You are left in Westeros all alone...

Cap Ou Pas Cap

Oh, I forgot. I know how to make a decent moonshine from anything that can be fermented. I will open up a whiskey store and make zilions of golden dragons. :cool4:

Of all the people who have posted, I think you have the best odds at short-term survival ("don´t kill me, I can make booze" sounds like a most compelling and credible argument when facing axe-wielding savages).

During the Middle Ages people still didn´t know how to distill liquors, and in Westeros it seem like they only know how to make medicinal alcohol, so you would have the monopoly on a very desirable product, and, unlike people here who has spoken of making cannons, guns and microscopes, the tech would be ridiculously easy and simple to pull (heck, I could do it too, but I would have to experiment for years before learning to make anything drinkable...).

Could I work with you? I´m planning to go to the Citadel and teach advanced maths there (I got a master in maths), or maybe become an accountant, or, if I earn money enough, maybe use my knowledge on statistics and chances to become a successful investor/insurer in Oldtown, but I need a short term plan for the first few months.

Could I work with you? I´m planning to go to the Citadel and teach advanced maths there, or maybe become an accountant, or, if I earn money enough, maybe use my knowledge on statistics and chances to become a successful investor/insurer in Oldtown, but I need a short term plan for the first few months.

Sure, you can count my jugs of firewater :) . Advance accounting was developed as soon as demand came. I do not think that people in medieval time suffered of the math shortage. Even Newton had more like of excess of knowledge and turned to alchemy later in his carrier. I also know how to get a non-organic fertilizers....I can be reach....

Sure, you can count my jugs of firewater :) . Advance accounting was developed as soon as demand came. I do not think that people in medieval time suffered of the math shortage. Even Newton had more like of excess of knowledge and turned to alchemy later in his carrier. I also know how to get a non-organic fertilizers....I can be reach....

I´m quite sure sugar beets can be grown during winter in the southern parts of Westeros, and I know those can be used to make liquour (a sort of rum); we could produce alcohol during a period of time when nobody else can (they can´t grow grapes during the winter, and very few grains would resist the cold)...there is profit there.

I wonder if there is around here any of those guys who build and sail their own ships as a hobby...if there is one and we can recruit him, we would have a highly demanded product that nobody else knows how to produce, and the means to cut the middleman...

I find a lot of people in this discussion to be very naive. You are dropped in westeros, alone and unknown. First the probability of survivng the first few days to travel anywere is unlikely. It is a brutal world with bandits, brigands, war and there is no supermarket or general foods store you can waltz into to feed yourself and get supplys. You have no money and no weapon to deffend yourself so your survival rate drops dramaticaly. Second, for all of those who say they will tell the high ords of the futur or teach them of gunpowder and medicine are also stupid. You would not be even allowed an audience with any of them and i you do manage it, you will be thought as crazy or an idiot. You also would not be able to get the resourses for these things probably while you are begging for coins and scavanging for food. The only places that might accept you would be the nights watch or the maesters in old town, but the likely hood of you getting there is small. The best any of us could hope for is to survive a few weeks, months, maybe years as we struggle with poverty, disease and war.

I wonder if there is around here any of those guys who build and sail their own ships as a hobby...if there is one and we can recruit him, we would have a highly demanded product that nobody else knows how to produce, and the means to cut the middleman...

Actually there are few obvious inventions which were made in early 19-th century USA that change the farming forever. That is Hussey's reaper and Whitney's cotton gin. But for both a demand needed. I am not sure that people of Westeros have such.

I find a lot of people in this discussion to be very naive. You are dropped in westeros, alone and unknown. First the probability of survivng the first few days to travel anywere is unlikely. It is a brutal world with bandits, brigands, war and there is no supermarket or general foods store you can waltz into to feed yourself and get supplys. You have no money and no weapon to deffend yourself so your survival rate drops dramaticaly. Second, for all of those who say they will tell the high ords of the futur or teach them of gunpowder and medicine are also stupid. You would not be even allowed an audience with any of them and i you do manage it, you will be thought as crazy or an idiot. You also would not be able to get the resourses for these things probably while you are begging for coins and scavanging for food. The only places that might accept you would be the nights watch or the maesters in old town, but the likely hood of you getting there is small. The best any of us could hope for is to survive a few weeks, months, maybe years as we struggle with poverty, disease and war.

We are having fun here.

Anyway, you are right, most plans are utterly unrealistic, mostly because they require help (even if you know how a cannon works you would need a lot of very expensive bronze; even if you know of to make a gun, you would need the assistance of somebody who knows how to make stuff with medieval smithing tools...etc.) o access to powerful people (selling secrets to the players of the Game of Thrones)....but hey, if 100 people wrote "I would die" it would be a very boring thread.

P.S.: I support Kozma plan because he only needs some copper pots and pipes to start his business, so its feasible.

