Gendry and Arya

Cap Ou Pas Cap

I like Arya and Gendry together but it seems like Arya has a lot to get through before she can even think about a romantic relationship. I still feel like we will hear more from Gendry before the series is through.

I don't dislike Gendry, but I'm one that I just don't like Arya and Gendry together that way.

One, I don't know how easy it would be to overcome their stations in life.

For all that Arya is a hoyden, she certainly turned on: "Do you know who my father is," when she needed to get back into the city from chasing cats all night.

And Gendry finding out he's the Kings bastard does nothing to make up the fact that he probably can't even read.

He also became pretty subservient when he found out who she was.

Thats the practical, or logical reasoning on my part, but also too, I actually think having one nice guy be her protector, and Brother figure until she can be with her family is a good thing too.

It would also be a departure from his own Father who never would have respected a woman enough to be merely her friend.

I think Aryas future is either going to be with Tristen of Dorne, Ned Dayne, or even Aegon.

Given the foreshadowing in the naming of their direwolves, Arya's Nymeria who acts every bit the warrior queen, may tell us that Arya's destiny lie with the Dornish in some capacity.

It would certainly be an irony if Aegon is real, and Arya who looks like Lyanna, would eventually give birth to a Princess who looks like Rhaenys, or Elia Martel.

I think that arya might run into the other storm bAstard edric storm since he is in Essos as well. I just thought that gendry would fall for Willow since she was similar to arya and she needed his protection. Edric storm was also similar to Robert and renly but closer to arya's age as well. his personality is very sociable and I like him as a compliment to arya's deadly serious mood. I think its a nice and plausible match.

I like them both, but for now, I don't see them ending up TOGETHER as a couple. I think if they are alive in the end they'll end up as good friends, like Robert and Eddard's friendship. I don't see Arya as a 'lady' I don't even think she'll marry someone atm. I believe Gendry will play a big role in the future books (i mean he's been appearing in different person's pov. and been surviving for so long now, he's more than a minor character -- i believe.)

For now, I just want more actions from them as individual characters. But, of course, I miss the times that they were together. :laugh:

• 4 months later...

I loved the pack - Gendry, Hot Pie and Arya. I hope the 3 see each other again.

I think Gendry had a tiny crush on her. He seemed quite miffed by Edric Dayne. I wonder if that powered his decision to stay with BwB? He knew that he would have no place in her life?

He was knighted by Beric, and a knight can make a knight.

I wonder what will happen when Brienne and Jamie reach the Brotherhood? Brienne had put two and two together. Plus, Stannis knows who Gendry is. He went with Jon Arryn to visit Tobo and ask about Gendry. (I keep feeling that Stannis will take the black and will legitimize Robert's three reamaining children to continue the Baratheon line. Poor little Shireen is barren is she not?)

I don't see Arya have a tranditional Westerosi relationship. She and Gendry might knock about together though.

Was it not Jamie that said that Arya should remain "hidden/gone" if she was still alive when talking to Brienne. He finished that by saying she should find a nice blacksmith and get married did he not? I laughed.

I think Arya had the kind of feelings for Gendry that she would have been stunned to know she had. Had she not gone to Braavos, one day, when she was 14 and she saw him talking to a girl, it would wake the green eyed monster inside her and realize her feelings went beyond friendship.

But, she did go and left all that was Arya behind. I think he might save her life one day or something but the romance option is gone.

I have just remembered the talk between Robert and Eddard and decided to believe in foreshadowing.

Robert: I have a son, you have a daughter, we'll join our blood.

No names were mentioned :smug:

This! :agree:

BUT, if we accept that Lyanna went with Rhaegar willingly, then that meant she didn't love Robert...he loved her, but she didn't love him. If stories repeat themselves, as has been suggested elsewhere in the forums, then the stand-in Robert (Gendry) and the stand-in Lyanna (Arya) won't end up together....she'll choose a Targ.

Sad to say, I think it's wishful thinking to imagine Gendry having some sort of happy ending with Arya. Robert's memory has become less important as the books progress - it's all about the Targs!

