The most Useless character in ASoIaF

Revan Baratheon

Quentyn appears to be useless at first glance, but that's why I think that his plot line actually will end up being important, because otherwise, why have him at all? There has to be some fallout in Dorne over his death, because otherwise, what was his purpose?

I'm not sure if you're looking at this right as a character he does have a little purpose, but as a POV he was useless. Not one of his chapters has anything of value or tells anything new to the story. We get all we need to know about Q from Dany and Barr. His chapters utterly useless.

Side not the most useless character was Prester Greenfield, the depth of his actions/character was a 'place holder'. Alot of dead KG are given more personalities than this man.

Sansa Lannister

So far, 'useless' Sansa has saved a man's life, comforted wounded men during battle and seen them cared for as well as raising the morale of several frightened women when their queen abandoned them during the same attack, acted as the catalyst for a king's assassination (however unwittingly; it can be be argued that her telling the Tyrell women about Joffrey's cruelty crystalized their determination to remove him from the Game) as well as the bearer of the weapon, caused Littlefinger to kill the Lady of the Eyrie probably ahead of schedule, acted as foster-mother to her very sickly and difficult young cousin who few others could influence, and has become the unofficial Lady of the Eyrie, or at least the Lord Protector's hostess.

And Sansa probably isn't fifteen yet. She's been a busy and useful girl who will probably accomplish a lot more as/if she gets out from Littlefinger's control and grows into maturity - if she lives.

So far, 'useless' Sansa has saved a man's life, comforted wounded men during battle and seen them cared for as well as raising the morale of several frightened women when their queen abandoned them during the same attack, acted as the catalyst for a king's assassination (however unwittingly; it can be be argued that her telling the Tyrell women about Joffrey's cruelty crystalized their determination to remove him from the Game) as well as the bearer of the weapon, caused Littlefinger to kill the Lady of the Eyrie probably ahead of schedule, acted as foster-mother to her very sickly and difficult young cousin who few others could influence, and has become the unofficial Lady of the Eyrie, or at least the Lord Protector's hostess.

And Sansa probably isn't fifteen yet. She's been a busy and useful girl who will probably accomplish a lot more as/if she gets out from Littlefinger's control and grows into maturity - if she lives.

Nothing with any solid impact on main story line.

most of the time she is trying to sve her own ass.

Nothing with any solid impact on main story line.

most of the time she is trying to sve her own ass.

How was Sansa saving her own ass when she persuaded Joffrey not to kill Dontos? She didn't even know him. She certainly wasn't saving herself by sticking around the court and raising the morale of the frightened ladies while Stannis' forces attacked King's Landing; and it wasn't necessarily in her own interest to help the wounded Lannister forces, including Lancel. Little Robert was an annoying brat; Sansa could have ignored him and let him have more fits out of increased stress and temper; but she didn't; she took care of him and acted like a loving foster-mother.

Brienne's actions have little to do with the main storyline either; would you call her useless? Ditto Sam Tarly at this point; and even Arya is not exactly influencing any of the main plots yet; she's spying and killing in Essos and no one among the main players even knows where she is. But they're all threads in GRRM's tapestry; and they all have roles to play; and most of them are far more useful than Penny or Areo Hotah...

Maester Aemon... he's not a POV but he gets a lot of time and his death is pretty drawn out, for what?

What?! Haha NOOOOOOO....

Well, on the serious side, Aemon was not only praised as the oldest maester, but also the oldest man in Westeros, who "forgot more history than any archmaester had ever learned". I thought his advice and wisdom to Jon, as well as various others, was essential. Also, I totally disagree that his death was drawn out. That's just silly! All in all, he had hardly any page time at all! If you challenge me, I'll look it up, because I have all the books in pdf form. He was definitely a very important character, not just to the Night's Watch and his family IIRC, but he also provided a lot of information to the readers.

I think people have a prejudice against her because, well...basically, she's been a really stupid, snobby girl throughout most of the series. People know that if she hadn't had so much tragedy befall her, she would have had the same immature views as she had in the first book. It's really tragic that some people can only change when incredibly sad events happen to them. I am personally worried that she is in Littlefinger's "care", b/c it seems like he's grooming her for sex, but at the same time, the only reason I can tolerate her character is b/c she's a Stark and b/c she' changed a little since all of her tragedy. If she had continued being the shallow girl that she was in GOT throughout the series, I'm pretty sure I would've skipped all of her chapters, except to scan and see if anything important happened with anyone else.

I also find it interesting that many people defend Sansa because of her age. Arya is two years younger and has consistently been smarter, more resilient, tougher, fiercer, more resourceful, etc. etc. (I could go on, but whatever, ppl get the point) than her older sister. I like who Sansa is becoming, but in the beginning, she not only betrayed her sister by lying about what happened w/Joff at the trident (which is why I personally believe Lady died -- the old gods of the north prob did not dig that so much) but also she betrayed her father and gave Cersei a major tool to bring about his downfall. I feel like she's gonna be one of the characters who suffers the absolute most by the end of the series. I mean, Robb was brutally murdered for ONE mistake he tried to rectify; it seems like the Starks are judged farrrrrr more harshly than others for the mistakes they make, even if they are totally innocent/ignorant at the time.

That being said, I don't think that ANY of the characters if useless. They all serve a purpose, whether it's supporting one of the major character's development, or whether they move as "pieces" in the game of thrones themselves. Nevertheless, considering that fact, if I had to pick, I'd say Lackwit Lollys. If she didn't exist, Shae would've prob been Falyse's maid, and Bronn would have ended up killing Falyse's husband by some other means to become lord of Stokeworth. It's also kind of weird that Lollys exists in the books b/c I'm not sure she has any other actual lines than "I don't WANT to" (repeat 10 times) when her sister and mum are trying to get her to go into Maegor's to be under the "protection" of Cersei.

