Ten easy things Doran could have done for Quentyn

Bran Vras

Doran might have assumed that Daenarys would have tracked down books on dragon handling before Quentyn arrived. He wasn't supposed to be dealing directly with the dragons, just the members of Dany's court.

What the characters don't know is that Varys had own agenda w.r.t. the Targaryen children in exile. What Targaryen loyalists in Westeros saw was that Robert had a hyper-competent spymaster who would be able to find out who was behind any aid the children received. It turns out that Varys may or may not have reported such dealings to Robert depending on what suited him, but Doran could not have known that.

Doran might have assumed that Daenarys would have tracked down books on dragon handling before Quentyn arrived. He wasn't supposed to be dealing directly with the dragons, just the members of Dany's court.

Yes it seems reasonable to ask how common books on dragons are in GRRM's world. We get a reasonable idea in a Tyrion chapters in ADwD. (Sorry for the long quote.)

Tyrion had read much and more of dragons through the years. The greater part of those accounts were idle tales and could not be relied on, and the books that Illyrio had provided them were not the ones he might have wished for. What he really wanted was the complete text of The Fires of the Freehold, Galendro’s history of Valyria. No complete copy was known to Westeros, however; even the Citadel’s lacked twenty-seven scrolls. They must have a library in Old Volantis, surely. I may find a better copy there, if I can find a way inside the Black Walls to the city’s heart.

He was less hopeful concerning Septon Barth’s Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History. Barth had been a blacksmith’s son who rose to be King’s Hand during the reign of Jaehaerys the Conciliator. His enemies always claimed he was more sorcerer than septon. Baelor the Blessed had ordered all Barth’s writings destroyed when he came to the Iron Throne. Ten years ago, Tyrion had read a fragment of Unnatural History that had eluded the Blessed Baelor, but he doubted that any of Barth’s work had found its way across the narrow sea. And of course there was even less chance of his coming on the fragmentary, anonymous, blood-soaked tome sometimes called Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons, the only surviving copy of which was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel.

So the books are rare and valuable and tracking them is a major task and, certainly, Doran knew how valuable the book in the tower is. Moreover Dany is clueless about handling the dragons. So I can't accept your objection.

It's interesting to note that Arianne passes over the book in the tower because of its too scientific nature ("makes dragons look like newts"), which makes the book seem like Septon Barth's.

Edit: As for the idea that Quentyn wouldn't need to deal with dragons, and therefore did not need to be taught anything on the subject. 1) Quentyn has taken the pain to learn the Volantene political system while on the Meadowlark, which is clearly a less important knowledge for the success of the mission, even seen from Sunspear. 2) Arianne has the book at her disposal (among other books), and there is no plan to send her to deal with dragons. 3) Dragons are what makes Dany an important queen. She wouldn't be much without them.

There would have been a great use for the book, if Quentyn had embarked with it: to offer it as a present to the Queen. Perhaps not enough to win her, but enough to get some serious attention.

What the characters don't know is that Varys had own agenda w.r.t. the Targaryen children in exile. What Targaryen loyalists in Westeros saw was that Robert had a hyper-competent spymaster who would be able to find out who was behind any aid the children received. It turns out that Varys may or may not have reported such dealings to Robert depending on what suited him, but Doran could not have known that.

Even if you assume that Varys was all knowing, or assume that everybody assumes that Varys was all knowing, and therefore that nobody dared to act in any way against the Throne, there is the problem that Doran (or rather Oberyn) has concluded the pact with Ser Darry. Concluding such a pact was at least as noticeable to Big Brother Varys as, say, sending anonymous help across the Narrow Sea.

I am not sure it's worthy to examine the counterobjection that the pact was purely Oberyn's idea. I feel so certain of the inexistence of House Martell's help that I wouldn't be surprised that the pact is a later fabrication.

