House of Undying Visions - potential DwD spoilers

Arianne Flint

There are a lot of visions/scenes that we see in Dany's chapter when she enters the House of Undying. She mostly focuses on the "three betrayals", but I think there are a lot of other allusions and foreshadowing that occur here. It just seems too important to write off as just some magical fluff put there for world flavoring; I think this scene (and the

Tyrion chapter in the Sorrows during DwD

) are the most surreal/spooky of the entire series.

Perhaps some of this is just to throw readers off, as we are warned that some of these things are of days that "never were".

I don't have the book in front of me, but here is a list of things Dany sees from that chapter (from the synopsis), with some of my ideas or interpretations:

In the halls:

1. a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman - Is there any house which has a Rat as their motif/sigil? I know Lolly's was not considered beautiful. . .perhaps this is an allusion to Tysha?
  2. a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter - Red Wedding
  3. old, dead, loyal Ser Willem Darry at the house with the red door from when Daenerys lived in Braavos - this seems straight-forward, more of a memory than a vision
  4. a scene where an old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes" - one of the Targaryans who ruled on the Iron Throne, perhaps Aerys?
  5. a man who looked like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more…The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play; - I think it's been widely interpreted that this is Rhaegar and Elia, and the third child is probably Jon.
  6. a vision of Pyat Pree telling her the visit was over, and to follow him into a garden; - a trick by the warlocks
  7. a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying of Qarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)…shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery.

In the room with the undying:

1. Viserys dying; - already happened
  2. a tall lord with copper skin and silver hair bearing the banner of a fiery stallion (probably Rhaego, her unborn son); - I agree with this interpretation
  3. a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath; - someone wrote an essay (along the lines of R+L=J) that seems to suggest that this is Rhaegar calling Lyanna
  4. a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow; - if you believe Jon is Azor Ahai, this might make some sense
  5. a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd; - not sure what to make of this one
  6. a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire; - possibly one of the dragons from Dragonstone?
  7. her Silver horse given to her by Drogo at her wedding; - already happened
  8. a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly; - I think some have alluded this might be Jon Connington?
  9. a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice; - Jon at the Wall
  10. shadows dancing in a tent; - not sure about this one
  11. a little girl running toward a house with a red door; - possible Dany as a child?
  12. Mirri Maz Duur shrieking in the flames as a dragon bursts from her; - already happened
  13. a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse; - I don't think Dany has drug anything behind her horse yet, then again this might just be a metaphor. . . maybe an allusion to the death/destruction that Dany will cause? Or perhaps this is an allusion to the Pale Mare?
  14. a white lion running through grass taller than a man; - The white lion might be an allusion to the Lannisters, but other than that I'm not sure about this one either.
  15. a line of naked crones emerging from a lake, kneeling before Daenerys beneath the Mother of Mountains; - I think this is an allusion to the former khaleesi at Vaes Dothrak and the Dothraki in general. Perhaps we will see this in WoW.
  16. ten thousand slaves crying "Mother" as Daenerys rode by on her silver. - We've already seen this as Daenerys travels through Slaver's Bay.

Any other ideas or interpretations?

*flexes fingers*

From your first list:

1. The four rat-faced men raping the woman are the four surviving kings (at that time) and the woman is Westeros.

2. Yes, the Red Wedding.

3. I agree, probably more of a memory.

4. This is a flashback of Aerys contemplating burning King's Landing with wildfire rather than let it fall to the rebels.

5. Yes, Rhaegar with Elia and Aegon.

From your second list:

1. Yes, Viserys dying has happened.

2. Yes, it's Rhaego as he would have been.

3. Yes, Rhaegar dying and probably calling for Lyanna.

4. The blue-eyed king without a shadow is Stannis.

5. The cloth dragon is a visual representation — a visual pun, if you will — of the mummer's dragon.

6. I think this might be a visual representation of "waking dragons from stone."

7. The wedding present, yes.

8. I think this might actually be Balon: "smiling sadly" = Greyjoy.

9. The blue flower at the Wall is Jon.

10. Shadows dancing in a tent is probably a reference to Renly's death.

11. Dany as a child, yes.

12. Yes, already happened.

13. This is the guy who tried to poison Dany in the market. He was stripped naked, tied to her horse and made to follow the khalasar. Eventually he couldn't keep up, died and was just dragged along.