I don't like Aegon. I ship Aegon/death.

Aurane Waters is perfect for Arya imo.

Copy/Paste.

Arya liked the sailors in Braavos. She likes the harbor and the ships.

the Ragman’s Harbor, a poorer, rougher, dirtier port than the Purple. Cat liked it best of any place in Braavos. She liked the noise and the strange smells, and seeing what ships had come in on the evening tide and what ships had departed. She liked the sailors too;

In AGoT she thought that the idea of being a stowaway was cool.

Aurane was the Master of Ships.

He stole Cersei's ships which should gain him points with Arya. Arya also said that she could never love a coward. I think his move in AFFC showed bravery.

He is a bastard which Arya seems to like. Despite being a bastard he is still opportunistic so he may not have such insecurities over his status.

He has Jon's dry humor.

“He is dead then? Ser Gregor?” “I would think so, my lord,” Aurane Waters said dryly. “I am told that removing the head from the body is often mortal.”Cersei favored him with a smile; she liked a bit of wit, so long as she was not its target.

“Stannis will need another Hand,” observed Aurane Waters with a chuckle. “The turnip knight, perhaps?”

“A turnip knight?” said Ser Harys Swyft, confused. “Who is this man? I have not heard of him.”

Waters did not reply, except to roll his eyes".

“His Grace is growing fond of you.” (Melisandre)

“I can tell. He only threatened to behead me twice.” (Jon)

I think she would like someone with Jon's qualities.

He employs criminals. I don't think he's that moralistic which should be good because Arya is a killer.

He seems intelligent and he's handsome. His father was described as handsome so he should age well.

He was compared to Rhaegar while she was with Lyanna. He's 22/23. Arya should be 12. There was a similar age gap b/w Rhaegar/Lyanna.

He's described as lean and handsome with long hair.

...the handsome young Bastard of Driftmark, Aurane Waters. It was not the first time the queen had made note of Waters, a lean young man with grey green eyes and long silver-gold hair. The first time she had seen him, for half a heartbeat she had almost thought Rhaegar Targaryen had returned from the ashes. It is his hair, she told herself. He is not half as comely as Rhaegar was.

Jaqen didn't have the same hair color or features but he had the same body type and length of hair. Arya found that pleasing to the eye.

“He was the youngest of the three, slender, fine-featured, always smiling…”

"A man does not choose his companions in the black cells," the handsome one with the red-and-white hair said.

“She found Jaqen soaking in a tub, steaming rising around him as a serving girl sluiced hot water over his head. His long hair, red on one side and white on the other, fell down across his shoulders, wet and heavy.”

Although I admit Arya wanting to run away and be an outlaw with Gendry was cute.

Beric would find her there. Anguy would teach her to use a bow, and she could ride with Gendry and be an outlaw, like Wenda the White Fawn in the songs. But that was just stupid, like something Sansa might dream.

I loved the pack - Gendry, Hot Pie and Arya. I hope the 3 see each other again.

I think Gendry had a tiny crush on her. He seemed quite miffed by Edric Dayne. I wonder if that powered his decision to stay with BwB? He knew that he would have no place in her life?

He was knighted by Beric, and a knight can make a knight.

Yes I think that is exactly what happened. Gendry was brought up as a lowborn bastard apprentice. The first thing he said to Arya after she revealed who she was to him was that she was highborn and he knew how he was supposed to treat her, by saying My Lady, etc.

I wonder what will happen when Brienne and Jamie reach the Brotherhood? Brienne had put two and two together. Plus, Stannis knows who Gendry is. He went with Jon Arryn to visit Tobo and ask about Gendry. (I keep feeling that Stannis will take the black and will legitimize Robert's three reamaining children to continue the Baratheon line. Poor little Shireen is barren is she not?)

Shireen is all of 12 and hasn't been married or in the position of trying to bear a child yet so we don't know. I suppose her condition could be something that might cause her to be barren, depending on if those organs were affected.