I think the problem wasn't Doran's lack of help for the expedition, after all he had to be very careful to keep it secret. But Quentyn didn't live up to the high expectations of his father. Quentyn couldn't handle Daenerys unexpexted resistance.

If he was so careful to keep it a secret then how did Arianne find out? The OP makes a solid point. There's something really fishy in how haphazard this whole enterprise was. On the surface, it sounds plausible. Doran sends son on secret mission to woo Dragon Queen. But the constant misfortunes they suffer really highlights just how little safeguards they were to make sure it was successful. Even without considering the defiencies in the entourage and the logistics of getting to Meereen, Quentyn himself as a suitor is wholly inadequate. Surely, it wouldn't (or shouldn't) have escaped Doran's attention that his son was lacking in looks and charms. Being earnest and well meaning aren't going to serve you well when making a petition to a Queen on something so important as a marriage pact. The smart thing to have done would have been to send another delegate in Quentyn's place, who could have organized the petition in a way to be more attractive and persuasive, and let the pact be agreed upon before Dany could see exactly who it was she was agreeing to marry.

@Bran Vras, I agree. The dragon book would have been a marvellous gift that Quentyn could have given to Dany. We know that Dany appreciates books as gifts already from her wedding chapter when Jorah presents her with the books on Westerosi history. It could have gone a long way in helping Dany to appreciate Quentyn's value to her cause.

@Bran Vras, I agree. The dragon book would have been a marvellous gift that Quentyn could have given to Dany. We know that Dany appreciates books as gifts already from her wedding chapter when Jorah presents her with the books on Westerosi history. It could have gone a long way in helping Dany to appreciate Quentyn's value to her cause.

And I did not even notice until a moment ago that in the passage above, it is said that Young Griff and co did bring dragon books with them to meet Daenerys. Poor Quentyn, if only Illyrio had prepared his mission.

I am aware of two other illustrations of the shortcomings of Quentyn's quest by contrast with Young Griff's. Here is a description of the contents of Illyrio's chest.

Court clothes, for all our party. Fine woolens, velvets, silken cloaks. One does not come before a queen looking shabby ... nor empty-handed. The magister has been kind enough to provide us with suitable gifts.

The other is in my top ten. It's Tyrion's analysis of Prince Aegon's chances with Dany (observe that Tyrion has no more knowledge than Doran Martell to base his reasoning on, and that Aegon is a superior suitor to Quentyn on every point mentioned):

... assuming that our fair Daenerys takes you for her consort.”

“She will. She must.”

“Must?” Tyrion made a tsking sound. “That is not a word queens like to hear. You are her perfect prince, agreed, bright and bold and comely as any maid could wish. Daenerys Targaryen is no maid, however. She is the widow of a Dothraki khal, a mother of dragons and sacker of cities, Aegon the Conqueror with teats. She may not prove as willing as you wish.”

“She’ll be willing.” Prince Aegon sounded shocked. It was plain that he had never before considered the possibility that his bride-to-be might refuse him. “You don’t know her.” He picked up his heavy horse and put it down with a thump.

The dwarf shrugged. “I know that she spent her childhood in exile, impoverished, living on dreams and schemes, running from one city to the next, always fearful, never safe, friendless but for a brother who was by all accounts half-mad ... a brother who sold her maidenhood to the Dothraki for the promise of an army. I know that somewhere out upon the grass her dragons hatched, and so did she. I know she is proud. How not? What else was left her but pride? I know she is strong. How not? The Dothraki despise weakness. If Daenerys had been weak, she would have perished with Viserys. I know she is fierce. Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen are proof enough of that. She has crossed the grasslands and the red waste, survived assassins and conspiracies and fell sorceries, grieved for a brother and a husband and a son, trod the cities of the slavers to dust beneath her dainty sandaled feet. Now, how do you suppose this queen will react when you turn up with your begging bowl in hand and say, ‘Good morrow to you, Auntie. I am your nephew, Aegon, returned from the dead. I’ve been hiding on a poleboat all my life, but now I’ve washed the blue dye from my hair and I’d like a dragon, please ... and oh, did I mention, my claim to the Iron Throne is stronger than your own?’ ”

Aegon’s mouth twisted in fury. “I will not come to my aunt a beggar. I will come to her a kinsman, with an army.”