P.S.S.: I know copper is toxic and shouldn´t be used, but hey, you are going to sell the stuff, not drink it yourself, and the effects would be so slow nobody would blame you; eventually you could use ceramic, iron, steel and brass equipment.

P.S.: I support Kozma plan because he only needs some copper pots and pipes to start his business, so its feasible.

P.S.S.: I know copper is toxic and shouldn´t be used, but hey, you are going to sell the stuff, not drink it yourself, and the effects would be so slow nobody would blame you; eventually you could use ceramic, iron, steel and brass equipment.

were would you get the copper pots and pipes? who makes pipes in that time and how would you pay for it?

We are having fun here.

Anyway, you are right, most plans are utterly unrealistic, mostly because they require help (even if you know how a cannon work you would need a lot of very expensive bronze; even if you know of to make a gun, you would need the assistance of somebody who knows how to make stuff with medieval smithing tools...etc.) o access to powerful people (selling secrets to the players of the Game of Thrones)....but hey, if 100 people wrote "I would die" it would be a very boring thread.

If you see mine it is more realistic. I either travell to the nights watch and the wall( if i am close) or i beg and steal if neccesary in a larger city or hold untill the travelling crow comes to look for men, or even get my self arrested and be forced to the wall. The nights watch trains you, feeds you and gives you a home, it is in my opinion the bst choice.

were would you get the copper pots and pipes? who makes pipes in that time and how would you pay for it?

If you see mine it is more realistic. I either travell to the nights watch and the wall( if i am close) or i beg and steal if neccesary in a larger city or hold untill the travelling crow comes to look for men, or even get my self arrested and be forced to the wall. The nights watch trains you, feeds you and gives you a home, it is in my opinion the bst choice.

You do not need a copper piping to start a primitive distillery. Begging and stealing would be professions which require skills and connections in the medieval times. :cool4:

Dream: travel the world fighting enemies and then retiring somewhere big with a wall

Reality: travel a bit escape from bandits by jumping in a river and wash up with the monks, then study books to see how the hell I ended up in aSoIaF, possibly set up as a prophet with my magical ideas of the future.

you need skills to sit on a corner with your hands outstreached? You need connections to see a bag of money on a table and swipe it?

Pan-shaking is a business. All profitable sites are taken. People tend to guard their bags of money. In the medieval time they took a great care of thefts usually by beating them bloodily.

Pan-shaking is a business. All profitable sites are taken. People tend to guard their bags of money. In the medieval time they took a great care of thefts usually by beating them bloodily.

So what you are saying is that there would be no were to beg. No tavern, no streat, and no corners in which to ask people for money. There is no guild or association of beggers that you would need to get the aprovel of, it is just desperate peope on the street. And yes theiving is dangerous, but everything in that world is dangerous. As you say people guard there money, but they sleep, they rest, they look the other way for 5 seconds. there is always a way.

No tavern, no streat, and no corners in which to ask people for money. There is no guild or association of beggers that you would need to get the aprovel of, it is just desperate peope on the street. And yes theiving is dangerous, but everything in that world is dangerous. As you say people guard there money, but they sleep, they rest, they look the other way for 5 seconds. there is always a way.

Read Victor Hugo "Notre Dame de Paris" it is a great book about medieval France which depicts everyday life of big medieval city. Get in any old European town and just imagine the density of the city population inside city walls. Figure out that in general tavern owners would not let beggars on their property and seriously chase them out. Same with thefts. Criminal and semi-criminal life was really dangerous at that time.

If we're having fun here, I'd have to find a substitute for caffeine, because I have to have my coffee in the morning. Once I do that, then I'm opening the Dunk-N-Egg Doughnut shop. :D

If we're going to be boring and literal, (get it about real history, and as a woman in the Medeval times, I probably would have been sold to the highest bidder for an alliance, and dead at 32 from constant pregnancies starting at fourteen), :stillsick: if I were dropped in there as a woman, the only "job" I could have would be a whore.

I could be a Teacher, but am I supposed to even have an education?

I stink at cooking

I find cleaning theraputic, but I don't know how you'd clean rushes, and not sure what to do about fleas without modern chemicals, so a scullary, or maid wouldn't work.

So, I guess it's to Littlefingers then.

If we're going to be boring and literal, (get it about real history, and as a woman in the Medeval times, I probably would have been sold to the highest bidder for an alliance, and dead at 32 from constant pregnancies starting at fourteen), :stillsick: if I were dropped in there as a woman, the only "job" I could have would be a whore.

I could be a Teacher, but am I supposed to even have an education?

I stink at cooking

I find cleaning theraputic, but I don't know how you'd clean rushes, and not sure what to do about fleas without modern chemicals, so a scullary, or maid wouldn't work.

So, I guess it's to Littlefingers then.

Save a seat on the cart for me.

Archived