I don't see Arya have a tranditional Westerosi relationship. She and Gendry might knock about together though.

Was it not Jamie that said that Arya should remain "hidden/gone" if she was still alive when talking to Brienne. He finished that by saying she should find a nice blacksmith and get married did he not? I laughed.

Yes that line from Jaime was funny but actually he and Brienne were talking about Sansa when he said that.

This! :agree:

BUT, if we accept that Lyanna went with Rhaegar willingly, then that meant she didn't love Robert...he loved her, but she didn't love him. If stories repeat themselves, as has been suggested elsewhere in the forums, then the stand-in Robert (Gendry) and the stand-in Lyanna (Arya) won't end up together....she'll choose a Targ.

Sad to say, I think it's wishful thinking to imagine Gendry having some sort of happy ending with Arya. Robert's memory has become less important as the books progress - it's all about the Targs!

Well, GRRM does like to have history repeat itself but with the second time having the opposite outcome. Tyrion's two trial by battles are examples of this. So, this could lead to the Robert and Lyanna history repeating itself with their children but with them happily together.

I don't like Aegon. I ship Aegon/death.

Aurane Waters is perfect for Arya imo.

Copy/Paste.

Arya liked the sailors in Braavos. She likes the harbor and the ships.

In AGoT she thought that the idea of being a stowaway was cool.

Aurane was the Master of Ships.

He stole Cersei's ships which should gain him points with Arya. Arya also said that she could never love a coward. I think his move in AFFC showed bravery.

He is a bastard which Arya seems to like. Despite being a bastard he is still opportunistic so he may not have such insecurities over his status.

He has Jon's dry humor.

I think she would like someone with Jon's qualities.

He employs criminals. I don't think he's that moralistic which should be good because Arya is a killer.

He seems intelligent and he's handsome. His father was described as handsome so he should age well.

He was compared to Rhaegar while she was with Lyanna. He's 22/23. Arya should be 12. There was a similar age gap b/w Rhaegar/Lyanna.

He's described as lean and handsome with long hair.

Jaqen didn't have the same hair color or features but he had the same body type and length of hair. Arya found that pleasing to the eye.

Although I admit Arya wanting to run away and be an outlaw with Gendry was cute.

Pirate Waters and Lady Stark? I like it.

Since he was known as the Bastard of Driftmark and Jon the Bastard of Winterfell, is it then safe to assume that Aurane's father had him brought up in his keep in a fashion similar to Jon?

I think ole Aurane was always up to something. He was forced to swear fealty to the Faux Baratheons because of the defeat at Blackwater. I don't know if he remains loyal to Stannis, but Cersei being vain and stupid has allowed Aurane to wreak havoc in a capacity he would have never have had without her.

I don't know that I ship Arya / Gendry so much as I saw great parallels between Ned/Robert and Arya/Gendry. They were bound together by youth, friendship and trials. Gendry seems to have quite a few of Robert's good qualities without having some of his vices like whoring and drinking. Arya has Ned's loyalty and strength but is more open and personable.

I am just a sucker for good friendships and those two seemed to take each other at face value. I think Gendry's notions about class began to cloud their relationship, but they were sweet and loyal to one another.

Yeah some good arguments are made for Aurane. He's certainly an intriguing character that I hope we'll get to see more of! But Arya has never met him so at this point in the story they would have no history together. Of course we don't know what's in store for Arya in the next two books but I feel like the Arya-Gendry relationship was built up very well earlier on.

Lol Arya_Nym, I loved all those quotes of Arya admiring Jaqen's physical manliness! I will add though that she also admired Gendry's muscular physique and how strong he was when he was working at the smithy in Harenhall with no shirt on. :cool4:

Since he was known as the Bastard of Driftmark and Jon the Bastard of Winterfell, is it then safe to assume that Aurane's father had him brought up in his keep in a fashion similar to Jon?