“A small army.” There, that’s made him good and angry. The dwarf could not help but think of Joffrey. I have a gift for angering princes. “Queen Daenerys has a large one, and no thanks to you.”

And I did not even notice until a moment ago that in the passage above, it is said that Young Griff and co did bring dragon books with them to meet Daenerys. Poor Quentyn, if only Illyrio had prepared his mission.

I am aware of two other illustrations of the shortcomings of Quentyn's quest by contrast with Young Griff's. Here is a description of the contents of Illyrio's chest.

The other is in my top ten. It's Tyrion's analysis of Prince Aegon's chances with Dany (observe that Tyrion has no more knowledge than Doran Martell to base his reasoning on, and that Aegon is a superior suitor to Quentyn on every point mentioned):

Hmmm, that is interesting, especially the part about the small army. As you mentioned, Quentyn was promising a number that Dorne could not deliver on. And I don't think we can say that it's because of Tyrion's intelligence that he is able to surmise these things. A careful thinker and long term planner like Doran should have realised them too, and it's likely that he did.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think he willingly sacrificed his son for this mission, or was it more a "nothing to lose" scenario?

What it seems to me is that martin set quentyn up to fail from the beginning. Half his party had died before the story had even started! it seems more likely that he had changed his mind after feast and decided to ally dorne to aegon and not daenarys, but since he had alreadys et up the quentyn angle he needed a way to close it. Which he succeeded in doing, just not as well as he could.

Hmmm, that is interesting, especially the part about the small army. As you mentioned, Quentyn was promising a number that Dorne could not deliver on. And I don't think we can say that it's because of Tyrion's intelligence that he is able to surmise these things. A careful thinker and long term planner like Doran should have realised them too, and it's likely that he did.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think he willingly sacrificed his son for this mission, or was it more a "nothing to lose" scenario?

If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a case of sacrificing Quentyn to get him out of the way so Arianne could be the heir. But isn't Arianne already the heir?

The fact that she's holding the book, IMO, is very telling.

If Quentyn was set up to fail, we need to explain a few things:

1) Why would Doran let his own son die?

2) If he wanted to get rid of Quentyn, why do so in such a convoluted way? Was there really a goal to the mission?

3) Even if Doran invested practically nothing in the mission, Quentyn was not that far from succeeding. How did Doran know the mission would fail?

4) If Doran did not want an alliance with Dany, what is House Martell's policy?

I feel well grounded when I propose that Doran did not do his best for the mission. To address the points above I have to enter a more speculative mode. For the moment I'll limit myself to say what I can about 4). I have said already that I amazed more people haven't realized that Doran Martell has built a web of connections with the Free Cities. Consider,

-- He married a Norvoshi.

-- He made a pact witnessed by the Sealord of Braavos.

-- He has fostered the daughter of the Archon of Tyrosh.

-- His brother Oberyn has spend a good part of his life in Essos, and has founded a sellsword company (Is it one we know?).

-- His Seneschal Ricasso is probably an Essosi.

-- He has traveled to Volantis in his youth.

-- His captain of the guard is a Norvoshi.

-- He seems fond of Myrish blankets (gifts?).

-- He has informers in Lys.

-- The red priests are in Sunspear.

-- After Arianne's rebellion, Garin is sent to Tyrosh and Drey to Norvos.

(No sign of relations with Pentos.) So we should not see House Martell as a standard Westerosi House struggling in the Game of Thrones (like the Tyrells, the Lannisters etc). I would suggest that their Rhoynar origin has left a trauma with respect to their relations to dragons and Targaryens. This is the subject of a very speculative thread that never took off.

