AGOT re-read - Syrio

red fork

I just finished the beheading chapter of Arya's, during my first re-read. I'm thinking Syrio made it out of there, but didn't kill Tyrant. And Tyrant didn't ever bring it up, out of embarassment.

I also think Syrio may have taken on the look of that Yoren (? I don't have my book with me) guy... the guy from the wall that grabs up Arya. How on earth would the real blackcloak recognize Arya in that situation? Only someone that "sees" would.

He didn't become First Sword of Braavos only because of the 'cat incident', but for his cunning and intelligence as well.

Think about it, could Ser Meryn really harm him?

Remember what Ser Barristan the Bold said in front of the whole court and the rest of KG? "I could still cut through you all like butter," (or something along those lines) implying that the current KG isn't really a strong one compared to the past one.

I surely think that Syrio could beat Ser Meryn easily.

So now we're left to wonder what really happened to him?

We didn't get to see any real death scene of him like we did of the others. So this either points out that he lives and escaped - which doesn't really make sense to me - or something else. He was tasked with the assigment to guide Arya through the art of the sword, don't you think he would protect her as well?

He could be a FM, but we don't know for sure.

What I do know partially, is that Syrio could beat Ser Meryn hands down, with or without a sword (note he could pick one up from the ground of the other guards he beat previously.)

• 1 year later...

I would love for Syrio to have made it out alive. He was intriguing and I want to know why he was teaching 'dancing lessons' to a tomboy and so far from home.

He's old, retired. He's a long way from home probably for the same reason there are no old gunslingers - someone wll always be challenging an ex-name, looking to make their own name. And/or possibly political reasons.

Teaching fencing is a nice way to keep a healthy retirement going in relative obscurity.

And now he is dead. He is not a FM - there are literally zero clues to suggest he might be.

Merryn Trant hits Sansa pretty regularly in the books after the take over, it's not really proof but do you think Syrio would hit a 13 year old girl? :S I, as nearly everyone else, would love Syrio to be alive. And as others have mentioned it's there are several precedents for GRRM bringing back characters who died off screen. (Even on screen with Catelyn.) Hopefully he'll make an appearance along with Benjen.

I, as nearly everyone else, would love Syrio to be alive.

I think you overestimate your support.

And incidentally, if Syrio was an FM, then "Syrio" was never truly Syrio at all. "Syrio" was merely a mask the FM was wearing. So all of that stuff that made him such a hit with some fans would have just have been an FM acting a part.

I was just about to mention this point when I stumbled across your post. There is no mention of anyone finding Syrio's body and because we never actually see him dying, chances are that he might still be alive.

***Spoiler Point Ahead***

I just had a crackpot theory of my own. What if this Izembaro, the Faceless man, whom Arya is sent to train under at the end of her chapters from ADWD, really turns out to be Syrio Forrel, who after escaping Ser Meryn Trant, returned back to Braavos.

Of course, like someone said before, 95% of the text we've read till now suggests that Syrio Forrel is lying dead somewhere under the Red Keep.

Izembaro is a Braavosi name, and I think Arya will apprentice under him as a "mummer" to learn all aspects of theatre that will allow her to augment her training as a faceless man. A good costume does not make anyone a good actor. An Oscar winning actor does not mean same actor can sing lead against Hugh Jackman in Les Miz.

Arya needs lots of training: and scenes taking place wth a lively group of mummers might be fun to read.

It would be interesting if Syrio was alive. He has never been confirmed as dead in the books or the tv series so it will always remain open as a possibility.

However, he 'died' in the first book, and a lot has happened since then. If he did come back now in some other guise it would almost certainly stink of deus ex. If he changed into someone else and escaped GRRM should have hinted as much by now. Yes, he could be alive, but for the sake of integrity, I hope he isn't.

Archived