How was Sansa saving her own ass when she persuaded Joffrey not to kill Dontos? She didn't even know him. She certainly wasn't saving herself by sticking around the court and raising the morale of the frightened ladies while Stannis' forces attacked King's Landing; and it wasn't necessarily in her own interest to help the wounded Lannister forces, including Lancel. Little Robert was an annoying brat; Sansa could have ignored him and let him have more fits out of increased stress and temper; but she didn't; she took care of him and acted like a loving foster-mother.

Brienne's actions have little to do with the main storyline either; would you call her useless? Ditto Sam Tarly at this point; and even Arya is not exactly influencing any of the main plots yet; she's spying and killing in Essos and no one among the main players even knows where she is. But they're all threads in GRRM's tapestry; and they all have roles to play; and most of them are far more useful than Penny or Areo Hotah...

Wow she saved 1 drunk knight. How can you compare it to Dany freeing slaves? Jon fighting others? Tyrion killing tywin?

Saving anyone inside kingslanding again isnt a big deal and has no impact on main story line. She was boosting the moral of wrong people anyway.

I like all other characters, their story is interesting but sansas story is the same bullshit. She comes out of 1 fantasy and goes into other.

She never learned her lesson despite losing her father, her brother and her sister. Well she was never loyal to her family anyway but we are talking about

who is the most useless and so far Sansa Lannister has done nothing to impress me. She is just a puppet of LF, first she was puppet of Cersei and Joff and now

LF.

Sansa wasn't saving her own ass when she persuaded Joff not to kill Dontos. That's def. true. But, at the same time, in the text it says that she felt a "giddy courage" and wanted to get on Joffrey's nerves, despite the risk, b/c she hated him so much now [for killing her father and Mordane etc.]. I agree that overall she is a sweet girl, but let's be honest, she is also incredibly snobby. I believe that she calmed the frightened ladies whom Cersei left because a) she felt it was someone's duty, and no one else was stepping up to the task; b.) she wanted to show herself as a better woman than Cersei by calming down the hens; and c) she only really comforted Lancel, and I think that's b/c Lancel derided Cersei for letting Joff leave the field like a coward. She prob agreed with that, and also she had always viewed him as "comely". We know that even in ADWD, a man's looks affects how she acts towards him. But, I listed her reasons for trying to comfort the ladies in order of importance in her own mind, as I see it.

Yes, Sansa could have ignored Robert, but she was pledged by Lysa to marry him. It was obvious that she thought he was a child and despised him, and she only started being tihs "foster mother" (I don't agree with that term, btw) after Lysa was defenestrated. In one her chapters in AFFC she notes that Maester Colemon cared for Robert as a person, but that she and Littlefinger had "larger concerns". All of her "care" was just to get a pathetic cowardly boy to do what was needed, so that they could all get off the mountain. I am sure that if Lysa had been there, and she were officially known as "Sansa Stark", her highborn status would have accorded her more freedom in ignoring Robert, if she wished. However, LF convinced her that she always needed to be Alayne Stone, the bastard girl, and as such, she could not respond to Robert the way she would like -- there's a mention of his asking for 3 stories and her wanting to smack him and spank him. And hey, who can blame her, really? So I would argue strongly that she never loved "Sweetrobin"; saying that she was a "loving foster mother" is either an extreme misinterpretation or lie, b/c we can hear her thoughts. I'm sure that it's just a misinterpretation b/c you like Sansa's character. She only put up with him,and he prob liked her, b/c she looked a lot like his mother, had big boobs like Lysa that he thought would be filled with milk (excuse me whilst I puke for a second) and she *acted* sweet to him.

It also wasn't in LF's political interest for Robert to have increased fits right then, and we all know that Sansa did whatever LF told her to do. I still feel sorry for her, and I view her as one of those truly grey characters GRRM loves to write. I think, that from an OOC point of view, people are supposed to have extremely mixed feelings about Sansa, just as they are to have mixed feelings about LF, Tyrion, Dany, etc. On the one hand, Sansa's actions led to her father's death; on the other, she was beaten by men who were supposed to be knights. So it's not that simple, but I just wanted to note that she's not really a true foster mother to SR and didn't really like the women of the court of KL, or Lancel Lannister. She did what she had to do to survive, and sometimes she had a rare opportunity to have a taste of petty vengeance. :dunno:

I'm not sure if you're looking at this right as a character he does have a little purpose, but as a POV he was useless. Not one of his chapters has anything of value or tells anything new to the story. We get all we need to know about Q from Dany and Barr. His chapters utterly useless.

Side not the most useless character was Prester Greenfield, the depth of his actions/character was a 'place holder'. Alot of dead KG are given more personalities than this man.

Who?

Rickon. I keep waiting and waiting for him to turn up and he never does. What is the point of his existance at all unless it is to have just one Stark out of the way of danger who can then return to rebuild Wintefell? This would be absolutely pointless as we have no emotional investment in Rickon, he may as well be a tree stump for all I care.

hahahha... this is really funny when you consider that Bran is almost literally a tree stump!

Who?

Preston Greenfield, one of the Kingsguard from Robert's reign who lives until the bread riots. Haha the guy above said "Prester" Greenfield

Lanny Greenhands. Total waste of protein. His entire role seems to be slowing down Arya on her escape from Harrenhall. Or did you mean an important character?

Lommy Greenhands. lol it's so funny that the characters who truly weren't significant don't even have their names remembered right.

But...yeah Lommy was annoying. I think his role WAS to slow down everyone.

Archived