Since I see Doran Martell as a phony Targaryen loyalist, I'd very much interested in hearing your arguments for this (recall that Viserys sold his mother's crown and was called the Beggar King). Perhaps you can even continue the discussion in the thread about the Braavos pact I mentioned (we are talking here about Quentyn, after all).

It's not a long argument, so I think it fits here just as well. I think the proof that Viserys and Dany were not unprotected is simply the fact that they were fine. During their long years traveling from one Free City to another, they were not killed in a mugging, raped, kidnapped and sold as slaves (can you imagine the price they could have been sold for in a whorehouse?), murdered to curry favour with Robert, or anything bad, really. Ergo, someone must have been watching over them, because that sort of luck just does not happen to two famous, valuable children on a continent like Essos. The protection and help can't have been too obvious, of course, because people would have noticed and started looking in on it otherwise. And I think Viserys was known as Beggar King because he didn't have a household of his own but subsisted on others' hospitality. I find it unbelievable that he'd ever actually had to beg on a streetcorner, or something. We do know he was constantly trying to gather and buy swords, though - I suspect that's the well that swallowed most of the money he got for selling their possessions.

A maester was summoned to participate in the mission, a maester apparently skilled in the languages of the Free Cities and Slaver's bay. So some thinking has been devoted to what kind of knowledge would be useful for the mission. Moreover maester Kedry had given books to Quentyn, that Quentyn dutifully read on the Meadowlark. (Some of those all important books were about the Volantene political system.) Since the dragon book was deliberately given to Arianne, it was not a tome accumulating dust in some disaffected library, but something very much in Doran Martell's mind. Moreover, it was known from the start that the mission was about dragons. So, no, it can't be explained as an oversight in an underprepared journey.

You raise a good point regarding the dragon book, but do we know for sure that Quentyn didn't read about dragons, too? I haven't had a chance to re-read ADWD yet, so I don't remember what he says about this, if anything. And when did Doran acquire the book anyway? Maybe he only got his hands on it after Quentyn had already left.

Another point that needs to be considered is related to something brashcandy said, namely this:

Even without considering the defiencies in the entourage and the logistics of getting to Meereen, Quentyn himself as a suitor is wholly inadequate. Surely, it wouldn't (or shouldn't) have escaped Doran's attention that his son was lacking in looks and charms. Being earnest and well meaning aren't going to serve you well when making a petition to a Queen on something so important as a marriage pact. The smart thing to have done would have been to send another delegate in Quentyn's place, who could have organized the petition in a way to be more attractive and persuasive, and let the pact be agreed upon before Dany could see exactly who it was she was agreeing to marry.

Quentyn was fostered out to Lord Yronwood since he was a child. When was the last time Doran met him? When reading I got the impression that their relationship has pretty much been handled via correspondence all that time. If that's the case, then Doran very possibly does not know what his son was really like, especially if his foster parents and other people who knew the prince exaggerated his good characteristics in their reports. I also got the impression that Quentyn did not visit Sunspear or the Gardens before he left for Meereen. So who was it that arranged all the small details of that trip, such as their luggage and reading material? How much control did Doran have over these things in the end, or could he only make suggestions in his letters while it was left to Lord Yronwood to arrange it all? Maybe there simply wasn't time to start sending books over the sands, or no way to do it secretly.

I think the proof that Viserys and Dany were not unprotected is simply the fact that they were fine. During their long years traveling from one Free City to another, they were not killed in a mugging, raped, kidnapped and sold as slaves (can you imagine the price they could have been sold for in a whorehouse?), murdered to curry favour with Robert, or anything bad, really. Ergo, someone must have been watching over them, because that sort of luck just does not happen to two famous, valuable children on a continent like Essos.

It's true that the children were in danger. You might be right about the guardian angel (Oberyn? The Sealord?). But I have reread closely Dany's account of those years in AGoT and could not find any hint.