14. Drogo killed a white lion during a hunt and gave the skin to Dany.

15. The dosh khaleen in Vaes Dothrak.

16. The freed slaves calling out to Dany.

a white lion running through grass taller than a man; - The white lion might be an allusion to the Lannisters, but other than that I'm not sure about this one either.

Any other ideas or interpretations?

Most of your points are mentionned in other threads. however it's the first time I (personally) noticed this one.

This could be far fetched, The Grass is tall however the lion isn't described as being small himself. Which I compare to Tyrion, obviously a lion, smaller than other men physically, which is why the lion smaller than the grass, however Tyrion is considered of same value as the other lions.

The lion is white, which could mean that the lion is not a Lannister.

Arghh I can't explain myself while working :(

Most of your points are mentionned in other threads. however it's the first time I (personally) noticed this one.

This could be far fetched, The Grass is tall however the lion isn't described as being small himself. Which I compare to Tyrion, obviously a lion, smaller than other men physically, which is why the lion smaller than the grass, however Tyrion is considered of same value as the other lions.

The lion is white, which could mean that the lion is not a Lannister.

Arghh I can't explain myself while working :(

Jaime when dressed as LC of the Kingsguard is a white lion actually, i just don't know how Jaime could fit into Daenerys visions though.

Also, the "corpse at the prow of a ship... smiling sadly"

I thought it points to Victarion, that is the one who is headed to Dany a the moment.

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>

shadows dancing in a tent; -&nbsp;<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255); ">not sure about this one.</span>
</p>

<p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255); ">Renly ?</span></p>

<br />

Also, the "corpse at the prow of a ship... smiling sadly"

I thought it points to Victarion, that is the one who is headed to Dany a the moment.

I tend to think it's Balon more than Victarion because the guy's already described as a corpse. I guess it could point to Victarion eventually dying, but ...?

Someone at the "prow of a ship" could also be read to be a visual interpretation of a king (i.e. a leader).

I tend to think it's Balon more than Victarion because the guy's already described as a corpse. I guess it could point to Victarion eventually dying, but ...?

Someone at the "prow of a ship" could also be read to be a visual interpretation of a king (i.e. a leader).

Yeah, you're right, it could refer to a king, also. I said Victarion cause of what Moqorro did to him when he healed his wound but then, has Victarion been drowned? I mean like in the ritual Aeron does with the men? Cause then Victarion could be a "corpse" since "what is dead cannot die".

Where did Aemon die? Refresh my memory... could he have been "corpse at the prow of a ship... smiling sadly"??

He died in a ship, right? Well, it could also be, the bright eyes then referring to Aemon being blind, maybe? I've always think that "smiling sadly" was a clear reference to "Grey Joy" but Aemon could have died smiling sadly cause he realized too late that Dany was TPTWP for him. It definitely could be. So maybe that part of the vision wasn't about Dany's lovers/husbands but about the family she has left? Aemon/Jon?

1- a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman - Renly, Robb, Jeoffery and Stannis's war of thrones, the woman is a ravaged Westeros.

4- a scene where an old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes" - Aerys

In the room with the undying:

3- a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath; - Yes. Rhaegar calling for Lyanna is the most common interpretation.

4- a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow; - Stannis

5- a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd; - This is Young Griff. A cloth dragon is a mummer's dragon, which could either mean a fake dragon or a dragon belonging to a mummer. According to the first interpretation some believe YG is fake. While others believe he is real, based on the second interpretation and the fact that Varys has worked as a mummer when he was younger.

6- a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire; - possibly one of the dragons from Dragonstone? IMO, the key here is that the beast is breathing shadow fire, which tells me this has something to do with Mellisander's shadow magic.