I think ole Aurane was always up to something. He was forced to swear fealty to the Faux Baratheons because of the defeat at Blackwater. I don't know if he remains loyal to Stannis, but Cersei being vain and stupid has allowed Aurane to wreak havoc in a capacity he would have never have had without her.

I don't know that I ship Arya / Gendry so much as I saw great parallels between Ned/Robert and Arya/Gendry. They were bound together by youth, friendship and trials. Gendry seems to have quite a few of Robert's good qualities without having some of his vices like whoring and drinking. Arya has Ned's loyalty and strength but is more open and personable.

I am just a sucker for good friendships and those two seemed to take each other at face value. I think Gendry's notions about class began to cloud their relationship, but they were sweet and loyal to one another.

Agreed. I believe that he did have a similar upbringing.

Yes, I think class did get in the way but they were good as friends while it lasted.

Yeah some good arguments are made for Aurane. He's certainly an intriguing character that I hope we'll get to see more of! But Arya has never met him so at this point in the story they would have no history together. Of course we don't know what's in store for Arya in the next two books but I feel like the Arya-Gendry relationship was built up very well earlier on.

Lol Arya_Nym, I loved all those quotes of Arya admiring Jaqen's physical manliness! I will add though that she also admired Gendry's muscular physique and how strong he was when he was working at the smithy in Harenhall with no shirt on. :cool4:

Yes. That's a problem. I ship them but will be fully on board if they ever meet and like one another. Although I would prefer her at age 13 at least.

I don't get when it's sometimes said that Arya doesn't care about looks in a male btw. She notes Jaqen's looks too many times for that to be true imo.

LOL, I left out more:

“A man must be ashamed of the company he keeps, Arry, “ the handsome one said. “This man has the honor to be Jaqen H’ghar…”

“…she could not see his face, even inches away. She could smell him, though; his skin smelled clean and soapy, and he had scented his hair.”

For Gendry there were a few times.

“When she spied Gendry, his bare chest was slick with sweat, but the blue eyes under the heavy black hair had the stubborn look she remembered. Arya didn’t know that she even wanted to talk to him. It was his fault they’d all ben caught.”

“Lommy didn’t dare mock the Bull. He was older, and big for his age, with a broad chest and strong-looking arms.”

“She watched the play of muscles in his chest and listened to the steel music he made. He’s strong, she thought.”

“No place for a little girl to be wandering alone.” “She’s not alone.” Gendry looked almost a man grown and dangerous.”

Arya_Nym I wish I could like this post. I agree, Arya for all that she comes across like she doesn't care about looks or romance she definitely has her moments of male appreciation. She also seemed to find Edric Dayne attractive. I think it's because of her age. She's really not yet at the age of thinking romantically about a guy but like you said, once she's a little older, say 13, I think there's quite a bit of evidence that she wouldn't reject romance. That's the annoying part about not having the 5 year gap anymore. I wonder if we will ever even get to see that stage of maturity for her.

She is 11 in Dance is she not? Did she just turn 11 or is she pushing 12? Her tendency to fudge her age makes it all a little misty in my mind. Perhaps, depending on the length of time covered in the next two books, she could be 14-15 by the end. That would put her at an age with Lyanna at Harranhall.

I don't see her settling down in a traditional relationship. Given what they have all been through, I don't see their brothers forcing either Sansa or Arya into a match once the dust clears. (I hope they all make it. More dead Starks might be more than I could bear.)

If Arya does end up in a standard land/holdfast setting I would like for her to be in charge like Maege. Maybe then marrying a bastard or having one with her would be an advantage? No one knows who fathered all of Maege's girls.

Arya_Nym I wish I could like this post. I agree, Arya for all that she comes across like she doesn't care about looks or romance she definitely has her moments of male appreciation. She also seemed to find Edric Dayne attractive. I think it's because of her age. She's really not yet at the age of thinking romantically about a guy but like you said, once she's a little older, say 13, I think there's quite a bit of evidence that she wouldn't reject romance. That's the annoying part about not having the 5 year gap anymore. I wonder if we will ever even get to see that stage of maturity for her.