You raise a good point regarding the dragon book, but do we know for sure that Quentyn didn't read about dragons, too? I haven't had a chance to re-read ADWD yet, so I don't remember what he says about this, if anything. And when did Doran acquire the book anyway? Maybe he only got his hands on it after Quentyn had already left.

Well Quentyn didn't seem to rely on any knowledge when he attempted to kidnap the dragon. But Dany has read about dragons (nothing of much value I think). As Tyrion tells us, not all books about dragons are equally important, and most of them consist in "idle tales", but not the book in tower of Sunspear.

Quentyn was fostered out to Lord Yronwood since he was a child. When was the last time Doran met him? When reading I got the impression that their relationship has pretty much been handled via correspondence all that time.

I had the same impression until I came across this passage.

“Maester Kedry will accompany you,” his father said the night they parted.

So, it's still unclear how much time Doran had spent with Quentyn over the years, perhaps not much, but they did meet in person before the departure. I have yet to find in the book a genuine sign of affection from Doran towards Quentyn. In particular, when Arianne asks anxiously about Quentyn's fate in ADwD, Doran is evasive and seemingly unconcerned.

Even without considering the defiencies in the entourage and the logistics of getting to Meereen, Quentyn himself as a suitor is wholly inadequate. Surely, it wouldn't (or shouldn't) have escaped Doran's attention that his son was lacking in looks and charms. Being earnest and well meaning aren't going to serve you well when making a petition to a Queen on something so important as a marriage pact. The smart thing to have done would have been to send another delegate in Quentyn's place, who could have organized the petition in a way to be more attractive and persuasive, and let the pact be agreed upon before Dany could see exactly who it was she was agreeing to marry.

I see the point you are getting at, but Quentyn shouldn't need looks and charms - he's a prince. The persuasive organiser role may have originally been filled by the members of the expidition that died before we meet Quentyn.

Perhaps Doran felt he needed to send Quentyn in person to show commitment to Dany's cause? He already decided the mission needs to be small and low key to avoid discovery by the Lannisters, if on top of that he sent only a maester and a couple of household knights it would be indicating to Dany that he doesn't care much about trying to form an alliance.

Why does everything in this series have to be this huge conspiracy? Doran has a plan in place for Arianne and Viserys for years. That plan goes by the wayside when Viserys dies. Shortly after Danys dragons are born. But word of those dragons doesn't start reaching the outside world, especially Westerns until Dany is in Qarth. By the time word of the Dragons reaches Doran she is probably already on her way to Slavers bay, and he starts his new plan for Quentyn. He has to keep it secret, he can't let the Iron Throne find anything out. He trusts that Quent and his household knights can handle the job. Dany just got too caught up in Mereen to realize that she should have taken Quentyns hand in marriage and left Mereen. Take her freed people with her and let Slavers Bay be Slavers Bay.

Quentyn got himself killed. Doran had to keep it secret or Quentyn would have come back to Dorne with Dany, but Dorne would have been destroyed. You send Quentyn out with ships and swords, and someone notices. Why is Dorne sending all these people to Essos? That only leads to problems for all of Dorne. The plot had to be secret. Dany and Quentyn screwed it up.

I see the point you are getting at, but Quentyn shouldn't need looks and charms - he's a prince. The persuasive organiser role may have originally been filled by the members of the expidition that died before we meet Quentyn.

The way I see it is that he needed these things even more because he was a prince. I'm not saying that we should overlook his high birth, or that every prince needs to be drop dead gorgeous, but to send an ugly, inexperienced and naturally shy boy to propose marriage to a woman who is rumored to be the most beautiful in the world doesn't make sense. It would have been better to keep Quentyn in the background, preferably at home, and let Dany at least tentatively agree to marry him on the fulfilment of Dorne's troops. A marriage alliance does not require the two betrothed to be present. Indeed, according to Doran, Arianne and Viserys were supposed to be married, and neither of the two even knew about the existence of the other.