8- a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly; - I think some have alluded this might be Jon Connington? Possibly. Or it could be Greyjoy = Smiling sadly, which makes me think the man is Victarion.

10- shadows dancing in a tent; - Shadow magic. Could apply to Renly's murder or MMD's magic on Dany.

13- a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse - I agree that this Pale Mare can both stand for Dany and the death she brings to Slaver's bay and to the disease.

14- a white lion running through grass taller than a man; - Either Tyrion or Jamie. I'm inclined to think it's Jamie in the whilte of the KG. Not sure what the ta;ll grass is supposed to mean.

15- a line of naked crones emerging from a lake, kneeling before Daenerys beneath the Mother of Mountains; - Yet to happen, I think.

Where did Aemon die? Refresh my memory... could he have been "corpse at the prow of a ship... smiling sadly"??

Yes. He did die on a ship. It's certainly a possible interpretation, Bright eyes could mean that he saw he saw the truth of her being TPTWP and smiling sadly is the regret that he saw it too late. I think I like this interpretation more than GreyJoy.

It's important to note that certain visions are grouped in threes and followed by an epithet for Dany (e.g. daughter of death, slayer of lies, bride of fire), suggesting that they are all connected thematically. So, for instance, the slayer of lies epithet appears to refer to the visions of the blue-eyed king, the mummer's dragon, and the stone dragon, suggesting that these are the lies Dany must slay. And the bride of fire epithet links the visions of Dany's silver, the corpse on a ship, and the blue flower. Many people interpret these visions to represent Dany's husbands, both past and future. IMO, her silver represents Drogo, the blue flower clearly represents Jon, while the corpse on the ship represents who-knows-who (though at this point I'm leaning toward a Greyjoy).

It's important to note that certain visions are grouped in threes and followed by an epithet for Dany (e.g. daughter of death, slayer of lies, bride of fire), suggesting that they are all connected thematically. So, for instance, the slayer of lies epithet appears to refer to the visions of the blue-eyed king, the mummer's dragon, and the stone dragon, suggesting that these are the lies Dany must slay. And the bride of fire epithet links the visions of Dany's silver, the corpse on a ship, and the blue flower. Many people interpret these visions to represent Dany's husbands, both past and future. IMO, her silver represents Drogo, the blue flower clearly represents Jon, while the corpse on the ship represents who-knows-who (though at this point I'm leaning toward a Greyjoy).

If there's truth to the husbands interpretation (I really hope not, if she and Jon copulate I might have to burn something), the Greyjoy would likelier be Victarion than Balon, even though the "corpse" thing points more toward Balon. I still think it's a Greyjoy; the Aemon thing makes no sense to me, sorry folks.

One chink in the husbands interpretation: Where's Hizdahr?

If there's truth to the husbands interpretation (I really hope not, if she and Jon copulate I might have to burn something), the Greyjoy would likelier be Victarion than Balon, even though the "corpse" thing points more toward Balon. I still think it's a Greyjoy; the Aemon thing makes no sense to me, sorry folks.

One chink in the husbands interpretation: Where's Hizdahr?

I think the corpse vision is a Greyjoy, too, probably Victarion. I am thinking that it somehow relates to the theme of Dany's husbands in that Victarion may kill Hizdar. Certainly Victarion has announced his intentions of making Dany a widow. I am thinking something along the lines of Victarion kidnapping Hizdahr and making him blow the dragon horn, and it backfires somehow and kills both of them. So Dany is seeing a vision of her husband's murderer, rather than the husband himself.

I was OK with that theory until ADWD and Hizdhar. Daeny as the Liz Taylor of ASOIAF, with 3 prophesied husbands, and god knows how many the prophecies missed, is not something I'm willing to consider. Also, Jon + Dany = Ewww.

Rather than husbands, I see bride of fire as being 3 men in her life who, via their sacrifice, will hep her and her dragons achieve their destiny. Drogo's death helped birth the dragons. Victarion will likely be the one to get her to Westeros and die, possibly burn for it. As to Jon..... ? I have no idea.

Archived