I know. :crying: I want to like your comment too.

Yes, I think because of her age it wasn't sexual. More like innocent observations.

I also got the impression that she thought Edric was cute. There's no proof but I found her to be suspiciously well behaved (relatively) until he brought up Ashara. She was minding her manners and was trying to make him feel better. I thought it was so cute when they watched the sunset together. If only they had been older...

I thought that she would be romantic because she wanted to be an outlaw with Gendry. Imagine if she had been in puberty and had romantic feelings attached to that.

She is 11 in Dance is she not? Did she just turn 11 or is she pushing 12? Her tendency to fudge her age makes it all a little misty in my mind. Perhaps, depending on the length of time covered in the next two books, she could be 14-15 by the end. That would put her at an age with Lyanna at Harranhall.

I don't see her settling down in a traditional relationship. Given what they have all been through, I don't see their brothers forcing either Sansa or Arya into a match once the dust clears. (I hope they all make it. More dead Starks might be more than I could bear.)

If Arya does end up in a standard land/holdfast setting I would like for her to be in charge like Maege. Maybe then marrying a bastard or having one with her would be an advantage? No one knows who fathered all of Maege's girls.

I've never done the calculations myself but based on others who did the timeline for her chapters by counting the moon turns in Braavos she is 12. I think GRRM found a way to accelerate her chapters a bit even without the gap.

IA. I don't see her in a traditional relationship either.

I agree with this analysis, and believe that Gendry is not his Father in the respect that women are to be viewed through only one prism, but can respect a woman enough to be her protector.

And if you recall, when Arya was trying to get back into the City after chasing cats, she sure became LADY Arya real quick with "do you know who my Father is?'

So, I think there is a point to be made that eventually, and no matter how open and accepting Arya is, class differences would be too much for pehaps Gendry to overcome.

I said in another post that as Arya matures she will most likely have men love her without her even being aware of it, and I could see Aurane being one of those men, but Arya just keeps moving on, trying to get home.

Because of Maggie the Frogs prophesy and it's impact on Cersei, and her naming her Direwolf after a Queen from Dornish lore, I almost ship Aegon and Arya, (though he is about eight years older than her), but thought the theory was a little off seeing as he probably is a fake.

However, after doing a re-read on Aegons character, and not liking it, I am almost afraid that she will end up in his orbit, especially as JonCon is leaving him unmarried, holding out for Dany when and IF she ever gets there, but in the meantime, that does give Arya time to flower and get back to Westeros.

And then I worry she crosses swords with Gerold Dayne.

If you look at the symbolism of Nymeria who is killing any wolf who tries to mate with her, it's going to take an equally lethal male to possibly mate with Arya, but I can't see her choosing someone like Darkstar.

In the end, if she wants a mate, I hope it is Edric Dayne.

Not so sure about Arya and Edric Dayne -- he is a stupid liar after all. I can see Arya and Gendry happening. Well, I could see it if she wasn't bound on the path she's on. At the moment, it doesn't look like she's likely to end up with anyone. I just hope that If Arya and Gendry meet again the Hot Pie that was Promised is with them as well.

The Hot Pie that was promised = Rolling! (Sob! I really want the "wolf pack" or as I think of them "the three muskateers of Westeros" to meet back up. - Total fangirl hope.)

I don't know that she will ever have a relationship. Quite frankly the path she is on makes me fear for her longevity.

I remain hopeful though and want the lady to find someone that accepts her for who she is. I still ship Gendry because Baratheon + Stark makes me happy. Hey - He could marry Sansa, but do I really want to do that to the poor boy? Runs!

I wonder if Martin would do a flip flop....

Lyanna Stark was promised to Robert Baratheon and headed off with a Targaryen.

Arya could seem destined for a Targaryen and leaves him for her true love, a Baratheon. (Hopefully, sans that the deadly repercussions.) - I did not have this idea. Another poster whose name I cannot remember theorized it, and I liked it. :)

Archived