All in all, Dany doesn't reject Quent for his looks, but for the story he tells her about the Water Gardens. What was Doran really arming his son with, when in going to ask for fire and blood, your son talks about idyllic water gardens? It's confusing and contradictory and it's not hard to see why Dany would advise that he go home.

Perhaps Doran felt he needed to send Quentyn in person to show commitment to Dany's cause? He already decided the mission needs to be small and low key to avoid discovery by the Lannisters, if on top of that he sent only a maester and a couple of household knights it would be indicating to Dany that he doesn't care much about trying to form an alliance.

And isn't that exactly how it turned out looking? The mission wasn't simply small, it was completely inadequate and haphazard almost. I have to reread the specifics again, but surely a larger entourage could have been risked and more help secured in light of all the contacts that Doran has in the Free Cities? Also, at the time of the mission, the Iron throne is hardly the power it once was for Doran not to at least attempt sending a greater delegation.

I think being surrounded by a bunch of flighty young women, Doran would have realized that Quentyn would not have made much of an impression on Dany. However, I think the main purpose of the mission was to simply flag to Dany that she had the support of Dorne, and to do so without attracting the attention of the Iron Throne. If Dany had actually agreed to a marriage, that would have been a bonus.

If the whole thing went pear-shaped, Doran had the benefit of deniability and could blame it on a wayward young man's romantic ideals.

All in all, Dany doesn't reject Quent for his looks, but for the story he tells her about the Water Gardens. What was Doran really arming his son with, when in going to ask for fire and blood, your son talks about idyllic water gardens? It's confusing and contradictory and it's not hard to see why Dany would advise that he go home.

And isn't that exactly how it turned out looking? The mission wasn't simply small, it was completely inadequate and haphazard almost. I have to reread the specifics again, but surely a larger entourage could have been risked and more help secured in light of all the contacts that Doran has in the Free Cities? Also, at the time of the mission, the Iron throne is hardly the power it once was for Doran not to at least attempt sending a greater delegation.

Let's look at Quentyn's party. We have

Cletus Yronwood, heir to house Yronwood,

Archibald Yronwood, Cletus' cousin,

Gerris Drinkwater, son of a landed knight sworn to Lord Yronwood,

Willam Wells (except for the freckles we know nothing of him),

Maester Kedry.

It is not said clearly that Willam Wells is a friend to Cletus, Archibald, Gerris and Quentyn, who are definitely childhood friends. Throughout their young life, these fellows have seen little besides the mountains around Yronwood, and for occasional visits, the court at Sunspear. The only thing Quentyn recalls about Cletus, besides his death at the hands of corsairs, concerns his tastes for tavern wenches. Apparently none of these valourous knights has any idea of the subtleties of the Game of Throne (compare with the conversations of Doran with Arianne and the Sand Snakes). Moreover, besides Quentyn, none of them is in the inner circle of Doran, which is curious for a top secret mission, especially if you think that Doran has left Arianne and the Sand Snakes ignorant of the whole thing.

It is important to remember that House Yronwood and House Martell have always had difficult relations, even in recent times. Whether the fostering of Quentyn has mended these relations is an open question.

Then, there is maester Kedry. If Doran was serious about the mission, Kedry had to be the wise man well trusted by the Prince and aware of Dorne's interest. He is not just a maester-for-hire (if there is such a thing). That poses problems, firstly since Arianne does not know him. Hence, I think Kedry has come specifically for the expedition and he is not regularly at Sunspear, where there are already two other maesters. It appears that maester Kedry was sent because of his expertise in the Free Cities and Slaver's Bay (especially of languages spoken there). Quentyn's chapters seem to confirm the authenticity of Kedry's knowledge, and Quentyn regrets Kedry is no more with him to orient him in Volantis. But at not point in Meereen, Quentyn regrets the absence of Kedry when he has to deal with Dany's rejection. In other words, he did not seem to expect political advice from Kedry.

