

Thanks. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally we manage to get somewhat straight answers there.

Bantam has relisted the paperbacks on their website. Currently the date is October 29, 2013. I really wish they would get the paperbacks out so we can have our sample chapter. :(

http://www.randomhou...n/9780553582017

Edit: oops, I missed that Sour Billy Tipton had already posted the date. I missed that I wasn't on the last page of the topic. :)

Thanks. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally we manage to get somewhat straight answers there.

My amazon order updated the estimated delivery date of September 30, 2014!? What is going on... That's 18 months away!!

I'm VERY confused. Regarding ADWD, last year I went to book stores and was told it was going to be out in MMPB in March, then when it wasn't out in March, I was told it would be out in July. July came and viola, no MMPB...sooooo I went into the bookstore in Jan. and they told me it would be out in March 2013...but now people are saying it's going to be Oct. 2013 or Sept 2014???!!!!

I guess I'm very confused because 1) the book is already written (so I don't understand what the hold up is) 2) because I know I've seen paperbacks on sale before (at Amazon and such) but now I cannot find them (and if I do they are extremely expensive) and 3) wtf?

I was told by the bookstore before when purchasing some Philipa Gregory novels that hardbacks come out first and then paperbacks follow (generally) 6 months later...it has been well over six months! And there were no delays like this with HP or other major series that I can think of...so I'm lost as to what the deal is and when the book will actually be out.

@Starks Among Us:

Yes, there is indeed a MMP of ADWD already published - in fact, two.

ISBN 978-0006486114 is the British edition by Harper-Collins

ISBN 978-0553841121 is the Bantam edition for foreign markets.

They are not identical. Besides different covers (due to the HBO series advertisement) they have different page counts as well.

The book were are still waiting for is

ISBN 978-0553582017 - the Bantam US edition.

(Edited to add: also 9780553385953, that seems to be a standard Paperback, meaning that it is a bigger book than the MMP).

Why hasn't it been published? Probably some combination of matters relating to the new, as-of-yet unpublished new chapter of TWOW that will only come to light in that specific book and market considerations involving the other editions already available.

I don't think that suggests anything about the publishing dates of the last two Song books, though. ADWD is, after all, readily available for purchase and has been so for well over a year. The dynamics and decisions are very different.

@Starks Among Us:

Yes, there is indeed a MMP of ADWD already published - in fact, two.

ISBN 978-0006486114 is the British edition by Harper-Collins

ISBN 978-0553841121 is the Bantam edition for foreign markets.

They are not identical. Besides different covers (due to the HBO series advertisement) they have different page counts as well.

The book were are still waiting for is

ISBN 978-0553582017 - the Bantam US edition.

Why hasn't it been published? Probably some combination of matters relating to the new, as-of-yet unpublished new chapter of TWOW that will only come to light in that specific book and market considerations involving the other editions already available.

I don't think that suggests anything about the publishing dates of the last two Song books, though. ADWD is, after all, readily available for purchase and has been so for well over a year. The dynamics and decisions are very different.

thank you for that information!

so does that mean i can buy an international version in paperback from say, amazon or something? just use that isbn?

thank you for that information!

so does that mean i can buy an international version in paperback from say, amazon or something? just use that isbn?

Yes, that is definitely possible. I'm not sure if you can do so by way of the American Amazon site, but there are alternatives. Those ISBNs are definitely already published.

Try a AddAll.com search by ISBN.

PS. if there are this many issues with publishing an already finished book that's out in hardcover, I can only imagine how long it will take them to publish TWoW or ADoS once they're finished.

On that respect, this post is of interest:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/79950-the-princess-and-the-queen/page__st__120#entry4088371

New quote from GRRM. I asked if Bantam could stop putting out the false release dates. And I tried to get confirmation on who the POV character is for the preview chapter of TWOW.

"I would not call them "false" release dates. They are real release dates. But yes, the date keeps getting pushed back.

Bantam, like all major publishers, does not sell directly to the readers, but rather to bookstores. We want to please the booksellers, especially the 600 pound gorillas like B&N and Amazon who buy hundreds of thousands of copies. And B&N and Amazon keep asking us to hold up the mass market, since the hardcover is still selling so strongly. (A "problem" most writers would kill to have).

Release of a mass market paperback tends to drive a spike through hardcover sales, so generally speaking a publisher wants to wait until the hardback has run its course before bringing out the cheaper edition. In this case, however, DANCE is behaving like the Energizer Bunny, so...

And hey, I just gave you guys the Arianne chapter. Let that one hold you for a while."

http://grrm.livejournal.com/312483.html#comments

Garbage. Can someone tell me the difference between this version:

http://www.amazon.co...tmm_mmp_title_0 (the one that comes out in October. MAYBE)

And this version:

http://www.amazon.co...tmm_mmp_title_1

The first has no preview chapter and is available worldwide since March 2012 (but not in the USA, at least not directly).

We have been promised a preview chapter of TWOW in the second (and it is supposed not to be either the Theon one or the Arianne one that were published in GRRM's Not-a-blog). And it will be an USA edition.

Far as I know, that is it. The page numbering will probably be a bit different as well.

ISBN 978-0553582017 (the one yet to be published) will have 1152 pages, according to the Amazon page. It is supposed to fit with the other four MMPs already published by Random House / Bantam:

AGOT is at 4.2 x 1.4 x 6.9 inches

AFFC is at 4.3 x 1.5 x 6.8 inches

ISBN 978-0553841121, the one already published worldwide, is 17,5 x 10,6 cm and has 1136 pages. That works out to pretty much the same dimensions, with a difference of about 16 extra pages for maps, the preview chapter and whatnot.

So yes, I feel confident that the elusive USA MMP will have compatible dimensions with the previous four American MMPs.

Archived