I hadn't quite realized that Quentyn still has a chance, however small, until he mentions the Water Gardens as Dany shows him dragons. Water and Fire don't mix, I guess.

I can't settle the buildup/reputation that GRRM gave for Doran's scheming. FFS, even Oberyn followed Doran for a time (Doran &/or Jon Arryn were the ones who talked him out of fighting against Robert after teh Sack, IIRC) and Tyrion and Tywin both carried clear concerns about plactating the Martells. Dorne, the Dornish, and Doran were and are major figures in Westeros.

Secrecy or not, this just doesn't add up. Between Arianne discovering his letter and the expedition's utter inadequacy...

Doran is either the best schemer or the worst. I doubt that Doran was telling the truth to Arianne, and I'm almost certain that Doran's intention wasn't a marriage between Quentyn and Dany.

As WesternOz suggested, Quentyn may simply have been used to convey that Dorne/Doran were open to an alliance.

Maybe it was a pretext for war? As in, Doran/Dorne have reasons to want Dany/the Dragons dead; Doran might see dragons and an heirless queen as tantamount to monarchial suicide, or possibly defeating/opposing whatever the Citadel is working for. Sarella is in the Citadel, as I recall.

So.. is Doran in league with the Grand Maesters?

I have an idea.

"We are sending a fleet to escort my wife safely back to Westeros. Quentyn will go to greet his mother and keep her company on her way back to Dorne." Instead turn them south to Volantis. No questions asked. This is the same except now there is an army. Keep them somewhat separate and have a few travel to Volantis under the disguise of a slave ship and the others wait out farther to lessen suspicion. Quentyn is then able to track Dany and arrive with an army to take her and her dragons to Dorne.

I can't settle the buildup/reputation that GRRM gave for Doran's scheming. FFS, even Oberyn followed Doran for a time (Doran &/or Jon Arryn were the ones who talked him out of fighting against Robert after teh Sack, IIRC) and Tyrion and Tywin both carried clear concerns about plactating the Martells. Dorne, the Dornish, and Doran were and are major figures in Westeros.

Secrecy or not, this just doesn't add up. Between Arianne discovering his letter and the expedition's utter inadequacy...

Doran is either the best schemer or the worst. I doubt that Doran was telling the truth to Arianne, and I'm almost certain that Doran's intention wasn't a marriage between Quentyn and Dany.

As WesternOz suggested, Quentyn may simply have been used to convey that Dorne/Doran were open to an alliance.

Maybe it was a pretext for war? As in, Doran/Dorne have reasons to want Dany/the Dragons dead; Doran might see dragons and an heirless queen as tantamount to monarchial suicide, or possibly defeating/opposing whatever the Citadel is working for. Sarella is in the Citadel, as I recall.

So.. is Doran in league with the Grand Maesters?

Yes, things aren't adding up. Everyone else in Doran's household was more concerned about revenge than he was, and when it comes time for Doran to arrange his master plot, he sends Quentyn and what amounts to a childhood gang and a maester? If Doran isn't the type to waste resources, then why take such a risk in sending your son? Even Quentyn know he's unworthy of attracting Dany's interest:

The most beautiful woman in the world, thought Quentyn. My bride to be, if the gods are good. Sometimes at night he lay awake imagining her face and form, and wondering why such a woman would ever want to marry him, of all the princes in the world. I am Dorne, he told himself. She will want Dorne.

Quentyn had no idea what Daenerys Targaryen might like. He had promised his father that he would bring her back to Dorne, but more and more he wondered if he was equal to the task.

I never asked for this, he thought.

Anyways, I do think his plan was never to align with the Targs - not seriously. I do think he wanted Dany to believe that she could count on Dorne's support however, and went out of his way to make it appear so to his son.

He may indeed be in league with the grand masters at the Citadel, or he has his own plans to thwart the return of the dragons. After all, does a man who values the peace and tranquility of the water gardens, really desire the destructive hell of fire and blood?

Archived